2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 5:08 AM by whatislove

Source Games Crashing Computer

tkerr97`

This has started happening very recently, in all of the Source games that I have tried to run, they completely crash my computer. For example, when I first load into a save in Half-Life 2, my screens go completely blank and the sound that was playing gets repeated over and over until I hard shut down my computer. This has also happened with CSGO and Garry's Mod. I downgraded my driver from 17.1.2 to 16.7.3 and it stopped crashing.

Computer specs:

GPU: PowerColor R9 390

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz

Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait

PSU: Rosewill Photon-750 750watt

Driver version: Crimson ReLive 17.1.2

• Re: Source Games Crashing Computer
          whatislove

Similiar thing is happening to me on my RX480 - Half Life 2 crashes with sound loop after few minutes of playing, however it only minimize to desktop with Settings App telling me that AMD driver crashed. I noticed that disabling VSR made crashes less frequent but they still occurs quite often. I've tried different drivers version (not as old as 16.7.3 tho) but it made no difference. I've tried reinstalling Steam and even reinstalled Windows 7, hoping that it will fix this issue - no luck. I'm kinda upset because of this, as I can play BF1 and The Witcher 3 maxed out with no problems, and such old and light game as Half-Life 2 is unplayable. It also affects all the other Source Engine games. On my R9 270X however everything is (or was at it sadly died yesterday) fine using exactly the same version of drivers. If anyone knows the fix for this issue I would really appreciate that.

My specs:
          CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz

GPU: MSI Gaming X RX480 8GB
          MB: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming

RAM: 8GB DDR3

PSU: 550W, don't remember the exact name but I'm 100% it's certified and non-blacklisted one

• Re: Source Games Crashing Computer
              whatislove

Well, I've found the fix that actually worked for me. All I had to do was to undervolt the voltage of two top gpu clock states in AMD WattMan from their factory values to 1080 mV. Not even a single crash since then and peformance of the card wasn't affected  in any game. I hope that'll help anyone struggling with similiar issue.