6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 3:16 AM by bikoum

DVI not working on R9 390

bikoum

Hi,

I own a Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series and a Samsung SyncMaster P2770HD monitor.

I have been connecting my monitor on my R9 via HDMI for a few years (and a second monitor via VGA, but I no longer own a second one, I only have the SyncMaster 2770 now).

Recently I purchased a videoprojector, which I want to connect to my PC via HDMI. I have considered several options, such as using an active HDMI repeater since the R9 390 only has one HDMI plug, but there were a few problems.

Long story short, I reached the conclusion that the best solution would be to connect my projector with HDMI and my monitor with DVI. I bought a brand new DVI cable and I can not manage to get it to work. I am experiencing the very same issues as this post: DVI not working with R9 390

With HDMI everything works fine, but with DVI the monitor is detected and is showing the boot logo and the windows loading logo, and then turns black showing a "no signal" message, apparently at the time the graphics drivers are loaded.

I have tried to do a full uninstall of the drivers and a clean install but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Thomas

• Re: DVI not working on R9 390
          redfury

First of all you must be sure that this cable can work in Full HD resolution (not according to specifications but in real experience)

1.Leave only one monitor for this operation

2.Connect your monitor via HDMI cable

3.Delete C:\AMD folder

4.Uninstall all AMD software and restart PC in safe mode

5.Connect your monitor via DVI cable(remove HDMI connection) and clean your system  by DDU program

6.Restart and install 16.11.5 or 17.2.1 driver Try 16.11.5 first!!!

bikoum

Hi,

First thanks for your quick reply!

I tried everything as you listed, except for testing the DVI cable, since I do not have another monitor on hand. However, the fact that it shows the boot logo and the windows logo before turning black (presumably at the time the graphics drivers load) leads me to believe that it is a software problem rather than a hardware problem.

In any case, the problem remains the same and I still have no idea what to do. I tried to get the EDID from the monitor but I have no idea how to decrypt it.

Would that help?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Thomas

redfury

Can you enter low resolution mode? If you can - try to set correct (Native) resolution and refresh rate in that mode.

Show me device manager>monitors tab(it must be opened)

bikoum

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

I have just purchased a new monitor (nothing to do with my problem, however it allowed me to try different things).

It seems the problem really is the DVI. I can make both my monitors work with HDMI separately, but when I connect one with HDMI and one with DVI, the one on DVI turns blank when the graphics drivers load after the windows loading logo.

I tried to enter low resolution mode and change the resolution and refresh rate but no help.

When I boot in safe mode, both monitors work, but only in clone mode.

I then tried to boot normally and what a surprise, again both monitors work but only in clone mode. When I try to extend the display, the one in DVI just turns blank.

I just don't get this. How can it work perfectly in clone mode but fail as soon as I try to extend it? The two monitors would have different resolutions obviously but that shouldn't be a problem with this kind of graphic card.

I'm wondering if this could just be a problem with the DVI cable?

I really have no idea what to try next.

Thanks in advance for the help.

redfury

Of course it can be a cable problem.

But this your phrase ("I bought a brand new DVI cable") made me think that you already tried two different cables.

bikoum

Actually I had not. But there was a DVI cable with the new monitor and it still doesn't work. I managed to make the two monitors work by plugging the second on the integrated graphic card in my motherboard via VGA, but it's pretty bad and I feel like I'm not using to their full potential my graphic card (which SHOULD be able to handle this setup on its own) and my second monitor.

I have run out of ideas.