AnsweredAssumed Answered

RX480 turns off

Question asked by senshu on Feb 12, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 by apollojs

Hi,

I am having a problem with my RX480 (SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 480 8GB). I first noticed the problem last weekend. While playing a game (in this case Factorio, which should not be a big task for the 480), the screen turned black. Audio was still playing. Afer a while I noticed, that the fan of the 480 was not turning anymore - it was completely turned off. Restarting the computer didn't help, graphics card still turned off.

I tried putting it in another slot. The fan turned for maybe 5 seconds, then again, no power.

After waiting a while (I don't know how long - Overnight is enough), the card is working again - at least until I want to play a game. Then again: No power for the 480.

I reinstalled the drivers (removal with ddu), but it didn't help. Windows is up-to-date. I did not make any changes to the system when the error first occured. But there was an automated driver update for the 480 on January 29, and I didn't use the system between that date and last weekend.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix the problem, or where the problem is? Since it seems like there is no power for the card, it could be the power supply or mainboard, as well..

• AMD Graphics Card
    • SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 480 8GB
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Crimson ReLive Edition 17.1.2
  • Display Devices
    • LG Electronics 24MB56HQ-B, 1920*1080 @64Hz, HDMI
  • Motherboard
    • ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance