6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2017 4:35 PM by pabl0w

RX480 Hardware Acceleration Problem

pabl0w

Ever since the Driver update in january 2017 I have not been able to record or stream gameplay anymore.

All I get is a green or gray video output with a lot of distortion. Sound is working fine though.

I have uploaded an example to YouTube: AMD RX480 8GB Recording Bug - YouTube.

When I switch to HEVC instead of AVC it does record and show output, but then there's no sound and I can't seem to edit or upload HEVC anywhere yet.

Missing a much needed feature right now.

My computer specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 @ 3.30GHz

RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB @ 1600Mhz

MOBO: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate

GPU: MSI Radeon RX480 Gaming X 8Gb

Monitor: Philips PHL 274E5

• Re: RX480 Hardware Acceleration Problem
          redfury

Try to reinstall the latest driver:

1.Delete C:\AMD folder

2.Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 17.2.1 driver Windows 10 (64-bit)

pabl0w

Hi Redfury!

Thanks for your response, but I have already did a complete reinstall of my OS, then I removed the Windows installed Driver with the Clean Uninstall tool from AMD and rebooted, followed by installing the latest driver (17.2.1). And the problem is still here. What is wierd is that only the AVC mode seems to be broken. I can record with Fraps or OBS using x264 just fine. Also HEVC works wonders but with no sound. I wonder if my card might be broken maybe. I never did OC or use WattMan though.

redfury

You can try 16.12.2 driver. If you will still have this problem,then probably your GPU is faulty in some ways.

pabl0w

Hello! Today I did another full clean install of my OS and this time using 16.12.2 driver and also one time with the 16.9 driver that came with the card. As of now I am able to record WITH sound using the H.265 (HEVC) codec but the H.264 (AVC) is still not working as intended.

I found a temp. work around by converting the files from H.265 to H.264 using a program called RockyMountain Converter.

An example video can be found here: AMD Relive H.265 video converted to H.264 - YouTube

I am now convinced that my card is not broken, but there is a bug in the driver or BIOS of my GPU that prevents me from using H.264.

Seeing that the card has worked almost 7 weeks before without a problem and the minute I updated my driver it started to bug out.

pabl0w

We are now 2 months away from my first post and multiple driver updates.

The problem is still current. AVC recording is still corrupt and HEVC still works.

Is this a problem with the driver, or is my card faulty?

I don't get it to be honest. It worked up untill the first driver update in January.

Missing out on a feature I used to use A LOT!