25 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2017 1:00 PM by sujitubhi05

R9 290X Driver Issue

xuan

I have been happily using my R9 290X for many years and updating the drivers as I go with no problem, then comes the latest driver 17.2.1.

Motherboard: MSI Z170A-G45 Gaming

CPU: i7-6700k 4.00Ghz

Ram: 8 GB

GPU: Sapphire R9 290X 4GB

OS: Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1 on Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB

Problem 1: Installed 17.2.1, rebooted computer back into windows all works fine, then some screen tearing and this error message “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered” then BSoD. Windows reboots and after the first Windows splash screen just a black screen and nothing else.

Problem 2: After installing driver and restarting computer, Windows reboots and after the first Windows splash screen just a black screen and nothing else.

Attempt 1.

Rebooted into Safe Mode

Used DDU to remove any old drivers

Rebooted back into Windows

Make sure all Windows update are installed

Clean Registry using Ccleaner

Disable all antivirus software

Install 17.2.1 in administrator mode

Back to Problem 1.

Attempt 2.

Rebooted into Safe Mode

Install 16.9.2 in administrator mode

Back to Problem 2.

Attempt 3.

Clear CMOS

Rebooted into Safe Mode

Update all BIOS to latest version.

Install 16.9.2 in administrator mode

Back to Problem 2.

Multiple Attempt

Rebooted into Safe Mode

Install the following drivers (15.12, 15.6, 16.12.2, 1611.5) in administrator mode

All Back to Problem 2.

Now stuck with “Standard CGA Graphics Adapter” and attempt to install any AMD driver throws me back to problem 1 or 2.

I have backed team RED for many years now, yes I know your drivers can be problematic in the past, but nothing like this. Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: R9 290X Driver Issue
          rbrufin

I have the same issue. I'm running sapphire r9 270x vapor-x OC 2Gb DDR5. I was playing Dota2 then suddenly my screen goes black. Reboot my computer then after windows boot it just went black screen. Only works if i ran safe mode. Tried the same thing that you did but nothing works. I also tried to use the graphics card on a different computer and same thing happens, its just black screen. Hope AMD will find a solution to this issue. I tried to search about this issue on a different forums and so far i haven't found any fix.

xuan

Yes, this issue is very frustrating. I can not play any games now thanks to the latest driver, if I install 17.2.1 I might 30 minute before the system crash and any other driver I'm just staring at a black screen. I have considered getting another SSD and making a complete new installation of the OS as mentioned by "redfury" and see if that would works. If no luck with that then I sorry to say I'm going team Green (1080ti).

If I do get another SSD and reinstall windows and everything is working well I will post it here if it help anyone else with the same problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  jonh86

You're almost certainly wasting your time. It sounds like the problem I have and it's a driver problem for sure. The only real solution to ditch amd cards. I wish I was telling my friendson about what a great decision it was to splash out on an xfire setup but all I will tell them is avoid amd like the plague. We can do nothing but wait and see what happens. This is not on the known issue list and the amd_mat isn't talking about passing it on to engineering. It's hard to say if it will solved or get worse.

redfury

i can't see more easier way than new OS installation. And better if it will be Windows 8.1

Looks like your current system has unrecoverable errors.

xuan

UPDATE

Ok, found an old HHD formatted it, removed all my other HHD's and SSD from my system.

1. Restalled a fresh OS Windows 7 64-bit download and installed all Windows upgrades. (This drive only has Window 7 on it nothing else)

2. Download & installed driver 17.3.1

3. Rebooted system and guess what after first Windows splash screen...........Black screen and nothing else.

Next Attempt

Booted back up into Safe Mode with network, download DDU

Run DDU to remove any drivers

Booted back up into normal mode

Installed driver disc that came with card (13.25.18)

Rebooted system, card fan running on full now, and again Black screen.

Multiple Attempt

Rebooted into Safe Mode

Install the following drivers (17.2.1, 16.12.2, 1611.5) in administrator mode

Rebooted system and guess what after first Windows splash screen...........Black screen and nothing else on every attempt.

Conclusion

Not 100% sure, maybe the card is fubared?.

If any AMD staff could shed some light on this that would be great, but it looks like I'm getting 1080ti now, sorry Team Red I hope one day to return.

redfury

To have a clear picture you need to try three more things:

1.Use another monitor connection

2.Install your R9 in second and third PCIe slot

3.Try your R9 on another PC

nneo

This is ReLive drivers problem, don't suggest more useless suggestions.

