37 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2017 3:19 PM by darkwolfca

Monolith

ajlueke

Description

This rig was the product of a desire to have a gaming machine that also acted as a repository for all my DVD/Blu-ray movies in the form of MKV rips.  The case I chose was the ABS Canyon 695 which is a relabeled Lian-Li TYR PC-X2000.  I chose this case because of the hot swappable HDD backplane and the three 140mm input fans to cool gaming components.  I have updated the front headers to USB 3.0 and made a few other minor mods over the years  I game primarily with a Xbox One controller from the couch, but have recently added a Razer Turret to the setup that works quite well.  The PC was originally designed with a DDR2, Phenom 940 build, but since 2011 the platform has been an ASUS Sabertooth R1.0 I purchased in 2011 while the FX-8350 was added in 2012..

The whole unit is plugged into my entertainment system consisting of Polk speakers, a Hsu Research sub and a Marantz 5010 receiver.   My main display in an LCD HDTV purchased also in 2009.  While a bit on the older side, I have had no issues with it, and produced great results when calibrated with DisplayCal.

The graphics card has also changed a few times over the years.  Currently, I have been running an R9 Fury X since July 2015 replacing an HD7970.

All TV MKV rips are streamed throughout the house from this location using Kodi as the main playback software

DSC02909.JPG

DSC02910.JPG

DSC02913.JPG

Specifications

CPUFX-8350
      CoolerNoctua NH-U12P
      MotherboardASUS Sabertooth 990FX R1.0
      MemoryG. Skill Sniper 1866MHz DDR3 16GB
      GraphicsR9 Fury X
      Disc Drive 1Samsung 830 SSD 250 GB
      Disc Drive 2Samsung 839 SSD 250 GB (game Installs)
      Disc Drive 315 TB HDD storage for MKVs
      PSUCorsair AX860
      CaseABS Canyon 695
      MonitorSamsung UN55d6000
        • Re: Monolith
          thehunger69

love this rig setup! really nice case! and lots of storage space.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            kxuping

nice HTPC. more pictures of the speakers, AV stuff, couch, etc...

ajlueke

Monolith has been enhanced!

CPURyzen 1800X @ 4.00 GHz
              CoolerNoctua NH-D15
              MotherboardASRock X370 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming
              Memory

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz DDR4 32GB

GraphicsRX Vega 64
              Disc Drive 1Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
              Disc Drive 2Samsung 830 SSD 250 GB
              Disc Drive 315 TB HDD storage for MKVs
              PSUCorsair AX860
              CaseABS Canyon 695
              MonitorAcer XF270HU

DSC03744.JPG

DSC03745.JPG

Love the way this build turned out!  See below for some comparisons with the original version!

ajlueke

I overclocked my Ryzen 1800X CPU to 4.0 GHz, the identical frequency as my FX-8350.  I ran 3DMark and compared the results. 

3D-Mark.PNG

While the GPU score was slightly slower, the physics score jumped by 100% over the FX CPU!

Next I played with the RAM a bit and got the overclock stable at 2,667MHz from the stock 2,133MHz.  I couldn't get the XMP profile to be bootable at all, so I set the voltage, timings etc. manually in the BIOS before repeating the firestrike benchmark.

3D-Mark2.PNG

I gained another 50% in the physics score!  My 3DMark score is now 45% higher without changing the GPU!  Next I compared the benchmark results of the DX12 game Gears of War 4.  The original FX-8350 results are shown below.

Gears of War 4 2_25_2017 8_42_14 AM.png

I chose this benchmark because the CPU render FPS on the FX-8350 caused this benchmark to be CPU bound nearly half the time.  I then repeated the benchmark on the updated Monolith.

Gears of War 4 3_13_2017 7_44_01 PM.png

CPU scores are impressive!  The CPU render is 100% higher!  Really happy with what I am seeing so far.

kxuping

I want something similar for my htpc. Do you hear the fans in your room when in a silent scene of a movie or game?

