2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 10:44 AM by r1co

RX 480 core clocks constantly fluctuating on idle?

clarkskull

I've just got a new RX 480, MSI gaming X version and on idle the core clock is constantly fluctuating like crazy from 800-1300mhz with the temps at 50 degrees ( I know the MSI cards fans don't come on till 60 ). Should this be happening?

Here's a screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/TrPJePI.gif

• Re: RX 480 core clocks constantly fluctuating on idle?
          r1co

Hi clarkskull i have a RX 480 Red Devil oc 8gb and a similar problem, mine in idle is constantly at 1330 mhz and gpu usage fluctuating from 0 to 100% with temps over 60 degrees. This happens since 3 days, i tried all ( virus scan, malware scan, uninstalled drivers with ddu, switch on another slot pciex of motherboard, i also switched on the second bios of the card ) but the issue is always on. If i restart pc is fine but after few minutes without doing nothing the issue come back, if i play something the issue come out immediately. I bought the card on Amazon 2 months ago and tomorrow i will do rma. I don't know if this is an hardware or software issue. Please i need to know the cause of issue.

UPDATE    i found the cause of the problem, simply is "windows defender user interface" that start hiddenblokingthe cardalso tried to put an old gtx 660 nvidia and the same problem. now i have to search how to prevent the program from auto start

• Re: RX 480 core clocks constantly fluctuating on idle?
            black_zion

"Idle" really isn't idle, your GPU is still under 2D stress from UI rendering, which causes the clocks to fluctuate.