25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 4:01 PM by black_zion

My $500 paperweight

black_zion

Until the motherboard ships...Odd that it was made in China, usually AMD chips are made in Taiwan.

Ryzen.jpg

• Re: My $500 paperweight
          goodplay

Been wondering why you hadn't posted anything on your build.

Most processors from AMD that I got in touch are diffused in Germany and made in Malaysia, several are made in China. Very rare chips in current days are Made in Taiwan, especially for those based on Jaguar microarchitecture, they might use the TSMC foundry rather than GlobalFoundries. As to Diffused in USA, this is the very first time that I found for more a decade. It is really charming, but to me, a little bit sick (made in China, oh, no never, I dislike it!).

The physical package, I mean the box, is quite similar as the days when Athlon 64 was releasing, large and dark coloured. But the Athlon 64 introduced the new ISA and new platform changes, but Ryzen, besides performance, what does it really introduce? But the price, ..., OK, I never have the purpose to afford it, and frankly, I am tired of Made in China completely! If in the future, I have the plans to customise AMD Ryzen based servers, I would select processors made in somewhere else.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              ibanggpu

Can the ryzen even run overwatch?

dark3063

its still made in taiwan it's just amd's getting pressured by chinese to change it because they get too triggered otherwise just like how if it said made in south dakota the east coast of the united states would get triggered

No, definitely, Made In China is Made In China, Made In Taiwan is Made In Taiwan actually! There is nothing made or manufactured in Taiwan, use word or phrase China instead! Please do not confuse or mislead others!

dark3063

There is nothing made or manufactured in Taiwan?

sir you just contradicted yourself and by doing so you are misleading and confusing others

Sorry, you get me wrong, or in other words, you interpret my words wrong! I said "There is nothing made or manufactured in Taiwan, use word or phrase China instead!"

Things made in Taiwan would be labelled with "Made In Taiwan" only, there is no business with "Made In China“! But there lie some other situations, such as Taiwanese companies operate their factories in China mainland, such as annoy Foxconn Shenzhen. Things manufactured there would be labelled with "Made In China" rather than "Made In Taiwan". Taiwanese companies operate more and more factories in China mainland, such as ASUSTek, Gigabyte, ASRock and so on. Many products are manufactured in those factories too, they are labelled with "Designed in Taiwan, Made in China".

As to the AMD processors, nowadays, very few are made in Taiwan. But if in the last century, most AMD processors could be seen with label "Made In Taiwan"! As the "Diffused in USA", OK, I know years ago, many AMD processors were also diffused in Singapore, Assembly in Singapore or Malaysia. Later almost the entire AMD processors were diffused in Germany. Taiwan has their own semi factory, so there would be hope that AMD processors would be diffused in Taiwan too. I just wish you understand and read the whole sentence of others before making any other unfair judgement!

dark3063

read the whole sentence of others before making any other unfair judgement

no i did read your whole sentence you didn't explain as that in the first place and its kind of hard not to view it as my comment because china is invading the Taiwanese people and trying to change everything about them as amd diffused and changed where things are manufactured so much it was a bit off for something that had such a short run compared to the other diffused places

ambrose

Hello,

Very nice, Hope everything arrives undamaged, as to the build Please do a Vanilla Build for the time being. Always nice to see a " Sleeper " and see just how a bone-stock build does measure up in " Real World User " applications.

Cheers, Ambrose

P.S. Think you can do something with mine, heheheheh

480863763.jpg

black_zion

So, my 1800X (I keep wanting to say X1800, which was a really horrid video card) will be up and running as soon as Amazon gets my X370-Pro to me, Corsair gets my bracket to me, and Amazon gets my Samsung 960 Evo to me, so I went ahead and ran 4 benchmarks that I'm going to compare the two processors with. The first is Haven, it's still a synthetic, but I like it better than 3DMark in terms of judging performance, as 3DMark is more about performing badly no matter what you have, while Haven is more about performing more like an actual game would. The second is the built in CPU-z benchmark. The third is the Blender test using the same file AMD used in their demonstration (that's 2:38.69 render time, I forgot it kept looping and it was partway through when I took the shot). The last is a Samsung Magician benchmark on my games drive (non OS), and is being used to compare the SATA performance between the 990FX (and to an extent the 500, 600, 700, and 800 series chipset SATA performance because AMD hasn't had a truly new chipset since 2005 or so), mainly as far as IOPS performance goes, which as you can see is quite a bit lower than its rating.

I had PLANNED to run the Prime95 benchmark but that'd take ages and generate a result file pages long, so no. And of course, I will still be using Windows 7, but on a fresh install (UGH!) on my new 960 Evo NVMe drive.

8350.jpg

8350 CPUz.PNG

RyzenGraphic_27.png

Samsum D.PNG

I am so interested in the benchmark provided by the CPU-Z, it almost tells the true story about the actual performance of processors. I used it to benchmark Pentium E6300 (2.8GHz) and Athlon II 245(2.9GHz), it did really tell the story because the scores of the former is much higher the latter. Yeah, that exposes the actual performance of a processor. From  http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen%207%201800X.html , one could find Ryzen 7 1800X is a 8 core processors (16 threads available). But I have no ideas why that CPU-Z just recognises only 8 threads and makes it grey. The score of single thread is 1337, but 8 (or 16) threads just perform such a lower score, I feel its performance it is not that idealised. Because 1337 x 8 = 10 696, if 16 threads enabled, the final score should be above on it, but the score of 7706 seems a little bit disappointed without seeing the improvements brought up by the newly introduced SMT feature. In other words, the whole performance of this processor does not seem so balanced. Or the mutual locks represent  the bottlenecks exposing the weakness on this revolutionary microarchitecture. I could not documents on the AMD version of SMT, will it work similar as Intel Hyper Threading? I would fear about that, because HT is much more difficult to implement, so I might guess AMD possibly use another simpler technology to implement their SMT feature. In the abandoned Alpha/AMD Hammer Microarchitecture, Alpha implemented a very special SMT, like the integer core found on AMD Bulldozer microarchitecture, but two threads could be combined together to build up an even thicker thread. SMT is also very common for PowerPC processors, such as IBM PowerPC processors and SIT CELL processors. They are very simple, each scalar contain only one thread. There are no concepts found on Intel HT. When working as an AIX maintainer, I found the performance improved a little bit when enabled SMT.

SMT and Multi Core look similar, but have a very different and even opposite motivation. Multi-Core design is using more and more affordable computing cores to boost the applications to extends; while the SMT is designed to make full use of the current infrastructure provided by the microarchitecture, especially when only one thread exist, the resources are hard to fully utilised. This happens when superscalar and pipelining technology are introduced into processor design. 

atlasminor

The X370 is the full-fat Frappuccino of the bunch. It’s the only one that unlocks Ryzen’s ability to split PCIe lanes between a pair of x16 slots for double-barreled SLI or CrossFireX. Teaming GPUs is practically required for 4K gaming at 60 FPS and max settings....

What Asus is  officially boasting:

Which ASUS AM4 motherboard should I buy for Ryzen? - Edge Up

I'm liking the new look HTLM5 is doing, very easy to navigate. The pricing on these is absolutely crazy affordable. Price chart at bottom of article. Would have chose this if not for receiving Skylake model recently, not by choice, an couldn't use AMD for it because of the way its built.

black_zion

amdmatt  delete this topic, due to Microsoft terminating all Windows 7 and 8.1 updates for users of Ryzen and Kaby Lake processors, I will not be upgrading my machine, am returning the 1800X and RAM, and canceled my ASUS X370-Pro and Samsung 960 Evo 250gb NVMe.