7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2017 5:21 AM by vikingcrusher

black screen issue on rx 460

vikingcrusher

I have recently bought RX 460 to play small E-sport games like LoL, rocket league and others but when I ever I play them I get random black screen that goes about 3 seconds and the sound doesn't stop but the thing is I don't get the black screen on any game I play on and then I started testing some games I had to see if I'll get the black screen here's the list of games that I've tested

Alan Wake

Ori and the blind forest

oblivion

the Talos principle

Valley benchmark 1.0

League of legends

Rocket League

dark souls 1

all of these games gave me black screen except Alan wake, the Talos principle, Valley benchmark

I've reinstalled the drivers many many times but the problem still exists, tried to reinstall Directx but nothing happened I don't know what causing the black screens but I hate it

• Re: black screen issue on rx 460
          redfury

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION  Provide your full system info!

1.Delete C:\AMD folder

2.Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 16.11.5 or 17.2.1 driver

3.Show me GPU-Z main screen

4.Run HWinfo64>sensors only>Logging start and play for 15-20 min. I want to see that log

sens log.JPG

vikingcrusher

sorry for not posting my PC specs earlier

GPU: Sapphire RX 460 2GB GDDR5 single fan

Drivers: Crimson 16.11.5

Monitor: LG 22MP58 1920x1080 60Hz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT

CPU: Intel Pentium E5700

PSU: Dell L300PM-00  300W

RAM: two sticks of DDR3, 8GB in total

now we are done with that I've followed your instructions step by step

here is the GPUz screenshot gpuz.gif

I ran HWiNFO64 before start playing league (just before the loading screen) I got few black screens while playing and after 6 mins in game, the game crashed and then the screen went black for good and the GPU fan went 100% speed (did ALT+F4 no good and Ctrl+Alt+Del still no response) after that i unplugged the machine from the wall and restart the system and everything is okay for now I don't know if the Program logged everything but here's the log

hfff.CSV - Google Drive

I'm starting to think it's my PSU but the card nearly pulls that much wattage

redfury

1.Your HDD reports about serious problems

2. PSU has strong spikes.It really may be cause of problems

3. You may have compatibility issues with your very old motherboard. I need to know revision of your GA-G41MT-S2PT(see picture below)

Rev.JPG

vikingcrusher

are you saying one of my hard drives are going to fail and if so can you tell if it's WD blue one or Seagate one

I'll be sure to replace my PSU as soon as I can anyway it's getting old

I've just checked it's Rev: 1.1 is there anything about my motherboard

thank you for keeping up with me

redfury

1.According to GPU-Z you have compatibility issues with your motherboard or something wrong is with your PCIe slot or GPU PCIe interface.

Your GPU and motherboard must report 16x PCIe speed but in your case it is only 8x

You can try to clean PCIe slot from dust and reinstall your GPU in it more tightly.

2.You can open HWinfo64 main screen (summary only) and check which HDD is marked by exclamation mark (see picture below)

HDD.JPG

kingfish

That card has a recommend power supply of 350 watts. That's a 350watt quality power supply.