2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 9:21 AM by oldgamer

Stream quality with polaris - my opinion

oldgamer

Hi

Iam owner of xfx RX 480 GTR BE. Was get amd with in mind that will be great option for streaming. AMD was advertise how great will be polaris for streaming with real time 2-pass video code. Was think its great , will be waiting for that. Fot this time i was owner of r9 380 , gtx 960 . Now was come moment of true , frist was get a gtx 1060 and was try a nvenc , was nice. After a one month of testing was get next a RX480 . Things was more complicated , streaming software was not fully supported a polaris. One men with help of others ppl its making a plugin for OBS - Michael alias Xaymar . He works very hard to make software better and better. After few time software was runing. Stream was  runing to but quality was not so great as should be( better was on r9 380 and nvidia cards) . But hey , its just start of software development. After few months AMD was put new SDK(that was about 6 months after premiere , lol ). And then was "things" comming out , polaris do not support a B-frames , has lower performance when come to encode speed ,  lol , but there is pre-analysis and other things . Xaymar still fight and doing hard work with development but looks like for now stream quality will be not better then r9 380 or nvenc , for now its worse. How i feel ? For now i feel very disappointed and deceived by AMD with false advertise.

PS. sry for my english

• Re: Stream quality with polaris - my opinion
          angryuser1

I don't quite know how to answer you without sounding like a fanboy, but have you tried using ReLive to stream instead of a third party program like OBS with a beta version plugin?

If the stream quality is at least half of the recording quality I've got with it, then it should be still extraordinary and I have no idea why you have issues with it.

Could you perhaps show us your ReLive settings, OBS settings, and a sample of "bad" streaming quality you have got while using these?

• Re: Stream quality with polaris - my opinion
              oldgamer

Hi

If developers says that are errors in x264 encode so they are to in ReLive . RX 480 from hardware not support B-frames(think that is esential thing) so how magicaly will be support and working in ReLive ? MikhailAMD made internal tickets to fix errors , so when there are errors so how will be no errors in ReLive when third party software and ReLive base on this same SDK and drivers? Developer says:

PreAnalysis encoding seems to be not working · Issue #66 · GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AMF · GitHub

Xaymar"... In the OBS plugin I have had the RateControlPreAnalysis option for a while, except I used it as a boolean. It did some wonders for the output quality there, so is 17.1.1 missing the necessary VCE firmware update for AMF 1.4?"

rigaya" I also cannot find speed impact when I switch on pre-analysis at my environment, it's almost the same speed whether the options is on or off."

So something its not working like its should do work.