2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 8:46 AM by amdmatt

AMD FreeSync Issues

yue0707

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card

Visiontek AMD Radeon RX470 (Refrence edition w/blower style cooler), stock clock and mV settings for both core and memory, however, I do have custom fan configurations and temp thresholds configured. Additional PCI-E power is set to +50 to prevent throttling and higher fan speeds to stay within a cooler (75c) target temp.

• Desktop or Laptop System

Desktop, custom built. Case is NZXT S340 Matte Black w/ 3 140MM Fans and 1 120MM Fan. 2 140MM Fans are intake fans, the other 140mm and 120mm are exhaust.

• Operating System

Windows 10 Home x64

• Driver version installed

Radeon ReLive/Crimson Drivers ver. 17.2.1

• Display Devices

ASUS MG248Q 24-inch Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync compatible if enabled) 1080p 1ms 144hz gaming monitor. USING DISPLAYPORT @1080P, 144HZ

• Motherboard

ASUS H110 Series mATX Motherboard

• CPU/APU

Intel Core i3 6100 CPU 2 Cores/4 Threads

• Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

Corsair MX650 Gold Fully Modular PSU

• RAM

Geil DDR4 EVO POTENZA

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing and the steps required to reproduce the issue.

When Adaptive-Sync on my ASUS MG248Q Monitor is enabled and AMD FreeSync is enabled thereafter (the slider is grayed out unless A-S is enabled first), I experience scan lines, increased grain, flickering in-game, increased light bleed, and Massive FPS variations in games that use DX11 or 12. Oddly, though Doom in VulkanRT API works just fine (cough, amd..., cough) although I still have grain, scan lines, and light bleed issues. CS:GO for example isn't even playable, I followed the 144hz guide to run the game and it still has major flickering, displacement, etc. Other Source games such as Insurgency will work okay, but eventually, there will be a massive FPS drop.

Those issues described above do not exist when the Monitors Adaptive-Sync is turned off. Its as if everything returns to normal and the monitor runs perfectly fine in any game w/vSync turned on. No gamma/color/scan lines/grain/flicking/light bleed, this only happens when Adaptive-Sync is turned on. So I guess my question is... This a driver issue, GPU issue, Monitor Issue, or DisplayPort Issue?  I am exchanging the Monitor with another one today to see what happens, but to me, that doesn't explain the frame rate drops or maybe it does, if the monitor is synchronizing at the hardware level and a particular hardware/software malfunction is causing a bottleneck.   DRIVERS HAVE BEEN REINSTALLED USING DISPLAY DRIVER UNINSTALLER AND CCLEANER FOR THE REGISTRY FOR A CLEAN RE INSTALLATION, NO CHANGES FROM THAT ACTION.

• Details about applications/games affected (including version number)

CS: GO - AFFECTED SEVERELY W/ADAPTIVE SYNC ON - UNPLAYABLE

DOOM - AFFECTED MODERATELY, NO FPS DROPS WITH VULKANRT ON BUT DISPLAY ISSUES EXIST - PLAYABLE

SQUAD - FORGET ABOUT IT - UNPLAYABLE

INSURGENCY - AFFECTED SEVERELY W/ADAPTIVE SYNC ON - PLAYABLE, UNTIL FPS DUMPS RANDOMLY FROM 144 TO 20FPS

OVERWATCH - HECK NO - ABSOLUTELY UNPLAYABLE, FLICKERS LIKE HECK AND BLACK SCREENS 5FPS

• Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)

High on all games over 100FPS

• If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue

Not currently available

Thanks for any help!