2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 9:03 PM by kingfish

R9 390 Display DVI does not work

ravenrd

Hello,

I have a similar problem to the one described here DVI not working with R9 390 . Only difference is that i know for sure it should work just fine.

I have a MSI Radeon™ R9 390 which I have been using for some time now in a dual display configuration, 1x 27" ASUS and one 4k LCD TV. I have been using this configuration with no issues for almost 1.5 years up until two days ago, when during a game my PC just lost power.

Seeing how it started up again just fine, I thought the problem was my Intel proc finally overheating and initiating a shutdown. After that i just started my PC again and it worked with no issues.

That is until yesterday, when everything was working fine, i was not even using it at that moment, just playing a movie, and for no reason my monitor connected to the DVI port suddenly lost signal. Looking in the windows event log I can see just one GPU related error at about that time, which after a quick google search seemed too generic to investigate further...

Log Name:      Application

Source:        ATIeRecord

Date:          07-Feb-17 19:53:18

Event ID:      16387

Task Category: EEU

Level:         Error

After a lot of testing i have reached the same conclusions as in the post above:

1. Clearing all drivers and reinstalling does not work, tried older drivers as well and still no luck

2. Without any AMD drivers, just using the Windows 8.1 defaults, the card mirrors the image on the two displays no probs (although i don't see two displays in settings, just one)

3. As soon as i install any AMD driver, the DVI display dies (it has nothing to do with the displays, if i switch the HDMI between them they both work fine). The same with older drivers (initially i suspected a driver update was to blame)

As I was stuck with no further ideas i started reading the post above and I came across one explanation from warpfact0r10 saying the blame was with the PSU. Reading this, some things start to add up for my symptoms and config (i have an 8yo Sirtec 620W PSU), however, as i don't have any 650W PSU around, my question is this:

Has anybody else encountered an issue in which due to a faulty PSU the R9 390 behaved odd ? Or is it even normal for a GPU to "partially" work if it has power issues ?

I am also interested to know if my card could have been damaged in any way ?.. currently the DVI is the only issue but maybe something else lurks under the hood ... is there any way to check ?

Thank you in advance for any feedback !

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My PC specs here:

Operating System     Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

CPU                          Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 51 °C Yorkfield 45nm Technology

RAM                         8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 340MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard             http://www.abit.com.tw/ IX38-QuadGT (Intel X38-ICH9R) (Socket 775) 39 °C

Graphics                  8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (MSI) 58 °C              

Display                    VS278 (1920x1080@59Hz)

• Re: R9 390 Display DVI does not work
          warpfact0r10

I wish I had better news for you. It would be really useful for you to be able to test with a new power supply.

Troubleshooting is going to be somewhat problematic given the age of your motherboard and the fact that Abit no longer exists.
          Universal Abit - Wikipedia

"Universal Abit later announced that it would close on December 31, 2008, and officially cease to exist on 1 January 2009."

I'd back up your data and do a clean install of Windows. Perhaps you'll get lucky and issues resolve themselves. Try the GPU in a different system if possible. Other than that, I'd be recommending a completely new system if you were my client.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: R9 390 Display DVI does not work
            kingfish

I'm not sure about this, as I don't install it, but does this have something to do with ReLive recorder?

Log Name:      Application

Source:        ATIeRecord

Also, have you checked these DVI settings ?

Screenshot_112.png