8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 5:36 AM by ismithers

freesync

nenad

Hello, i bought G2460PF AOC Monitor - AOC  and after many many days of experiments, i can't get freesync to work normally. For example, on 144hz, freesync in csgo destroys frame rate and each bullet fired makes my game "freeze". Also, in world of warcraft (legion), screen flickers in game(also in CS:GO but not so much in game, more like in main menu). I'm really curious about this freesync technology, i looked over thousand support questions and informations, and i still can't figure out problem. Same goes for "rocket league", i get even black lines(the ones when you force too much fps over display and lines show on screen).

I really need some help. I'm using DP cable, and  http://prntscr.com/e8mpc9  settings. Please help.

PS1: I tried already disabling other monitor, nothing happens.

Message was edited by: Nenad Dragicevic

• Re: freesync
          arcticwind

It would help to know what GPU you are using.  There are some cards in the R9 200 series that do not support Freesync.

FreeSync™ Technology | AMD

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

ismithers

I have some BenQ XL2730Z monitors and R9 Fury GPUs with Freesync running. It should be as simple as connecting the monitors, enabling FreeSync in AMD Crimson and starting a game.

That being said, nothing is ever as simple as it is suggested. I had quite the mission trying to get FreeSync to work and ended up buying 3 different brands of DisplayPort cable - that was really my fault as I need longer than normal cables due to my desk/PC position. Did you use the cable that came with the monitor? That should be totally fine.

The other thing I had to do was set my monitor to 144Hz in Windows. For some reason AMD don't let you change the refresh rate in AMD Crimson which is really annoying, so you need to: RMB on the desktop -> Display Settings -> Advanced Display Settings -> Display Adapter Properties -> Monitor Tab -> Screen Refresh Rate: 144Hz.

Can you post some more system information if the above doesn't help - and your specific DisplayPort cable if you aren't using the bundled one.

BenQ XL2730ZFree

nenad

Thank you so much for your response. Yes , i use the cable that came with the monitor. Maybe that quality of cable is crap or something?  Yes i already have that,  144 hz set via display settings ,but im more curious about frame rate control option?

Yes sure.

http://prntscr.com/e9g9ed  This is ram/cpu/version.

http://prntscr.com/e9g9zi  Graphics, its r2 290x

http://prntscr.com/e9ga6t  144 hz

ismithers

I have some BenQ XL2730Z monitors and R9 Fury GPUs with Freesync running. It should be as simple as connecting the monitors, enabling FreeSync in AMD Crimson and starting a game.

That being said, nothing is ever as simple as it is suggested. I had quite the mission trying to get FreeSync to work and ended up buying 3 different brands of DisplayPort cable - that was really my fault as I need longer than normal cables due to my desk/PC position. Did you use the cable that came with the monitor? That should be totally fine.

The other thing I had to do was set my monitor to 144Hz in Windows. For some reason AMD don't let you change the refresh rate in AMD Crimson which is really annoying, so you need to: RMB on the desktop -> Display Settings -> Advanced Display Settings -> Display Adapter Properties -> Monitor Tab -> Screen Refresh Rate: 144Hz.

Can you post some more system information if the above doesn't help - and your specific DisplayPort cable if you aren't using the bundled one.

BenQ XL2730ZFree

rbrucemtl

Freesync is a mixed bag... I wish they would add it in the game profiles so I can switch it on and off automatically for specific games.    Some games are majorly improved by using freesync.  Other games flicker like crazy until you turn it off, the latest driver also has big performance issues with some small indie games (Planetbase, and Parkitect in my case) the FPS will be a steady 90% of the time but with massive dips to under 30 for brief moments killing the game immersion.  Rolling back to drivers before 16.11 drivers fixes some of the issues for those games.   Good luck getting AMD to do anything for a game that is not on there AAA list.

People here mix up all the different causes of "flicking" but there is a type of flicking (flashing) that unfortunately may never get fixed..  This youtube video explains the issues is with LCD panels and not the drivers.  This applies to all adaptive LCDs monitors but some will show more then others and it's also depends on your eyes.

A Look into Reported G-Sync Display Flickering - YouTube

nenad

Quick UPDATE:

If i set freesync to 60 hz(refresh rate), there is no flickering, and if i put to 144hz there is. What could be the issue? I experimented these days and found only one solution for freesync, put 60hz and freesync works properly.

ismithers

Setting 60Hz is somewhat defeating the purpose heh, but OK good information. I'm beginning to feel like the monitor is faulty. Was this a new monitor, if so and it is under warranty, you can return it and ask the store to verify it. Freesync isn't so mysterious and troublesome that it would take this much effort to get it working. It really is a couple of switches and done deal.

Were you able to upload a video of the issues you experience, that would be helpful.