3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 5:11 AM by voikka

Is my gpu broken or is there something else that's wrong?

voikka

Hi.

I'm not sure whether this post should be in here or in the graphics section, but here we go.

I have a XMG p502 (clevo p150em) gaming laptop with intel i7-3630qm processor, amd radeon HD 7970m gpu, crucial m500 128 gb msata ssd and HGST 1 tb hdd. Some time ago i tried to launch Witcer 3 on lowest settings. I got to main menu and managed to change all the settings to low and shortly after that my screen suddenly went black (not during graphic setups switch, but still in main menu). After that when i tried to start my computer it froze during windows 7 startup at windows logo and next time i ran windows startup repair as suggested by windows. After that windows did start but device management didn't recognize my 7970m and it said something along the lines of "device cannot start (code 10)". Since then i have tried both old drivers that came with the laptop and latest ones provided by the manufacturer in windows 7 clean installed to my 128 gb msata ssd and 1tb hdd and none of the possible combinations of those has worked. It seemed that it didn't matter on which disk (ssd or hdd) windows was installed (and ofcourse the drivers). With the latest drivers windows again will freeze during start up and if i happen to get through that windows doesn't recognize the gpu nor will it be active. With the older drivers windows starts fine and device manager does recognize the gpu and sais there's nothing wrong with it, but if i try to open catalyst control center i almost immediately get a notice saying "catalyst control center: host application has stopped working" and it seems the 7970m isn't used when gaming. The computer runs fine with only drivers for integrated intel graphics 4000 and without amd drivers aside from not being able to play any kind of demanding game with proper framerates.

Is it possible my gpu is broken or is there something else wrong with my computer? Also would buying a new 7970m fix everything?

Thank you for the information in advance and sorry for my inferior linguistical abilities.

• Re: Is my gpu broken or is there something else that's wrong?
          kingfish

If Win7 (orWin8.1) is not fully updated you are going to have issues installing/using AMD mobility graphics. Go to Windows Update and run it...do not stop installing 'critical' and 'optional' updates until you are told...."There are no more updates available". Then follow the guide for installing Intel/AMD graphics.

Laptop graphics update...How to

The other question I have is all these harddrives you have. More problems have been caused by users customizing where programs are installed. To make it simple, leave the default download/install locations alone. The OS and the graphics drivers should be on the same hard drive.

voikka

Thank you for the quick answer. Unfortunately i have already tried what you're suggesting. Letting windows 7 fully update (even restarting and checking for updates a couple of times) and then installing the drivers doesn't help as after installing them my computer freezes at startup on windows logo as i wrote on my post. Whether i use latest drivers from the manufacturer or the latest drivers from AMD hasn't made a difference so far.

About my hard drives. It's not like i have many; i have only 2. First is 128 gb msata ssd on which i primarily install operating system and all basic programs that i want to start fast. The second one is 1 tb normal hdd on which i store my pictures, music, videos and games. The only reason i mentioned both of my drives is to show that there shouldn't be anything wrong with them regarding driver and/or gpu functionality. Might have been unnecessary but i wanted to try everything i could think of.

voikka

I did get a new GPU and it seems to have fixed all the problems completely