2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2017 5:39 AM by arcticwind

Sapphire RX460 "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

l2579930

Hello, I recently bought a sapphire rx460 to upgrade an old system that was basically a G31M-S, E5400, 2x 2gb ddr and a regular gener psu. After installing it I had some trouble with the image, I'd see something like this:

niIpsOT.jpg

Tried in both my tvs and I saw the same thing, asked a friend to borrow their system, somewhat similar e7400, 2x2gb ddr2 and can't remember exactly the model of the mobo but it was an asus. So, I install it there, boot up the pc with the same drive I had from the other pc and I see something like this on the mobo screen, but it keeps going and once it reaches win10 it's actually fine, I can finally see. I install the basics like directx, drivers and some programs and run league, start a custom match to see if everything works fine, after a while my tv sort of resets and shows me the resolution as if I was just selecting the HDMI source for the first time, also the game is "minimized", by this I mean that I can't see the game, instead I see everything I had in the background but I'm still stuck with the lol in-game cursor and I can't click on anything. Fast forward a couple days, in my mind this could be a driver problem somehow, since I installed windows with another mobo maybe something is different and that's the problem (trying to be optimistic) I try to restore windows, it forks up leaving me without any O.S. the mobo doesn't have the option to boot via usb drive, I buy some DVDs, burn win10, install windows, the basics, still the same, when the game minimizes and leaves me looking at the background I can see a small yellow alert sign next to the clock, I quickly close the game and I read the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". I google for an answer, find multiple posts, I try these solutions none of them work, so far I've tried:

-Updating the driver

-Checking for multiple simoultaneous drivers

-Reinstalling directx

-Increasing GPU's processing time

-Reinstalling windows

-Changing the PSU

-Checking temperatures, even under stress

The only two things that I can think of right now are, either it's a defective card or maybe since it has a factory overclock that's somehow forking things up? Basically I'm afraid that I'll pay for shipping for the RMA and when they "test" it they simply come up with "I see just fine", since after all, the problem that I told them about came up with my own pc, on this one it works fine other than mobo screen and games.

This is the link to the card: SAPPHIRE Technology

• Re: Sapphire RX460 "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
          dra6o0n

I remember getting artifacts like that in the past on my R7 370 GPUs, and it stopped causing that issue when I changed power supply to a more 'authentic' one like Corsair instead of a Chinese branded one.

Though I already upgraded my Graphics card soon after and such.

Remember that even if your PSU says it has a X amount of wattage, it's true wattage and efficiency differs.

EDIT: Ah you mentioned TV, which means you should check the cable connection and if your TV can really handle the signals sent to it.

"I install the basics like directx, drivers and some programs and run league, start a custom match to see if everything works fine, after a while my tv sort of resets and shows me the resolution as if I was just selecting the HDMI source for the first time"

Use a smaller resolution and you should see the output change dramatically.

If your TV loses display for a moment and has to 'reset' itself, it's likely due to the resolution set in the application that's affecting the TV's ability to render it.

For instance look up what refresh rate and resolution the TV can handle on that input. Some older HDTVs may seem to support HDMI and 1080 resolution, but it may be 1080i and not 1080p and at like 30hz or so. The operating system automates connection to the TV to render your graphics on a setting that's compatible, but the game takes the last settings used and loads that when you run the game.

I'm not sure if the previous GPU on the old system was ran using a certain resolution or refresh rate, but try resetting it or changing the resolution and refresh rate of your 'monitor' settings in Windows 10 to see if the TV loses display, then hit ESC to cancel out of it.

The DVI-D port of my GPU allows my gaming monitor to go up to 144hz, but i limit it to 120hz because funky things happen at 144hz at times if i leave it at 144hz.

• Re: Sapphire RX460 "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
            arcticwind

I think you have more than one problem happening here.

Chances are that the GPU is ok but is having problems trying to work with the older motherboard, CPU & ram.

You should check with ASRock to see if your motherboard is actually able to use windows 10 first.

According to their web site it can only go up to windows 7 and the last BIOS update was from 2012.

Also what version on Windows 10 are you trying to use, 32 bit or 64 bit?

What PSU are you using and what is the wattage? Does it have enough amps to run that new GPU?

You will get more assistance and answers faster by supplying some basic info when posting a question.

Please read this...  INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION