13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2017 2:19 AM by tommy2k14

Advice Please

tommy2k14

I am in the market for a new desktop computer, and have seen the HP EliteDesk 705 G3 with an A12 processor? What do you think of these?

I am a self-employed computer engineer that will use the new computer to create and use Virtual PC's, write documentation, use multiple tabs in Firefox etc, test software and hardware, amonst other things.  Or should I go for an A8 or A10?

• Re: Advice Please
          arcticwind

Have you considered building your own system?

It will free you from any of the restrictions of a prebuilt system that uses OEM parts and software.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            tommy2k14

Ok, shall I plump for an a10?

tommy2k14

Thankyou.

I got told that A12s only come in laptops - surely that can't be right?

Hello tommy2k14,

From your description, I find that you want to create and use Virtual PC, or in other words, you want to host many system under a desktop computer. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=10669600#!tab=specs , from where one could retrieve the information about your expecting computer. From http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A12-Series%20PRO%20A12-9800E.html , one could also retrieve the information around AMD Pro A12-9800E processor, clocking at 3.1GHz, turbo boosting to 3.8GHz, two modules, 4 integer cores, 2 float pointing cores, with TDP up to 35W. The very best thing for this processor is its integrated GPU performance and 35W TDP. But I would not believe its performance would be expected for virtual machines, especially for its underlying core arrangement.

If you want to customise a computer exclusively for host virtual machines, I would not suggest you to choose the AMD processor based computers right now before Ryzen is about releasing very closely. Ryzen is the best and perfect one for its performance for such applications. If you could not wait for it, I would suggest you to choose Intel processor based computer instead, that would be very best to consolidate your expectations. Intel processors would host macOS under virtual machines no matter whether you are using the Macintosh or not. If you stick to this model desktop, choosing the A12 would obtain the best performance for this model computer.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

tommy2k14

What about buying an A12 processor and motherboard seperately?

tommy2k14

In my email this morning I got this link

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-s-am4-8-core-16-thread-34ghz-38ghz-turbo-16mb-cache-95w-cpu-retail?utm…

Is it advisable to buy the motherboard and the processor on its own or would it be more cost effective to get it already built:

Buy HP EliteDesk 705 G3 3.8GHz A12-9800 SFF Black - Y4U16EA#ABD Online From SmartTeck.co.uk

Buying some components to build up a computer is quite different from buying an OEM computer. For the latter, what is bought is a whole system and support services rather than only several components but not a whole system. That is the reason why some people love to buy OEM computers, such as them from Acer, Dell, HP and so forth. Of course, Apple is the most idealised OEM computer, because no matter for the OS and the hardware are designed exclusively by Apple. Apple presents themselves as the whole system, touchable and un-clon-able! But for the professional users, they designed their own applications, so they might find hard to find a proper OEM product, so they love to customise their computers from those components.

As is known to us, Windows is the de-facto OS for the PC compatible computers. What configuration is the best? That might be not the problem, but the real things purchasers are really caring about are how many expectations put to it, and how the supports and services they are really in need. Buying components to build a computer could not obtain support and services from the level of the whole system, only obtained the support of individual component. Such like if the processor is wrong, they would contact with the processor vendor, rather than the system vendor which in further could examine the whole system to find out other potential problems which are lying on other components, software and/or hardware.  Another thing purchasers are really cared about is the price! Buying components to build up a computer might not always be cheaper than getting an equivalent OEM PC, because the components vendors want to earn money from them, they would rise the prices for each components you need. For the OEM vendor, they might also consider put the cost of support and services to the final price too, but they could obtain components from a very different channel with very different prices, so which is good depending on what you want? Do you want to buy a whole and practical system with supports and services, or you are self-confident enough you are content to solve all the problems by yourself or ask help from others?

All above words are just my own opinion, you are the one who make the smart choice.

moonstar

The problem with an A12 is low cache and power compared to even some of the older FX CPUs.  It is great for day-to-day home use, but not so much for business. If you going to work in a Virtual PC environment, my suggestion would be to look for something along the line of a Dell Precision or even a PowerEdge server.  That, of course, is depending on how many Virtual PCs you want to run and what you will be doing with them all.  Desktop PCs can support Virtual Systems using software like VMWare, however, you need a system with a powerful CPU and a lot of RAM, not to mention the ability to set multiple drives into a RAID configuration to help prevent data loss.

tommy2k14

Thankyou for that advice.  I think that my motherboard struggles sometimes with the multiple Virtual PC's I run.  However, I think, as I only run a Home Office, a server is far too much.  The new Ryzen processors sounds great - is there a rough timescale of when they will be built into PC's?

siro7

i^m not amused...

on this page, fuckbook, wiki and co. threats me to resize my Browser

But my main probleblem is !

this fu** ng Phenom is so noisy that i can´t play at home

sry