6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 1:53 PM by leggir

rx 480 performance issues

thar0z

Hi all!!!

I've bought a gigabyte rx 480 g1 gaming 8gb expecting to play games over 60fps or at least at stable 60fps but nothing of that is happening.

The first game I tested was gta v, with settings in ultra it runs between 30 and 60fps (rarely 60fps), then I tried assassin's creed syndicate with same results. i'm using win 10 with a fx 8350 @ 4,3ghz cpu, 12gb ram and a ssd. the only game that runs at stable 60fps is tom clancey's rainbow six siege.

sincerely, does this gpu runs games like gta v in ultra at 60fps with my setup?

based in what i've read, it should. Is anything wrong with my pc that should be configurated or this performance is normal??

Thank you very much for you comments and help...

• Re: rx 480 performance issues
          kingfish

Ultra is too high a setting for that card in some games. I would try the high settings.

kahless_uk

GTA V is fine with the RX 480, what it's NOT fine with is any AMD CPU. The performance you describe is almost exactly where I expect an FX 8350 and RX 480 to be with that game. Double buffered vsync doesn't help either. I get an average of 45fps on my 480 with a stock 8350.

Similarly Assassin's Creed games are notoriously CPU bound (ever since AC3) which of course just gets worse with AMD CPUs (I don't own syndicate, opted for the console version, but all the others; black flag, rogue, unity all have this problem), again I get averages around 45fps.

About 90% of games are going to hit that ultra 1080p 60fps target you want with the hardware you have but those last 10% are going to struggle (especially lazy console ports) and they're mostly DX11 games that load all their rendering onto one CPU core (possibly 2) which AMD CPUs are just not good at (and weren't designed for). Some of those games are even rough on Skylake i7s on stock clocks

leggir

The RX480 was about bringing inexpensive support for VR to the masses. Performance wise however it's about the same speed as a R9 290 and R9 390 (usually a tiny bit slower). It's not a flagship card by any means, just the 'top' of AMD's current offering, before the launch of Vega. You're going to be far better off on DX12 titles than DX11. Just before Christmas I picked up a new R9 Fury X on Amazon for $200, less than the RX480.