3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2017 2:59 PM by hardcoregames™

Windows 7/8.1/10 Hidden Feature: Problem Steps Recorder

black_zion

When kingfish posted about the "God Mode" in Windows 7 and newer, it made me search for other things which were both useful and relatively unknown, and I came across something called "Problem Steps Recorder", launched by typing "psr" in Run. It's mainly intended for users to be able to easily report problems to tech support or their IT manager, but it can also be used to create step by step guides on how to perform certain tasks. It automatically takes screenshots when you perform actions as well as describe what you did in text between the times you pressed Start Recording and Stop Recording while highlighting the elements you click on, and saves it as a compressed (ZIP) MHTML document. For example, this is what it looks like if you want to tell someone how to open Task Manager and open Resource Monitor, but you can do problems of any length, and even add custom text to each slide:

The pictures are resizable when you click on them in the MHTML file. It's also crystal clear in the MHTML file, I zoomed out so I could fit it in two snips for space.