13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 1:38 AM by ludo

clinfo on MSI GX70 with A10-5750M and HD 8970M crash

ludo

I have MSI notebook GX70-3BE with  A10-5750M and HD 8970M.

It was designed for windows 8.1.

Before I accepted Microsoft offer to upgrade to Windows 10

on 01/10/2015  18:27 clinfo produced this (shortened)
        Number of platforms: 

Platform Profile:    FULL_PROFILE
        Platform Version:    OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (1800.8)
        Platform Name:    AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
        Platform Vendor:    Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
        Platform Extensions:    cl_khr_icd cl_khr_d3d10_sharing cl_khr_d3d11_sharing cl_khr_dx9_media_sharing cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices

Platform Name:    AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
        Number of devices:    3

( see attached clinfo1.txt)

Then last moment I check aviability to upgrade to Windows 10. MSI stated, windows 10 is supported with drivers from Microsoft and AMD.

I upgraded windows.

First restart - blank screen. I solved problem with emergency console by disabling one graphics card in my system.

I wait long, long time for drivers from AMD.

Today I force install of WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.2.1-Feb22  drivers.
      system information from display are as follows

Name    AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M

Adapter Description    AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M

Driver Version    21.19.519.2

When i run

10/02/2017  15:22      269 192 clinfo.exe

it crash, with the following output

W:\WINDOWS\system32>clinfo

Number of platforms:                             1

Platform Profile:                              FULL_PROFILE

Platform Version:                              OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (2264.11)

Platform Name:                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

Number of devices:                               1

(shortened - see attached clinfo2.txt)

My current system information are
      System informations

--------------------

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version    10.0.14393 Build 14393

OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer    Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.

System Model    GX70 3BE

System Type    x64-based PC

Processor    AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

......(see attached systeminformation.txt)

Dear AMD,

which drivers should I use on my system (now with w10 Pro) to sucessfully run clinfo.exe?

If you cannot support legacy GCN hardware,

Pleas can you make legacy GCN drivers accessible Opensource to enable

somebody to implement OpenCL 2.0 functionality compatible with windows 10?

When I can expect APP SDK will support Visual Studio 2015, and/or Visula Studio 2017 ?

You have TechDocs documents for processors, matherboards,...

Which one apply to my system?

Ludo.

• Re: clinfo on MSI GX70 with A10-5750M and HD 8970M crash
          kingfish

I don't know what you mean by disabling one one the graphics...laptops generally don't work that way.

My suggestion is to return the laptop to a new Win10, fully updated version. No changes.

Then install the correct graphics driver from AMD. It is the only driver you install. > APU  NOT Minimum Install

If you want to stop/delay Windows from automatically installing/changing graphics drivers > Windows 10 Forums

ludo

* By dissabling I mean - start windows in emergency -VGA mode, run Computer Management - Device Manager, look for Display,

There are two in my laptop AMD Radeon HD 8650G and AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M - integrated with processor.

Choose one, Right click, select Disable, and Restart windows and setup will continue.

* Return widows to new Win10? My Windows was upgraded from wiindows 8.1 , I dont look, what it should by, if i try to recovery OS.

* current drivers, I downloaded and try to install are whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.2.1-feb22.exe

Running setup finished with error message Error 174 - AMD Installer cannot continue due to an unsupported AMD graphics hardware configuration.

You can still install drivers manualy, look for .inf in

C:\AMD\WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.2.1-Feb22\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

Right click, choose install. and using device manager choose correct version, for yours display adapter.

* there are some discussion on this forum Re: Really nice of you AMD! (A10-5750M and HD 8970M) , which does not solved my problem.

CLINFO.exe did works under windows 8.1.

I upgrade to window 10 in mid of 2016, and license agreement does not allow my to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8.1 now.

Which version of AMD drivers I should choose to succesfully run CLINFO.EXE on my laptom under windows 10?

It works under windows 8.1, but I don't remember which one.

On "Red button" you compare A10 APU with some Intell APU. There is Intell driver for that APU  from mid 2016.

Pleas, let my know, which AMD driver version I can use on my setup, with Windows 10 (with annyversary update)

to successfully run clinfo.exe again.

