9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2017 3:46 AM by jdub

Quake Live crashes on map change with RX 480

jdub

Hello everyone, my machine config is in my bio.

Since getting my RX 480 back in November the steam game Quake Live has been crashing every few map changes, sometimes after first starting the game and loading the first map.

The problems *seems* to be getting worse with more recent drivers. I've tried:

16.10.1-Oct6

16.12.2-dec19

16.12.2-jan3

17.1.2-jan25

Without luck. I'm going to try installing 17.2.1-feb22 but I doubt it will change anything. I'm wondering if it could be a config thing... maybe theres some setting in the drivers like anti-aliasing that should be changed or disabled? I'm happy to provide any crash reports requested to try and track this down. Just let me know where to find it. The only driver settings I've changed or played with were making sure 144hz and Freesync were enabled.

• Re: Quake Live crashes on map change with RX 480
          redfury

Probably you need to try to disable FreeSync and set your refresh rate to 120HZ or 60Hz

Also you can try to clean install one of old drivers:

1.Update BIOS

2.Update chipset and ME drivers

3.Your win8.1 must have all available updates.

4.Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 16.11.5

jdub

I've set my refresh to 120hz - still crashes. If anything it crashes more often now.  Disabling Freesync has not helped.

I already have updated my motherboards BIOS - its at the latest revision.

My chipset drivers and Intel IME drivers are up to date, I usually grab those from Intel directly since mobo companies rarely update their sites dl page more than once or twice.

Windows is up to date.

I'll try the uninstall, though i HAVE already done the same thing, just not going back that far in driver releases. Any particular reason to recommend trying 16.11.5?

kingfish

All you are going to get are people giving you a copy and paste answer to a question that requires specific information. That's too bad. If you cant take the time to furnish INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION  then good luck to you.

jdub

My system info as requested:

-----------------------

AMD ATI Radeon RX 480 4GB

Windows 8.1 64-bit - all updates installed

WHQL-Win8.1-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.2.1-Feb22

Asus Z170 PRO GAMING

DELL U2415 - miniDisplayPort to display port 1920x1200 60hz

Nixeus NX-VUE24 (1920x1080@120Hz)

Intel Core I5 6600K - no overclocking

Seasonic SS-660XP2 660W

16GB DDR4 1071MHz (15-15-15-35)

---------------------------------

I have closed a few programs hoping their overlays/video aspects were interfering but the crashes still occur (firefox, razer synapse, winamp, hd sentinel) - note I never had a problem with these programs with my previous video card. That previous video card was NEVER installed on this windows installation.

Here is a video of the crash occurring after playing just one map in Quake Live: Twitch