3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2017 9:26 AM by redfury

R9 290 not detected randomly

kryostat

My Sapphire r9 290 reference card has never been overclocked and has been operating for 3-ish years without any problems. Suddenly about a month ago both my monitors would go black and audio will continue to play properly.

On restart, the video card will not output anything, motherboard or teamviewer can still be used to access the computer. When checking device manager, the R9 290 is not detected. In order to fix the problem I have tried reapplying thermal paste, reseating the card and using different PCIE slots. Performing these tasks seem to randomly fix the problem. I have had consistent luck fixing the problem by simply " pushing " or adjusting the card slightly on the board but the problem has always come back over time. The problem probably has something to do with the PCIE connection? (That is my guess)

I have tried multiple different versions of drivers, and have used DDU as well as the official driver uninstaller but the problem still persists. The card will work for between 30 mins to 48 hours randomly.

I have tried the card in other systems but it has similar problems.

On physical examination, the card " seems " to be okay however when sitting in the PCIE slots, it seems to be able to shift heavily to one side ( not sure if that is normal ).

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Any help would be appreciated otherwise I may just have to live without a graphics card until Vega is released!

Edit : Failures occur randomly, on desktop without load, in games under load. I have never seen the card exceed safe temperatures, (without load ~32 celcius, with load max~80)

System specs :

850W XFX PSU
      Asus Z87 Pro
      i5-4870
      8GB DDR3 G-skill  2x4 GB
      Sapphire R9 290, 4GB, 512-bit GDD

• Re: R9 290 not detected randomly
          redfury

Drivers or other software will not help you with this problem. It looks like you have PCIe slot degradation.Or something like that.

You need to align your video card in horizontal direction and fixate it by something. Use your fantasy

Or lay your PC on its side.(as temporary workaround)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              kryostat

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Is there anything that I can do to minimize PCIe slot degradation? (What is PCIe slot degradation, have had no luck googling it).

The problem would be from the male PCIe connector on the graphics card degrading not the female slot on the motherboard right? Since the card has the same problems on different PCIe 3.0 slots from different systems.

I tried aligning the graphics card horizontally but for now it seems to only work when the case is literally upside down (and it only intermittently works like that). I'll try to make a more permanent bracket for it to sit with, do you think there might be intermittent issues even with a metal bracket due to further degradation?

redfury

I meant physical degradation.Your PCIe slot (and your GPU PCIe contacts too) can be damaged due to GPU plate biasing.

Try to fixate your GPU by metal or wooden bracket. If you will find a sweet spot (good contact) it can stop your GPU disconnection.

But if you saying that your GPU has problems in other motherboards it can mean that it can have additional problems (probably with GPU power connectors)