7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 3:30 PM by ajlueke

How do you game?

ajlueke

The titular question is something I have been curious about for a while.  Now that HDR is being positioned as the new golden child of the display industry and 3D being given up for dead, is HDR that something that will get the average gamer to upgrade?  How do most of the other Red Team members use their gaming rigs?   Do you game at your desk, or from the couch on a TV?  Is Freesync/Gsync important or is resolution/HDR what you gravitate towards?  What about audio?

For me personally, I game with my PC plugged into my TV.  Typically  I use a Xbox One Elite controller, but on games that favor a mouse and keyboard I also have a Razer Turret that I use.  I do this primarily because I have a nice home theater speaker system that sounds amazing with games.   The audio quality is excellent, and as most game engines support directional audio, the surround helps in isolating where an enemy is coming from.   The gaming PC also doubles as a mkv repository for my DVDs and Blu-rays.   Thus I can play movies at full audio fidelity and play with maximum sonic impact.  This is actually one of the biggest reasons I am and AMD fan.  They were the first to put HDMI audio directly on the graphics card (5000 series) without requiring a separate sound card.

I realize I am missing out on freesync as TVs don't support that technology (any news on that?).   I do notice screen tearing when frames get high, and the input lag with vsync enabled.  But I'm not sure I would be willing to sacrifice the sonic experience to eliminate those things.  As I sit on the couch, about 10ft from the display, 4K isn't very useful for me.  Not only does it strain graphics hardware, but I doubt I would be able to notice a difference in picture quality at that distance on the 55" TV.  With some of these 30"+ curved monitors however, I can see how it might be a major advantage for those sitting at a desk.   I don't have any experience with HDR, so I'm not sure if that is something I would be willing to update a display for.  However, if TV manufacturer's release a TV with freesync 2 and HDR, I would definitely consider a display upgrade.  Until then, my 2009 LCD TV works just fine.

So now it is time to hear from the rest of you.  How do you game?  What are the must have features that drive your gaming setup?  Is 4K important?  What about HDR and Freesync?  Maybe I am missing out on something by sacrificing those features.

• Re: How do you game?
          kxuping

HDR in Freesync2 will be software based, so it depends on the game title (as I understand the published information about FS2). If using HDR outside FS2 you will have more lag.

On resolution, for a 27" I think 1440 is the perfect resolution, fullhd is too less and 4K is too much resolution. I have 3x 1440 60Hz 27" monitors without Freesync and play every game that I can in Eyefinity (multimonitor), specially car racing games. I just turn on Vsync and frame pacing on the new Crimson relive edition drivers and screen tearing is almost non existent. Only for benchmarking I turn vsync and frame pacing off to gain a few more fps. Freesync is the future, but with vsync and frame pacing you can still use your monitor and have a great experience waiting for it to die and be replaced with a FS2 monitor.

I use steam home streaming to play on the living room from my F2004 (old) to a small HTPC with an AMD E-350 APU. It cant run actual games, but steam home streaming and playing movies with HW acceleration (Kodi) works great. There I use Xbox 360/One and Steam controller. On my main PC I use K&M, logitech G27 wheel and sometimes the same gamepads I use on the living room.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              ajlueke

Interesting.

I find that on a 1080p TV, my graphics card generates enough frames that I have noticeable input lag when I turn vsync on so I tend to leave it turned off and just deal with the tearing.  I suppose with a 1440 display it is more difficult to exceed 60fps and inputs on frames that are not displayed are probably less common.

I also have a smaller APU based computer in the living room upstairs.  It is used for some web browsing, and also for streaming movies from the gaming PC downstairs.  I use Mediaportal for that purpose, but am interested in trying Kodi again since the latest version supports 3D LUT calibration files.