Congrats for the new PC

ajlueke

Actually no.  It was a big reason I chose this case back in 2009.  There are three 140mm intake fans and one 140mm exhaust.  That, coupled with the two 140mm on my new Noctua NH-D15 provides tremendous airflow at extremely low noise.  I will get a sound level meter and check the actual decibels this evening.  The case is designed to allow for both high end gaming components and quiet operation.  No clear side panel either, so it doesn't throw unnecessary light into a home theater room.  The only fan I can usually hear is the 120mm fan on the R9 Fury X water block when it spins up. 

I did change the arrangement of the fans to maximize airflow in one direction when I rebuilt the PC.  I attached the radiator of the Fury X behind one of the intake fans and had it's own fan drawing the air through on the back of the radiator.  I ran the 3Dmark stress test on my system at 4 GHz for the CPU and 2667 MHz for the memory.  The GPU leveled off at 50C, and only reached that temp at the very end of the run.  The fan never sped up to a higher rpm in this setup while the system stability was fantastic with the CPU and mem overclock.

AMD Radeon R9 Fury X video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 1800X,ASRock X370 Professional Gaming 

These really are excellent CPUs.  The render and transcode performance is on par with the best, while gaming performance does seem to lose a bit of FPS with SMT enabled, but the processor will not be a bottle neck, even at 1080p.

ajlueke

With the fan control on the case set to medium, I get a decibel reading of 35.  That is right up next to the case.  At my sitting position about 10 ft away it drops to 31, likely because of other ambient noise in the house.  So not quite studio level, but still pretty good. 

ajlueke

Latest update with the ASrock Fatal1ty Professional Gaming I now have my system stable with the R7 1800x at 4.1 GHz.  Also have the R9 Fury X stable at 1,216 MHz.  3DMark results can be found below.

AMD Radeon R9 Fury X video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 1800X,ASRock X370 Professional Gaming

ajlueke

I opted to scale back to 4.0 Ghz from 4.1.  4.1 took 1.375V to be stable and pushed the CPU over 70C under load.  4.0 is stable at 1.312 on my chip and never breaks 70C in the stress test.

However, I did manage to post an almost identical 3Dmark score by pushing my RAM to 3200 MHz 

I was only able to get two 8Gb sticks to run at 3200 MHz.  Larger 16GB sticks capped at 2667 for me, as did running with four DIMMs.

ajlueke

Update to the build.  With the UEFI version 2.36, I have been able to run all four DIMMs at the rated speed.  I have added the CPUz information below.

AMD1.png

AMD2.png

AMD3.png

whiskey-foxtrot

Good job on the OC, a good feeling isn't it? Have you noticed the increase in overall speed with the ram at a higher frequency?  I noticed a huge jump (almost 100%!) since a run from a month ago: Result This is consistent between all Dx11 and Dx12 benchmarks. Curious to see you have the seen the same.

ajlueke

It feels great!  I feel that I now have the system in a good spot and can finally get on with enjoying the system rather than tweaking more UEFI settings.  I did notice that ASRock released the final 2.4 UEFI today, but I'm not sure I want to upgrade, since everything is running fantastic on 2.36.

I did see a pretty big jump in speed using the Gears 4 benchmark.  I like that benchmark as it displays CPU and CPU render fps regardless of any GPU bottleneck.

https://community.amd.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/105-14539-121577/RAM+3200+32GB.png

I also created this chart using the benchmark and different RAM speeds using two single rank DIMMs and a final test with all four installed at 3200 MHz.  The difference between 4 and 2 DIMMs at 3200 surprised me.  I think that may have something to do with the latency improvements introduced in the 1.0.04a AGESA (all my test other than the 32 GB were done with a 1.0.0.3 based UEFI)

https://community.amd.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/105-14539-121578/RAM2.PNG

https://community.amd.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/105-14539-121579/RAM.PNG

From where I was sitting (2667 CL14) I have gained about 19% raw CPU performance in this title.

Looking at your Firestrike scores, it seems like the bulk of your gains were in the GPU side?  It almost looks like Crossfire wasn't being correctly implemented in your original benchmarks, but now it certainly is.  You do have a nice 14% gain in your physics score, likely from the 400MHz you were able to add to the 1800X! 