Many users reported same problem when ReLive came out but AMD didn't do anything.

Black screen after login to Windows 10 after Dec 8th driver update

xuan

UPDATE 2

These are the results on a new OS with all updates.

1. I have used another monitor cennection = still the same black screen after the first windows splash screen
                              2. I have installed my card in every PCIe slot on th MB = still the same black screen after the first windows splash screen
                              3. Have not tried the card in another PC yet.

Still think the latest driver did kill the card now, as I have said, before the driver update the card was work fine no problems at all for many years.

I have just spent sometime reading all the comments on this forums and it seems it a common problem now for any R200 series, shame.

kingfish

Gosh! I guess I'm just lucky then! I have never had any problem with my R9 290.

xuan

I had no problem at all with my R9 290X until the last driver update then everything headed south, just like the rest of the people posting here.

jonh86

kingfish must be the amd equivalent of the 50 cent army, paid per positive amd post he makes.

In my earlier post documenting the experience I am having he popped by to tell me

"The only 'issue' is you. You keep posting all this crap like everybody with a R9 290 has problems with the drivers. I have the same card and have no issues at all. You are nothing but a troll with a screwed up computer. And we can guess how it got that way." - kingfish

viniciuslc

In your case u can see something, like the MB bios and windows loading, on my (280x) the PC dont even start, u may will find a solution.

Try using DVI or VGA connection to see how it works.

aquatic

I have the same problem. I am using Sapphire 390 Nitro with BP. It seems to happen more in multi-monitor.

Try this. There is a risk of damage to the monitor or VGA. With the power turned on, change the port on the graphics card (eg HDMI to DVI). Then reboot and connect the monitor to the original port again.

(I used Google Translate.)

nneo

Black screen after login to Windows 10 after Dec 8th driver update

We reported but AMD didn't care about old R9s

They want us to buy new RX to fill their wallet haha

xuan

After this fiasco, I can safely say I would not touch AMD with a 10 foot barge pole. It's a shame as I like their cards and have been loyal to AMD for many happy years, but this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                          AzureSky

yup, and many people on reddit and various forums agree, our chips are years old, how can we expect amd to keep supporting cards they stopped selling years ago?  even if they are still selling the same chips at the moment under a different name....they still dont need to offer us proper support....if we want that, we should buy an RX480 so amd can afford to support their cards till the next gen comes out....and they can abandon that will full support of posters like kingfish...

ugg..

i can confirm his issues, sadly my cards are out of warranty, and even a clean install of windows shows weird issues....starting to wonder if they somehow messed up the video bios/firmware/nvram i use to idle at 25-30c tops, now 41c in a cool/cold room...nothing changed but those lovely drivers that i only tried because people kept saying they fixed the wattman issues....the didnt....even with ddu...still buggered up....

guess im gonna have to order a 1070 and sell my 290x's to a linux user, where the drivers are, im told, much better then the windows drivers....by a guy whos no linux fan...but owns 3 290x's and 2 390x's ...kinda wish we could have opensource windows drivers...but...that isnt gonna happen.... :/  people might fix the bugs rather then ignore them... :/

jackoboy9

This is infuriating. I've outline the issue here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/771067-black-screen-crash-after-login/

Never had issues with AMD drivers, but this one is seriously major - I can't even use old drivers. How is that possible?

EDIT: I have an R9 390.

EDIT 2: I think my GPU is dead as it doesn't work on Ubuntu or Windows when installing any AMD drivers. Only works on Windows with the Basic Adapter.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                            xuan

Thanks jackoboy9, for the link and sorry to see your are in the same boat as me. I have tried the latest driver 17.4.3 and it did work for about 8 hours then back to the same black screen on loadup. So yep back to “Standard CGA Graphics Adapter” thanks to AMD and their great drivers....!.

Like I mentioned before, AMD drivers have been problematic in the past, but nothing on this scale. How is that possible?. I think AMD don't even know or more likely they don't even care. It's a shame as for me, I supported AMD for many years (well over 10) as they are the underdog and the industry and gamers benefit for competition between card manufacturer, but I' going to think long and hard before I give AMD any more of my hard-earned cash after this fiasco.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                                              sujitubhi05

Hello,

I was facing this issue as well. However, a very simple fix resolved it for me.

I was using DVI port from my 290x to connect it to my monitor.

As soon as I switched to the HDMI port, it no longer gave me that problem.

Try switching the ports. Should probably work!

All the best!