8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 2:02 PM by warsun

[Request]  RyZen,8 Core 4.9 to 5.3GHz 

warsun

Just putting this out there.Hear me out.I do not like running anything lower than 4.4GHz.I have a FX 9370.I wanted the FX 9590 but if RyZen is still optimizing processors an continuing to innovate.Um.I would like to request a 8 or 12 Core at 5 GHz or higher You know minimum.An no i do not work for Intel or some spy or something.I feel if I already have a 8 core at 5GHz it should be no problem making a RyZen at this or close to this speed.Just requesting this to be forwarded to the hardware dept.I need an excuse to spend more money on a new processor an i cant make excuses.

• Re: [Request]  RyZen,8 Core 4.9 to 5.3GHz 
          black_zion

The thing is that a 4ghz Ryzen will be the equivalent of an 8ghz FX-9000 series due to much improved IPC, and the way it appears clock speeds will be from 3.4ghz-4ghz depending on model, so there's not going to be a 5ghz model AS STOCK, but AMD said they would all be overclockable, so who knows what they will be capable of in the real world.

warsun

I know they are powerful.But this wont change my mind.I require speed.At the speed offered an performance level.it will be able to get applications done quickly.But i want more speed.It could take a year maybe 5 months.But this is exactly what i want.Just being honest.

xajel

You won't get it any time soon, 4-5GHz seems to be a trouble for silicon based electronics, the high-clock speed increases the heat and power consumption increases tremendously in this range, that's why Intel couldn't actually fulfil it's promise regarding a 5GHz CPU.. they went back to the drawing boards and re engineered the architecture to give more IPC in order to have more performance in the same clock range...

AMD with Ryzen has a different approach, they're seeing that the future is becoming more reliant on multi-core processing, that's why they're targeting high core count even for mainstream, they also optimised the design to deliver more IPC and a little bit smaller cores, so the almost perfect mix of cores/IPC/die size/clocks... we're still a little bit over two weeks to really still see what Ryzen is capable of.

While Ryzen will be able to overclock, and should go beyond 4.0GHz, but I don't expect any thing near 5GHz specially in this early silicons... maybe later we might be able to overclock it to that range...