0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 6:26 AM by mb488

Freesync the active application

mb488

First of all, I really like that you added BORDERLESS freesync. Thanks!

I have a question though, is it possible for the AMD driver to sync the monitor's refresh to the currently active application?

For example, let's say that I run a game in borderless freesync mode (144Hz), then alt-tab out of it to use my web browser on my secondary, 60Hz monitor.

When I do this, the game will keep running on freesync, but the browser will have a heavy performance hit because of that and be extremely laggy, at what feels like 12 FPS.

That's a perfectly fine compromise when I'm playing the game of course and I see why that is happening, but is there a way to read that the browser is now the active window and it is running at 60Hz, so set the new freesync rate to 60 Hz or multiples of that (120Hz), to ensure that the browser performs well and the game is second priority, until you switch back into it again?

I even have this problem when I'm not even running a game. With freesync enabled and absolutely nothing open or moving on the 144Hz freesync display, my 60Hz IPS display where I do most of my "utility" stuff on, is VERY laggy, forcing me to disable and enable freesync every time I launch in and out of a game. Luckily I have a monitor that has quick setting buttons to do this, but the switch takes several seconds, blacks out all screens and even re-arranges the position of my windows into random places or other screens.

I know it's not hard to get the currently active window, at least not in the programming languages I know, so I hope this is not too much effort and something that many people would love. The "question" here is whether this is already possible, whether I am experiencing a bug, or how big the demand and feasability on this are.

Specs:

4GB RX 480 by PowerColor

Driver version 17.1.2 (all previous had the same problem)

Primary screen: 144Hz Freesync 1080p (CFG70 by Samsung)

Secondary screen: 60Hz non-freesync 1080p (U2312HM by Dell)

Windows 7 SP1