Pretty sweet system, I can only hit about 15000 for a total score with a single Fury X.

ajlueke

Woot!  (Forgive me, but it seems appropriate)

Upgraded to the new AGESA 1.0.0.6 full release for my board.  Made additional gains!  Still learning about all the new settings available, perhaps I can squeeze out a bit more. 

3333 CPUz1.PNG3333 CPUz2.PNG

3333 CPUz3.PNG

Cl14 3333.png

RAM 3333.PNG

Really impressed with the platform updates since launch!  Guess I'm not finished messing around with this after all. 

adr_tech

Awesome Rig bro! Never seen that case before and the whole build looks great

ajlueke

Thanks!

I actually have some further updates to the build.  I have managed to get 3466 MHz stable in a 4X8Gb configuration.  I needed to switch the memory command rate to 2T and set the ProcODT to 48 ohms.  Once those changes were made, I've been able to pass HIC memtest over 450% so far.

RAM test 3.PNG

whiskey-foxtrot

Have you noticed a difference (other than stability) in speeds switching to 2T?

ajlueke

Edit:  I have done a bit of additional testing per whiskey-foxtrot's request.  I have included results for the Gears of War 4 benchmark at 2133MHz (command rate 2T and 1T), as well as 3333 MHz (command rate 2T and 1T).  I also included 3466 at a command rate of 2T.  All other settings were identical, and the benchmark was repeated 3 times at each setting and the average used.  All testing was done with 4x8GB of RAM installed.

Command Rate.PNG

1T command rate does confer an advantage over 2T but it is pretty minor.  At 2133MHz the effect of command rate is more pronounced, gaining 3.5% in CPU Game fps and 2.5% in CPU render.  At 3333MHz those gains drop to 0.2% and 1.3% respectively.   Running 3466MHz at 2T does produce more fps than 3333MHz at 1T (3.2%, 2.1%). 

Based off this,  guess I'll stay at 3466 2T since it is stable for me.

whiskey-foxtrot

Thank you ajlueke,  I love the graphs - and this is also good information for folks with Corsair Dominator Platinum 3466MHz DDR4 32GB. I've seen a few  people still struggle with this, and noticed that most of them are trying to push 1T.

ajlueke

Thanks whiskey-foxtrot.  It is really interesting data actually.  Benchmarks that I run that test the CPU in a vacuum, like the physics test in Firestrike, don't gain from increasing the RAM speed.  However, the Gears 4 benchmark lists the CPU stats as the following:

Average CPU Framerate (game): The average framerate the game thread can achieve. The game thread encompasses all work needed to simulate one frame. The work is spread across multiple cores using a thread pooling system.

Average CPU Framerate (render): The average framerate the render thread can achieve. The render thread encompasses all work needed to translate the simulation data to visual data that the GPU will process. The work is spread across multiple cores using a thread pooling system.

The "Latency" then, is actually the average time the CPU needs to complete one "game" or "render" thread.  As you can see, that goes down as the RAM speed increases.

I gain over 30% fps in both game and render threads just by increasing RAM speed.  There are a couple of different reasons that could happen.  The Ryzen processor may be empting the thread pool as fast as it can be filled from RAM, meaning increases RAM bandwidth will improve performance until the processor's ability to execute threads becomes the bottleneck, at which point fps gains will plateau.  Or it could be related to the infinity fabric speeds which run at RAM speed as well.

For the people who are still struggling, I was able to boot into Windows with 3466 1T, but it wouldn't pass HCI memtest.  I wasn't stable in memtest until I set the command rate to 2T and the ProcODT to 48 ohms.  There is a solid video where AMD's own rhallock discusses these features.  I found it helpful.

We Got Inside AMD’s Texas Home - & Learned How To Overclock RAM on Ryzen - #DragonSquad - YouTube

kxuping

ajlueke whiskey-foxtrot do you know/recommend ram testing tools apart from memtest86+? I think I have a bad kit of Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 ver 5.19.

With one dimm I have a stable system running at 2933 (R7 1700, Gigabyte Aorus GA-X370-Gaming K7 latest F4 BIOS Agesa 10.0.0.6, 2xRX 580). It does not boot at 3200. But the problem is when I use both dimms on dimm slots 1-2 or 3-4 (dual channel recommendation in the manual) I have random BSOD at 2133 and more frequent at 2933. Using CPU-Z Aorus version triggers the BSOD 50% of the time at 2933. I want to be sure what HW is bad to do a RMA and buy a replacement for the weeks I will have to wait. Any other tip is welcome.

ajlueke

Hello,

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly.  The X370 only has 2 memory "channels", A and B.  When using two DIMMs those should be populated in A2/B2 first (slots 2 and 4), followed by 1 and 3 (A1/B1) for a 4 DIMM set up.   If you are putting your DIMMs in 1,2 or 3,4 you are actually loading both DIMMs on the A channel or B channel and putting nothing on the other, which would certainly cause problems.

Now for memory testing, you can also use GSAT for windows 10 (Google stress app).  It is the application Google uses to test memory stability in their servers.   It can be installed via the following method.

• Install Bash Terminal: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/commandline/wsl/install_guide
                                                                • Install the Google Stress App test by typing: sudo apt-get install stressapptest
                                                                • Once installed open “Terminal” and type the following: stressapptest -W -s 3600
                                                                • You can add argument "-M" and add the amount of memory you wish to assign to the test (90% of available memory)
                                                                • This will run the stressapp for one hour. The test will log any errors as it runs.
                                                                2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                                  whiskey-foxtrot

kxuping this is probably not related, but have you seen this post from jaandoh: Ryzen Master Utility Shows wrong clock speed for memory?  Check your memory with the free version of Thaiphoon Burner. Also, update your CPU-Z version (if it's below 1.79.1) as it has caused some issues with SPD data corruption.

Now if you've tested both sticks individually and they check out fine, it may not be the RAM. Have tried flashing back to an older BIOS where you did not have these BSODs? As for memory testing tools, I prefer memtest86 as it's a low level test outside of the OS. It's slow (much slower than the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic tool), but very effective at pinpointing errors and free.

kxuping

I have only tested one dimm individually for 4 days without BSOD (gaming, web,benchmark). I will test it for 7 days and then switch dimm.

Yes I read your post about problems with CPUZ and SPD minutes after you posted. I always download the latest CPU-Z/GPU-Z/MSI Afterburner/HWinfo64.

The last BSOD were so bad that I had to reinstall windows 4 days ago. I always had BSOD even with the first BIOS, but were random and a few days between them.

This is my only DDR4 dimm system, so I cannot swap HW to test what is wrong. I like Memtes86+ for the same reasons you describe too, but you cant use your PC while testing. On previous HW I saw dimm, dimm slots and CPU problems with ram.

ajlueke

Since I purchased a new totally passive case for the living room, I have been converting the ABS Canyon 695 over into an office build.  The first step in doing that was selecting a monitor.  I picked up the Acer XF270HU, a 2560x1440 monitor with a freesync range of 40-144 Hz.

I thought it would be interesting to see how this display performed against my LCD television that had been serving as my monitor.

First, the television.  This Samsung model UN55D6000 was I believe from 2009 and was one of the earlier models to feature an LED backlight behind the LCD screen. I used DisplayCal to calibrate the screen, an then ran the extended test chart to test for color accuracy.  Let's see how we did.

The color accuracy for an 8+ year old LCD is pretty good!  An average delta E of less than 1 is recommended and the Samsung scores 0.64, the whitepoint also falls within recommended specs!  The maximum delta E however, is only within the nominal range of <4.  I had a 3.73 down in the blue/green range and a few other values above 2.

Alright then, let's see how this fancy pants Freesync IPS display holds up once calibrated.

The average difference between expected and measured color values drops by 45% on the Acer.  The whitepoint balance improves by 33%.  The maximum difference in measured and nominal values for a color is once again in the blue range, but only a 1.13, a whopping 70% improvement over my aging TV.

So not only does a modern monitor add cool features like freesync and high resolution, it also supports significantly improved color accuracy over my older display.

ajlueke

Rig has been updated with an RX Vega 64.  Currently I am just using the reference cooler, but I am still seeing a 30% gain in Time Spy over my R9 Fury X Score.

darkwolfca

crazy setup. love it, nice and clean look