8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 4:11 PM by warsun

My FX9590 is overheating

psychobouncer2

Compared to what you guys say it is supposed to be at max. I have a Cooler Master Nepton 140 water cooler and it kept my previous FX processor at 40C max. This is reaching max temps of 78C. At complete Idle, it runs at 10-25C. This is amazing. Under load however, it runs WAY TOO HOT and it scares me. I have a Full Cooler Master Storm Trooper case. 16GB1866 Corsair Dominator Ram, GTX 970 (4GB). What can you do about this? I would almost rather get a FX8350 or something. This is ridiculous. I have always been a huge fan of AMD and I have ALWAYS used your processors. My only problem is that this is running almost 20C hotter than it says on the site. Even with a water cooler that I know works well. I am just worried.

• Re: My FX9590 is overheating
          arcticwind

Need more info on your system.  INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

What motherboard and bios version?

What OS are you using?

What processor where you using on this motherboard before you installed the FX-9590?

Where are you getting the temperature readings from?

What power supply are you using?

psychobouncer2

My apologies. Thanks for the help. This is what I am running. Also, My old one was an AMD FX6200 Zambezi 6-Core 3.8GHz. I know this is weak compared, but I am just wondering more about the high temps compared to what they say on the site. I am getting temp readings from the program, "Core Temp".

• NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970 (4Gb)
              • Desktop System
              • Thermaltake Storm Trooper Full Case
              • Windows 10 64bit
              • OS version 14393.693
              • Asus VE248H Black 24" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor
              • GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ (Bios Version FA)
              • AMD FX 9590 Vishera 4.7GHz 8-Core (w/ Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste)
              • Cooler Master Nepton 140XL CPU Cooler
              • Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750M 750W
              • Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
                  arcticwind

First, lets see if your motherboard supports the CPU.

You will need to be on BIOS version F1 or higher.

Did you clear the CMOS on the motherboard when you installed the FX-9590 CPU?

Look on the bottom left corner of the motherboard for the (Revision number).

GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.0, 1.1, and 3.0 do not support the FX-9590 CPU.  Rev. 4.0 does support the FX-9590 CPU.

GA-990FXA-UD3 Ultra (rev. 1.0) does support the FX-9590 CPU.

GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 (rev. 1.0) does support the FX-9590 CPU.

psychobouncer2

It is a rev 3.0. I would only have to worry about my VRM's at that point though, correct? I have not reset the CMOS. It honesty seems to be working well. If i get better airflow through the case and keep it in check, could I potentially just make it work with this MB or should I just send the processor back and get an FX8350? Also, thank you for your help and knowledge. I really appreciate it.

arcticwind

The choice is up to you and what you feel comfortable with.  The best thing to do is to use a processor from the list of approved CPU's like the FX-8350 (125w).

If you chose to use the FX-9590 (220w) processor.  I would suggest that you update the BIOS the latest version, Clear the CMOS on the motherboard, "down clock" the processor in the BIOS so that it pulls less voltage, increase the airflow across the VRM's and keep a close eye on it! 

There is also the option of getting a motherboard that supports the FX-9590 (220w) processor.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              psychobouncer2

Sounds great. Thanks again for your insight. Last question I think. Since it may be trying to run voltages from my old processor, it has been running between .9V and 1.5V. Should I keep it this way and just call it a happy accident or just update and reset? It still seems to record core speeds even up to 5MHz (this seems odd though). I will keep all of this in mind though. 

warsun

I went over this with a guy at best buy an it can be 3 things.Note he wasn't geek squad.The most recent driver 17.2.1 is still corrupted when installing.Uninstall it an delete the folder in C:\Program Files\AMD

With that gone.THEN run the amdcleanuputility that you download from the driver install area.

This should remove the heating issue.It did not stack on top of each other correctly.if you are experiencing other heating issue.It could be Mod configurations.That will jump temps to max when not put in the correct order.

If you are using Programs that may have outside installs I is highly recommended you go to BleepingComputer.com an download Unchecky.Then install mods you wish to install.This will prevent installations of programs that may harm or slow down your performance. ( also recommending AdwCleaner.Really handy.).Other than that. Make sure your vents are open on your computer cause an that they are on A fan may not be working correctly.I know your not stupid so this would sound kind of insulting to your intelligence but it can happen when you think it is working.So you have to check.