3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 11:58 PM by mjpbmp

My Ryzen Dreadnought Build

mjpbmp

Build Logo.PNG          

The first thing to do is to pick which CPU and chipset, but with not much information released yet, it is hard to decide what to go with.  Bottom line is since this is my Dreadnought and mothership of PC’s in my arsenal, I want it to be top of the line.  Whatever is the top CPU coming out is what this build needs:  AMD Ryzen R7-1800X Summit Ridge paired with the X370 chipset.   Next comes the motherboard and as of right now I am leaning toward the CROSSHAIR VI Hero AM4 Motherboard. There really isn’t a decent picture except a slide show pic, but it appears to be feature rich.  I also like the MSI board as well so I will make a final decision later.  The platinum color may be kicking it in this scheme I am dreaming up.

ASUS_MB_AM4.PNGZEN_CPU.PNG

What house will this heart and soul of a machine get to live in?  I have chosen the Corsair Graphite Series 780T case in white.  With the LED color scheme I think the white case gives me a nice look and it will be something different than what seems to be the normal black color case.  I am going for a red white and blue theme so the front fans will be glowing blue and the inside will glow red.  The fans I am using will be Corsair ML140 PRO LED Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans.  For the cables I will give Corsair some love and go with the Professional Individually sleeved DC Cable Kit, Type 3 (Generation 2), BLUE.

Corsair780T.PNGML120_FAN_BLUE.PNGML120_FAN_RED.PNGPS_Cables.PNG

The case can take two 140mm or three 120mm fans in the front and I am not decided on which configuration to go with.  I also have an idea to run red, white and blue fans in front in a three 120mm fan config., but the main thought right now is two 140mm blue fans. 

For the CPU cooling I am definitely going with a liquid cooler and I have not decided yet since there is very little out there right now.  the case can handle up to a 360mm radiator up top.  But, for now we will continue to give Corsair some love and list their Hydro Series™ H115i 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler.

The power supply will need to do some heavy lifting since I plan on outfitting this beefy power hungry video cards.  I have heard a lot of issues with Corsair power supplies, but I have not had many problems in my experience so I am picking the AX1200i Digital ATX 1200 Watt 80 PLUS® Platinum Certified Fully-Modular PSU.

AX1200i_PS.PNG

What about memory.  There is one thing I am disappointed with in my current system is the memory performance only because I want it to be faster than what the FX 8370 can pony up.  In the past systems Corsair has always given me the best memory performance consistently over the years so I will continue to love on them with the parts in choosing the VENGEANCE® LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit -BLUE LED.  I will most likely buy two of these kits, but really that is total overkill--but this is a Dreadnought build!  I was thinking of doing some contrast inside with the color blue on two things:  The memory LED and the cabling.  All the fans and other inside lights (yet to be determined) will be red.  For hard drive memory I will got with a SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for the OS and two WD Blue 1TB Internal SSD Solid State Drive - SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch running in a RAID configuration.  I am pretty sure I will forgo parity and use a stripped array to satisfy the need for speed.  I am excited about Intel's new Optane technology.  They boast that the drives they have been testing are 7 times faster than any NVMe drive on the planet.  I may have to upgrade if possible later.

VengeanceMemKit.PNGM2_2280_1TB_SSD.PNGWD_SSD_1TB.PNG

Why go with the WD blue in this Dreadnought PC build?  Well, I will be giving up some speed for leading MTTF (MTBF) rate.  Plus it goes with my theme colors.  These blue's have an industry leading life cycle and they are not so much slower than other drives that it out weighs picking them in order to get the better MTTF (Mean Time To Failure).

For now, that about sums it up.  The estimated total cost of the rig so far is $2,800.00 just for the parts listed here (prices are full retail price and some are estimates since nothing official has been released yet on some).  Plus, you notice I have not listed any graphics cards yet.  I may have to go low end until Vega is released so I am undecided right now.  Quite frankly I would be happy with a pair of R9 Fury cards running this baby.  How is that for low end?

I cannot wait!

Michael

• Re: My Ryzen Dreadnought Build
          colesdav

Nice pick of components there.
          I would say that though ... I have everything you picked apart from Ryzen CPU and Motherboard and I don't have any DDR4 Ram yet.

I have 2 AX1200i PSU's. One did have to be returned before the 5 year warranty deadline.
          It developed an issue where it would trip out on power up and sometimes during benchmarking.
          Corsair kindly replaced it for me without charge. Their RMA process was excellent. 
          I had the replacement brand new AX1200i running in my Server PC in less than a week.

Really interested to see Ryzen pricing and motherboards.

Real pity I couldn't just keep my Z87 motherboard and replace the i7-4770K with a pin compatible top end Ryzen CPU though.
          There are probably many technical or legal or patent reasons why that cannot be done. But it is a real pity.

It would be an absolute "no brainer", much needed upgrade, and an immediate move away from Intel to AMD for me.

I have been less than impressed with the whole i7-4970K versus i7-4770K 'story'.
          I own both of these chips. The i7-4970K is what the i7-4770K should have been from the start.
          The i7-4770K temperatures get really high because of poor Thermal Interface Material.
          I have thought of de-lidding and replacing the TIM in the i7-4770K, but it is a risky business.

The i7-4970K I own does perform really well in comparison to the i7-4770K.

To be fair to Intel, both these CPU's have run o.k. now for 4 and 3 yrs respectively, so they are reliable for my use.

I do need more CPU power now. I have not seen anything from Intel that I can afford or is compelling enough to me to justify upgrading yet.
          I have not seen any compelling innovation in CPU since the i7-4770K was released back in mid 2013, nearly 4 years ago now.

I wait to see,  and really look forward to full Ryzen release and reviews.

I hope high performance Ryzen + Motherboard is not too expensive because I am really interested in a new VEGA  GPU as well.
          I will be waiting until the end of 2017 to give time for reviews to come out and make final decision on what to do next.

I completed a Windows 8.0 + new Z87 + Haswell build as soon as it came out back in 2013 and there were lots of software/driver/motherboard troubles for the first few months.
          Hopefully AMD and Partners will do a great job of qualifying Ryzen and Motherboards and Drivers for the release.

When I spend the money to build an new PC/Workstation/Server I need it up an running properly as soon as possible.

Bye.

kxuping

do some reliability test before using the SSDs in raid 0. the 990FX chipset was not compatible in Raid 0 or 1 with the controller on the Samsungs 840 SSD, it didnt have problems in non raid modes. You moved a few GBs and the sata bus were those samsungs ssd were attached started resetting, losing or corrupting data. I even bought a brand new Asus Crosshair V Formula Z thinking that the first motherboard was bad. Later I tested  with a few more Asus CHFZ and Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 with the same problems. I then bought two Corsairs Neutron GTX SSD and those worked perfectly in Raid with the 990FX. A lot of people had this problem with the mobos named before and with the Asus Tuf with the samsungs ssds

mjpbmp

The Samsung is going to be a single M.2 1TB drive for the OS.  The Raid set up is intended for the WD Blue SSD drives.  Of course, as you say, this will depend on the support for the 370 chipset.

With the ASUS Sabertooth I have now, I do have some quirks with setting RAID.  I already loaded the OS under AHCI and then wanted to set ports 1-4 to RAID.  Well, the chipset wants all 6 ports set to IDE when RAID is enabled.  Then, due to the OS being loaded under AHCI, when the ports were set to RAID and ports 5 and M.2 were set to IDE, I could not boot.  So I cancelled that plan and set it back to AHCI with no RIAD.  When I did this I did not have the M.2 SSD so in the near future I will attempt it again to see.  When I could not boot it was on port 5 and not the M.2.  Maybe because the M.2 is PCIe 2.0 x4 it may free up the SATA ports for raid and if port 5 goes to IDE that is fine because I will just hook the optical drive into that port.  Don't really care if that is slow as long as it works.

I then cheated and set the drives to dynamic in Windows and got close to RAID by spanning the two drives together into one logical drive.

When the new AM4 motherboards actually come out I will get the chance to dig into the specifics to see which one, if any, will support what I want to do.