37 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2017 12:56 PM by grumpyoldfart

Rx 480 crash.

francy1601

My xfx gtr rx 480 8gb crashes under stress. The clock is standart and the temperatures are 65-70°. My PSU is a cooler master G700 (80 plus bronze). Many people have the same problem with custom other brand like : msi, asus, gigabyte.  (sorry for my english)

I link some videos that showing  my problem:     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2Vh9psWKI   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaxJHaR0Gn

• Re: Rx 480 crash.
          redfury

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION  Provide your full system info!

Run HWinfo64>sensors only>Logging start and play for 5-10 min. I want to see that log

sens log.JPG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              paradox88

i'm having the same issue as described above BUT i'm at work now and can't provide the logs (i'll post the logs in a few hours)

to clarify my rig crashes only in games and it seems to correlate to dips in gpu activity (just a pattern i noticed that might have nothing to do with it).

when stress testing  i left furmark running for a few hours with no overheating and no crashes (gpu activity 100% through out the stress test) but one quick bootup of witcher 3 killed it in minutes.

the Internet has come up with a workaround that worked for me like a charm (somewhat).

power limit set to +50%

custom fan curve to avoid going to 0 RPM - mine is locked at 2000 rpm (g1 gaming card)

the above results in less frequent crashes (once every few hours) as opposed to every 5 minutes  of game play in witcher 3 and every match in heroes of the storm with stock wattman settings.

this was last nights tweak:

for my setup setting gpu frequency to +10% bumped up the stability even more (no crashes last night)

even tho the workaround seems to do the trick it's a workaround and not a proper fix.

Gear:

cpu: AMD fx-8120

mobo: GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1

gold rated 750W PSU from corsair (3 yo) (will come back with exact model number)

gpu: gigabyte g1 gaming rx 480 8gb

insane cooling and airflow throughout the case:

2x200mm fans providing airflow (1 intake + 1 exhaust) + 1x140mm exhaust fan drawing hot air from the d14

noctua D14 on the cpu

case ambiant temerature 45C while stress testing with hyperPI and furmark (the cpu has never seen 65C temperatures in it's life)

notes:

windows event logger is just useless registering a kernel-power outage event (so the restart of the system) and nothing else.

temps are way lower than my previous card (HD 6950) even with uber-stress

bios of both mobo and g-card are latest and at default settings (bios reset was done prior to installing the new card)

memtest on the ram was clean

psu is underloaded (it might be able to handle 2 more rx 480)

cpu is cool and at stock frequencies

drive versions used where 16.12.2 and 17.2.1 with clean install/uninstall under safe-mode windows and normal operations with no stability improvement

TL,DR:

-system crashes in games constantly with default wattman settings

-overclocking dramatically increases stability

-hwinfo64 logs coming in 8 hours

redfury

You can try to downclock your GPU and VRAM (-10%) . It will give us more info about your situation.

goodplay

Have a look in windows reliability monitor/history, you may find more detailed info/other related error.

paradox88

so i reverted the setting in wattman to default (these settings result in crashes usually) started HWinfo and no crashing in witcher 3 for 5 hours straight or other titles.

no sw or hw changes from the last pos tand  did not downcloak since anything short of overclocking used to result in instant crashing when games finished loading. this is realy strange, it's like the card stabilized after some burn in (witch makes no sense).

windows logging is just bad in my case only noticing that i pulled the plug on the system and nothing more (consumer windows logging is and 4ever will be a realy bad joke) as in the critical error was me restarting a frozen machine but looking at the logs nothing bad happened up to the point i manually restarted the machine (windows did not notice that it's dead and prints the kernel power critical error postmortem)

current driver version 16.2.12

so the tl;dr:

everything works even with wattman defaults.

i'm happy it works but confused as to how it was fixed (system is the same as when it was crashing with + installation of HWmon)

francy1601

hello, I tried to lower the voltage and increase the fan speed. Through this it lower temperatures (5-7 °) and the rx 480 crashes only sometimes. I believe the crash is related to the temperature but it isn't vey hight (75° max). How can I send you the log?? (sorry for my english and thank for help) .

custom:custom settings.png

defaultdef.png

francy1601
                        • AMD Graphics Card
                          • xfx rx 480 gtr 8gb
                        • Desktop or Laptop System
                          • Desktop
                        • Operating System
                          • Windows 10 64bit
                        • 1Driver version installed
                          • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 1

• Motherboard
                          • Msi b150m bazooka

• CPU/APU
                          • i3 6100
                        • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
                          • cooler master G700w
                        • RAM
                          • 4x2gb ddr4 2144mhz
                          grumpyoldfart

I have the same issues as others, I have tried multiple fix's with my RX 480. Only play World of Tanks, crash happens regularly.. Sometimes I can get a game in, other times crash's instantly. Most times I still have sound and can communicate in TS with my friends. Have to restart the PC in order to get the desktop back.

I appreciate any assistance you might be able to provide.

windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Direct X 12

Asus VG278HV 144hz monitor

AMD FX -6300 Six Core Processor 3.5GHz

8.0 GB Ram Kingston Hyper X Fury 1600MHz DDR3

MSI 970 GAMING DDR3 2133 ATX AMD Motherboard

Corsair Professional Series  HX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX750) PSU

Corsair H55 liquid cool

Clean install of drivers, removed old drivers with DDU uninstaller. Current AMD Driver 17.6.2