25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2017 6:51 PM by darylm

BIOS Boot Loop

darylm

I have a GA-F2A88XM-D3HP (1.0) motherboard with A8-7600 APU. It has two sticks of OCZ3P1333LV4GK and two sticks of OCZ3G1333LV4GK. The system worked fine for around 6 months, then started having problems getting stuck in a bios boot loop, displaying the message GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOS, then black screen, repeat. The problem started out as an intermittent, then became solid. I tried resetting the bios and also replacing the CMOS battery, but it made no difference so I RMAed the motherboard. They didn't find anything so reflashed the bios and sent it back. I reassembled the system and it did the same thing. The problem is not the hard drive. It happens even with no hard drive connected or with a bootable USB. I found that by removing all of the memory sticks but one it will boot. It makes no difference which stick I put in or which slot I put it in, if there is more than one stick, it will not boot. Currently, the system is running (barely) with one stick. I tried running some diagnostics using UBCD but there were no problems. Gigabyte is saying the problem could be caused by the processor. Is that possible? I find it hard to believe because it runs normally with one stick, although it's extremely slow. Could the APU cause this problem?

• Re: BIOS Boot Loop
          redfury

Yes it can by a faulty CPU memory controller (Check CPU pins closely-any bent pins?)

Try to install two RAM modules in slots 1+3 or 2+4 (first two slots or last two slots)

RAM.JPG

darylm

Thank you for the reply.

The system was operating for 6 months before this problem started. I did not notice any bent pins when I reassembled it after receiving the motherboard back from Gigabyte. I don't the issue is being caused by a bent pin. It would not have worked before if I bent a pin when I originally assembled it.

I tried all of the memory modules and I tried different slots. I was not able to get beyond the bios boot loop with more than one module installed. Originally, I had the two faster modules together in the same channel and two two slower modules in the same channel.

While testing, I did have one occurrence of the bios boot loop with only one module installed, but it never happened again. Earlier on, I checked the power supply voltages unloaded and also loaded. They seem okay, measuring with a digital volt meter on the top of the connector. However, using HW monitor, they are not okay. I think HW monitor must be not working properly on this system. Unfortunately, I have no other power supply to swap out.

I submitted a technical support request to AMD asking about this.

darylm

I tested the memory on another system and there were no errors.

Hello darylm,

I've read all the above words both of you discussed on this matter around this situation. Yeah, that is not a strange thing, and very often, if the processor is worn out, especially for it exposed its own faulty, or without installing the proper cooler and working for a long term. I suggest you, please stop wasting your energy and time, just replace that processor if possible...

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

darylm

The processor is 6 months old and was installed with the factory cooler using heatsink compound. Not likely that it's "worn out".

When facing with problems, everything could be likely wrong.. From all of your descriptions, there must be something wrong with your system, or else it would work alright. So I recommend you change the processor with other chip or other model, if possible. Or using your processor on other motherboard and try to find would the things would act like the same. If something wrong with your processor internally, there is no way to fix it. And for some faulty processors, even though they could work, but the potential failure would be permanent some a day. 6 months could not say it is long or short for a worn out processor.

darylm

Gigabyte sent me another board and this one does not have the bios boot loop problem. However, I'm having problems with the memory. It will only recognize ram in slots 1/2 but not 3/4. It makes no difference which pair of memory modules I use. This is pretty strange, considering the manual says 2 modules can be put into either 1/2 or 3/4. If I put in all four modules, it only recognizes the modules in 1/2.

I've been told that OCZ ram is poor quality. Unfortunately it's all I have at the moment.

These modules are supposed to be DDR3-1333 7-7-7-20 @ 1.65v. The JEDEC says otherwise.

OCXP.PNG

These modules are supposed to be DDR3-1333 9-9-9-20 @ 1.65v. The JEDEC (#4) seems okay for these modules.

OCXG.PNG

Any idea why the bios will not recognize memory modules in slots 3/4?

redfury

1.Have you tried any pair of RAM in slots 3/4 only?

2.I suppose these modules(on your first picture) have no XMP support and 1333MHz frequency must be set manually.Default frequency for these modules is 1066MHz@1.5V. And voltage must be at least 1.65 in this case.Default frequency for another pair is 1333MHz@1.5V. I think you may have compatibility issues because of different default SPD frequencies of your pairs of RAM

3.I suggest you install all RAM and set RAM frequency in BIOS to 1066@1.6V and leave other options to auto.

4.If all RAM will be recognized you can try to set 1333MHz+1.7 RAM voltage leaving all other options to auto

5.In addition to info above. Let's name your fast RAM as "F" and slow RAM as "S"   You must install your RAM in this order FSFS (see picture below) or you can try another order - SFSF

dariym.JPG

darylm

No matter which modules I put into slots 3/4 it's not recognized, either individual or pair. If I put any modules into slots 1/2, individual or pair, they are recognized. I took the system to the service department where I purchased the components. They had another computer in for repair which had 4x4gb of kingston hyperx memory modules. We reset the cmos, put all four modules into my system and powered it on. Only 8gb was recognized. They put my ram into the other system and it was all recognized. It's hard to believe, but I think Gigabyte f*cked up again and sent me a defective motherboard.

The memory controller is integrated into processor, the mobo just extends that logic other physically. It seems that the problem still lies on the processor, rather than the mobo. Faulty processor could work but not work on every mobo, even though it could work, it could never work fully functioned. I would suggest you acquire to replace your processor for another try.

darylm

The more I look at this, the stranger it gets. Despite the bios only seeing 4 GB of ram, I left all four modules installed and booted. Windows is seeing all of the memory. Not sure how this is possible. I did a search and it seems I'm not the only one this has happened to with this motherboard and with various different brands and sizes of RAM. So does that make it a bios problem?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  redfury

Try to reflash BIOS

If all of your RAM is available under Windows environment ,i think it is quite enough in your weird situation.

Also you can try add +5-10% to NB core and select maximum value for NBVID Loadline Calibration

You really need to try another CPU if you will have such opportunity.

daryim.JPG

It seems that everything goes well except for the information reported by the firmware, maybe that is a casual problem. Congratulations! But I just wish your system everything goes well and good luck to you. I am glad to hear your further feedback!

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

darylm

Guys, I want to thank you both for your help and suggestions. It's much appreciated. I found another thread on the gigabyte forum about this problem with the same motherboard, but there is no further response that a solution was found. I will phone gigabyte again tomorrow and ask them.

@redfury, I looked at the bios settings. It's possible to increase the NB voltage in steps up to 0.300v. Not sure what the default is. For the NBVID, the settings are auto, extreme, medium, low and standard. What are your recommendations? I'm already running the DRAM at 1.65v, since that's what is on the label.

The current settings are below. Note it only shows two DIMMs. You can see the changes I made because they are not auto. Any suggestions?

The P sticks are in slots 1/2 and the G sticks are in slots 3/4.  This is what the manual says, but since it's possible to vary settings for channel A and B, should the sticks be grouped by channel instead? I have no idea what most of the settings are for or whether they are reasonable.

IMG_20170226_120545.jpg

IMG_20170225_163010.jpgIMG_20170225_163043.jpg

darylm

So here is the latest. I was on the telephone with gigabyte technical support. I told them that the motherboard seems to be only detecting memory in two slots, but memtest86 is detecting memory in all 4 slots. He was trying to tell me the problem was the processor, but admitted the motherboard was acting strangely. Since I have no other processor to try he agreed to send me another motherboard, but also suggested that I RMA the processor. Another motherboard is on the way and I opened an RMA with AMD. Also I had opened an online technical support request. The telephone technical support suggested I send the screen captures to the online technical support. The response this morning was to press f9 after post, which is system information. Bwlow are screen captures of the main page, MIT and F9.

The main page and MIT only see 2 DIMMs and 4 GB, but F9 shows 8 GB. This appears to be a bios bug, which is what I've been trying to tell them all along. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the F9 before, which in my opinion clearly proves this is a motherboard / bios problem.

IMG_20170301_102509.jpgIMG_20170301_102533.jpgIMG_20170301_102429.jpg

darylm

I received another motherboard from gigabyte. This one detects all of the memory modules. Based on this experience, gigabyte has some serious quality control problems in their service department. The first board I returned (which had the bios boot loop) was returned to me after two weeks of "testing" with exactly the same problem as when I sent it. The second board was sent (supposedly after being tested) with the problem of not detecting memory modules in slots 3/4. On the third time, they finally sent a motherboard that works. After the last three motherboards being from gigabyte, maybe it's time to give Asus a chance next time.