I guess I could put a smaller PC in the living room downstairs and hook it into the audio system, and game with Steam stream and the Xbox One controller.  How is the latency on games streaming over steam?   

feverstriker

For me its all about having that little piece of space all to myself. Put on my AudioTechnicas and go crazy with the volume without disturbing anyone. The desk is key and while my setup right now is kinda smallish I will be looking to upgrading my desk to a bigger size one. I was also considering buying a glass desk and possibly building a PC into it for the truest BattleStation feeling. As far as the monitor goes and the resolution, the only think I've recently wanted to do is get a FreeSync monitor with standard 1080p resolution and low refresh rates, high resolution gaming is great and all but I don't have the system capable of pulling the minimum 60 fps that I am accustomed too. I am usually willing to sacrifice quality for performance. Just my two cents.

mohotashi

I rock a Viewsonic 1080p 75hz Freesync, and I love it. No tearing, at 60-75 fps 1080p. I still occasionally hook everything up on the TV, whip out the Xbox one controller, and sit on the couch. Most of the time I use mouse an keyboard, Mechanical Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014, with a logitech G Pro Gaming and sit at a desk. I use Hyper X Cloud 2.0's with 7.1 Audio. I prefer sitting at a desk for stuff, with a headset makes me feel like I am getting down to business. Not sure if I answered your question 100%, but I prefer these things.

I would love to have a higher freesync range. I love that technology. Freesync 2 adding both HDR and HDMI support, I cannot see why those wouldn't be amazing displays. More than likely, a freesync 2 display will be my next one I purchase.

ajlueke

This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.  Right now, by gaming on the couch I know I am missing out on Freesync and more stable control with a solid wired mouse and keyboard.  But, by moving to the desk I'd have to give up the receiver driven audio.  Currently, my PC is plugged into a Marantz SR-5010 receiver.  The receiver drives the audio for games and movies to a 5 channel Polk based speaker setup and a Hsu research VTF-2 subwoofer.  It sounds incredible when playing games, and I'm not sure I'd want to give that up for lesser computer speakers or a headset in order to benefit from Freesync and more responsive controls. 

I do see Hyper Cloud 2.0's and AudioTechnicas mentioned here.  How is the audio quality on headsets these days?  I don't have a lot of experience with them.  Perhaps with a decent headset, the audio quality lost would be minimal?  I suppose the audio would have to be decoded by the motherboard to send to the headset, and I don't think my motherboard has the best audio chip or DACs, certainly not comparable to the Marantz 5010.  What headsets do other Red Team members typically use?  Do you drive them with motherboard audio chips or do you use a separate sound card with higher end DACs?  Let me know!

cavemanthe0ne

I game on triple 1200p monitors that are some old HP's that i was able to grab for like $80 a piece. They are IPS and 1920x1200, 60hz, with 5ms response time. Or maybe its 3ms, i havent checked in a while. This is using my gaming rig: Red Helix Rig   and I also will occasionally use the xbox 360 i still have to play some of the exclusive games that are on it (like Forza Horizon 1 + 2)

Also connected to that PC is a custom 3.1 audio setup powered by a Onkyo TX-SR606 reciever, two Bose Model 31's and some random KLM center speaker that is pretty nice. Sound quality is nice and clean, and the speakers are sufficiently loud enough to freak out neighbors if I play DOOM with the speakers on high volume lol. Something about playing DOOM with the sound up loud enough to shake the walls is just so satisfying.

When not using that, I use AKG K240s which are the best headphones under $100 by far, at least in audio quality.

I may look at getting a few newer monitors at some point but for now, the 1200p displays are what i need.

ajlueke

Really cool.  I actually used the Onkyo TX-SR605 until I upgraded to the Marantz last year.  I primarily upgraded due to the 2 HDMI in ports became a limiting factor.

I never considered building a true surround system with a desk at the center as opposed to the couch.  Perhaps I could pull the couch back like we do to play Kinect, and roll in a desk with freesync display and wired mouse and keyboard.  That could even be designed as a mobile unit.   As long as the desk and display are easy to roll in and out that might not be a bad way to go...