7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2017 1:21 PM by apollojs

RX480 turns off

senshu

Hi,

I am having a problem with my RX480 (SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 480 8GB). I first noticed the problem last weekend. While playing a game (in this case Factorio, which should not be a big task for the 480), the screen turned black. Audio was still playing. Afer a while I noticed, that the fan of the 480 was not turning anymore - it was completely turned off. Restarting the computer didn't help, graphics card still turned off.

I tried putting it in another slot. The fan turned for maybe 5 seconds, then again, no power.

After waiting a while (I don't know how long - Overnight is enough), the card is working again - at least until I want to play a game. Then again: No power for the 480.

I reinstalled the drivers (removal with ddu), but it didn't help. Windows is up-to-date. I did not make any changes to the system when the error first occured. But there was an automated driver update for the 480 on January 29, and I didn't use the system between that date and last weekend.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix the problem, or where the problem is? Since it seems like there is no power for the card, it could be the power supply or mainboard, as well..

• AMD Graphics Card
        • SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 480 8GB
      • Desktop or Laptop System
        • Desktop
      • Operating System
        • Windows 10 64bit
      • Driver version installed
        • Crimson ReLive Edition 17.1.2
      • Display Devices
        • LG Electronics 24MB56HQ-B, 1920*1080 @64Hz, HDMI
      • Motherboard
        • ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance
      • CPU/APU
        • Intel Core i5 6600
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • 500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM
      • RAM
        • 8GB

Thanks in advance for your help,

senshu

• Re: RX480 turns off
          apollojs

@senshu, I have the same problem. I browsed the internet for 2 month's trying to fix this problem. I think we should all team up and force AMD to get their sh"$£ together. I spent a lot of money on a product that is useless. I took my card (RX480) back today for RMA and they told me I had to wait 21 days. They will first test see if they get the same error.

All this hype and promotions and bla bla bla, then we buy their cards and then we sit with this crap. This is my second AMD card and now this. This first card also had some fault.

@AMD, do you guys actually know what you are doing.? In my profession I will get fired if I designed something, sell it to a customer and the product is full of issues.

I propose that AMD focus on fixing their GPU issues before they launch the 'ZEN' CPU's and steel more money for useless products. If I get the chance to refund, I'll go back to NVidia. At least one can actually use their products.

And no, I'm not a hater, I'm just pissed that put my trust and money in AMD and now actually have to struggle to get this replaced and probably fight with some stupid IT tech who's gonna try and convince me that the card is ok. Thanks AMD! your the best

goodplay

Is that psu the gold rated 4 x 18amp rail model ?

So the pc works fine for general use, but only shuts down under gaming (all games or just the one ?), then won't restart until after a long cool down period ?

No overclock of cpu/ram/psu ?

Why 64hz on the monitor (not looking up specs) ?

Is the card recent/new purchase ?

senshu

Hi Goodplay,

Thanks for your reply. The full name of the psu is "500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM Modular 80+ Gold".

Yes, the pc usually works fine for general use, but I don't know when exactly the shutdown happens. It happened once while surfing, but most of the time when I try to start gaming. I actually didn't try any other games, but I played the game a lot without problems - until now.

But only the graphics card shuts down, not the entire PC! And yes, it won't start again until after a long cool down period (The PC does, but not the 480).

No overclocking, 64hz is the preset (I didn't change anything), the card is from July 16 and worked fine until now.

goodplay

I personally do not feel that running the card from an 18amp rail is sufficient, it's possible that the "over temp protection" (of the psu) is shutting that rail down.

You could try plugging the cable into the other (12v3/12v4) psu slot.

Another option would be to use a 2 into 1 (power to pcie ) adaptor (I don't recommend this option on a low quality/low rated psu though).

And you could check with Sapphire support as to their minimum amp requirement.

apollojs

Gents, here try this.It works 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2PA2NGOc-A