Which version of APP SDK should I use?

As you wrote "what you mean by disablling one one the graphics...laptops generally don't work that way."

I can not remove chip with HD 8970M from my laptop, therefore there must by driver for it.

It's how laptop bussines must work !

In past, new windows come with drivers for legacy HW. But now, you reach the top,

and Microsoft has not capability to support OpenCL platform,

therefor YOU are responsible for my drivers

If you realy beleave, my setup is legacy, pleas make existing drivers opensourced on win10 platform,

and publish all TechDocs necessary for next driver development of my legacy HW.

My HWIDs are in attached txt files

ludo

More over walc can say:

"That's not how it works with a laptop--never has and never will.  Laptops are custom creatures and very often the *only* drivers you can use with them are available *only* from the laptop manufacturer--regardless of what company makes the GPU.  Caveat Emptor."

By Microsoft policy every driver MUST by digitaly signed. All drivers I met was digitaly signed with chip producer, or Microsoft, or Oracle.

I do not met yet driver build and signed with system builder. No one can change what is inside chip. All chips in my computer are from only one producer, AMD!

No excuse for any exception. Even drivers are available ONLY from laptop manufacturer, some time they are produced, and signed by chip vendor, in this case AMD.

ludo

Why is procedure different for laptop? Windows are the same.

Ok I try

step 1      APU (Accelerated Processor)

step 2     Mobile APU (Accelerated Processor)

step 3     I have A10-5750M

*   A10-9630P APU - not correct

*   A10-9600P APU - not one

*   A10-8700 APU - same

*   A-Series APU w/Radeon 8000 Series Graphics

*   A-series APU w/Radeon 8000G Series Graphics

The last two seems good for my system. I have HD 8650G and HD8970M Graphics.

Propably it does not mater which one I choose.

With Radeon 8000 Series, by step W10 -64 bit, You offer my Crimson ReLive Edition 17.2.1 from 2/22/2017

With Radeon 8000G Series, you offer me Catalyst Software Suite 15.7.1 from 7/29/2015 or

Crimson edition Beta 16.2.1 from 3/1/2016.

Which one should I use, 8000 or 8000G? Which one will work with Visual studio 2015?

ludo

Or may be it will be easer. Should I upgrade to Visual Studio 2017?

kingfish

Because laptops have switchable graphics....google it. How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics

You can only install one driver..the correct driver, take your pick > Legacy

Laptop graphics update...How to

Screenshot_1.png

ludo

I buy laptop with label

CPU : AMD A10-5750

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8970M / 2 GB GDDR5.

LCD,Memory,HDD,Wireless.

Why such strange combination?  Its not my pick. It is yours decision. All adapters with ending M are only "linked" graphics cards.

They will propably never work without proper support from CPU manufacturer.

It is based on AMD_CAL_Programming_Guide_v2.0.pdf.

If I accept yours suggestion , I also agree my HD 8970M/2GB is legacy product.

I strongly disagree with this statement. But ofcourse my greate HD 8970M/2GB need proper driver from processor manufacturer,

to by part of OpenCL platform.

If I build self PC, I can pick wrong combination of components and I, and only I, am responsible for wrong decision.

But laptop, are more easer. End user can not pick, what is inside. Profesionals build right combination.

And end user can pick only correct combination offered by system builder.

Few days ago, you announce Ryzen proccessors. Mobil version of APU and GPU follow.

Will be APU graphics and mobil graphics from some iteration, or still APU graphics will be one iteration before mobil one?

It is, how yours development works. Pleas accept it. Even you are fast at drawing square on silicon, it is meaningless without

proper software support. ( and drivers support).

You releas CodeXL extension for Visual Studio 2015.

APP SDK - last version - 3.0 does not support win10 yet, by drivers are already legacy.

It have no meanning for me.

Pleas, which version of drivers should I use to succesfuly run clinfo.exe on my system?

Should I upgrade Visula Studio to version 2017, awaiting proper drivers for using OpenCL on Windows 10 on my laptop?

You know, chines wrote OpenCL from scratch, If you can't support yours stones,

pleas make windows drivers opensourced.

May be, somebody else have more luck.