5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2017 11:29 PM by yoshimatsu414

Freesync Stuttering Help!

localh85

I am having trouble with getting Freesync to work in any situation, including the Windmill demo.

I get stuttering every 2 seconds or so.

Monitor: u32e850r (Samsung's latest drivers)

- Ultimate Engine and Displayport 1.2

GPU: Fury X

Radeon Settings: Freesync On

- Global Settings: Vsync off unless program specified (tried all options however)

- Driver: 17.3.1

- FRTC: Tried disabled, 59 fps, 57 fps, 65 fps

Windows 10

i7 4930k

16 gb ram

• Re: Freesync Stuttering Help!
          mack0y

Same.  Tried every driver after 17.1.2.  They all have that stutter every few seconds including the Windmill demo.  Especially evident in the demo using the test pattern.  If I downgrade to 17.1.2 driver without uninstalling the current driver, the stutter is gone without even the need of restarting the PC after downgrading.

Windows 10

R9 390

Viewsonic XG2401

mack0y

I found the culprit at least in my case.  It's flux.  With flux open, stuttering occurs with freesync on.  Exit flux and no stuttering.  I guess something changed after driver 17.1.2 that affects flux.  Now using 17.4.1.   Checked out the flux forums and it looks like even the developer knows the recent drivers do not work properly with flux.  Wished I found out this sooner. 

yoshimatsu414

I have the same issue right now on 17.5.2 driver on a similar monitor (24inch model). The stuttering, or more like a pause every couple seconds is happening in all the games I play in Borderless Fullscreen mode when I have FreeSync enabled. It's very annoying and makes the games unplayable.

I don't have FLUX so that's not the problem for me but when I disable FreeSync problem is gone so it's definitely related to that. Whats even stranger about this issue is that I had to RMA my previous RX470 but when it was working this problem wasn't happening. This problem wasn't even happening with the RX 460 I was using temporarily just last week while I was waiting to get my other RX 470, but now this issue has reared it's head with the new card and I don't think I really changed anything else...

I'm gonna keep snooping around but is this a known issue with the RX470 and latest drivers or something that AMD is going to fix? Does anyone have any suggestions??

yoshimatsu414

This issue becomes more pronounced when framerate of the game in boarderless full screen mode drops below the maximum refresh rate.