Desktop or Laptop: Desktop

Operating System: Windows 10

Driver version installed: 17.2.1

Display Devices: Techwood 32 inch MPEG4 IDTV, 1920 X 1080 @ 60Hz HDMI

Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45 Intel B85

CPU: Intel Core i3 4170

Power Supply Unit:  530W be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM Modular 80+ Bronze

RAM: 8GB

Hi, I recently upgraded to the RX 470 (January this year) from a GTX 750 ti. I'm definitely running games much better but I am receiving a problem that was non-existent on the 750 ti.

In almost every game I play, the textures (more commonly, the ground textures) shimmer like crazy whenever the camera is moved. It's extremely irritating and a huge eyesore to look at. I know am not the only one with this issue as a quick search on google will lead you to other users preaching same issue.

If anyone is curious to what it looks like, take a look at this video (Not mine). Pay specific attention to the ground textures.

Or at this post from the War Thunder forums which showcases it really well.

It occurs in every game I play. From War Thunder (Most extreme case I've seen so far) to Smite (Which I could run flawlessly on the 750 ti) and even The Witcher 1 (And The Witcher 3 just to add). Even outside of gaming, simply scrolling through text on a web browser, in a notepad, word document etc., the text will shimmer like crazy also. Not as irritating as I read my text still, but regardless, annoying.

I have played around with the Radeon Settings endlessly (forcing AA) but to no avail. I've been back and forth to most of the recent drivers and still nothing. I've tried switching my screen also but again no change, leading me to think this is not an error on my side, especially considering I was not experiencing this last month with the 750 ti.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, or even acknowledgement from AMD that they are aware of the issue as it has seemingly been existent for just short of a year now, possibly longer.

• Re: RX 470 Shimmering textures
          redfury

I am not sure that your problem is the same as on that video.From your words it is looks like video output or cable issue.

Try to use 1600x900 and 1280x720 for experiment.And it would be nice if you could try another HQ HDMI cable.

For games you can try to force Anisotropic filtering and change some settings in Radeon settings>Gaming>Global

Also you can try to reinstall driver:

Uninstall all AMD and NVidia software and clean your system in safe mode from both AMD and NVidia driver remains by DDU program and instal 17.2.1 driver

Windows 10 (64-bit)

shimmer.JPG

millgate1

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated however I have tried them before and just now again to be sure but still, nothing.

Apologies if I have worded it badly but what is seen in the linked video is exactly what I am experiencing. The linked forum post better showcases the issue.

Here's a better video.

redfury

It looks like texture filtering issue(or LOD)

I saw this issue recently in this community, but i cannot remember was it resolved or not.

If you have this issue in all games and even in 2D applications(browsers,video) it is obviously a hardware fault.

You need to check your GPU on another PC or RMA it without delay.

Also you can try to reinstall drivers:

1.Update BIOS

2.Update chipset and ME drivers

3.Check that Intel GPU doesn't exist in device manager

4.Delete C:\AMD folder

5.Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 16.11.5 or 17.2.1 driver

xeleron

Updating motherboard bioses can be very dangerous,why do you recommend that for a gpu issue?

millgate1

Thanks again but no budge. My BIOS is as latest as it can be, as is my chipset. The Intel iGPU is non-existent in the device manager. I've deleted the C:\AMD folder, uninstalled AMD software and cleaned my system via the DDU program and then proceeded to install numerous drivers (From 16.8.1 onward).

redfury

Then probably your GPU is faulty. Try to test it on another PC or RMA it without any further delays.

It is not a well known driver problem and looks like hardware issue.

xeleron

How can it be a faulty GPU if there are much more people experiencing the same issue?Have you checked the links the OP posted:?

millgate1

I was thinking the same thing as Xeleron. This problem isn't exclusive to me, and some people are saying they've managed to fixed it by rolling back drivers, but alas it is not a solution for everyone. So possibly it's a driver problem?

Or a large batch of faulty RX 400 series cards .

It could possibly be another piece of hardware within my system, but I just find it odd how one day everything is sound and working great (with the GTX 750ti) and the next day, this issue is introduced with the RX 470

EDIT: Read your response to Xeleron, you're possibly right Granted, the War Thunder example is a very extreme case, and is not nearly as bad in other games but it is there. I'll try to capture it with my own video and I'll try to find another computer to test it on and get back to you. Thanks!

redfury

My point is - you may have problems with one or five driver versions but not with all.

About War Thunder-it can be a game engine issue.I saw messages from NVidia users with the same problem.Just ignore this game for now.

Install Fallout 4, Tomb Raider or Deus EX or 3DMark+Heaven 4. If your GPU is OK you cannot have problems everywhere.

xeleron

Hi,the problem seems to have appeared recently,So I suspect the latest video drivers.Could you try going back a few driver revisions? There is no point to forcing AA,you need AF for that.