14 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2017 9:18 AM by codetholic

My Computer Restarts During Situations that Involve Heavy Graphics Processing.

lordchocolate

My PC:

AMD R9 390 8GB graphics card

Intel i5-4690K CPU

G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 RAM

Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD

A hard drive for documents

AsRock Z97 Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Windows 10

MSI Afterburner

Webroot SecureAnywhere

The issue started sometime last November. Sometimes when I was playing ARK: Survival Evolved (on Epic graphics at something like 1280x1080p), my computer would randomly restart. The video files produced by my screen recorder also started corrupting about then. Later, the 1920x1080p monitor that I had recently ordered came in and I hooked it up. Then the problem got really bad. Every time I was loading an ARK single-player map, it would restart in the middle of the loading screen or just before/after the terrain started appearing on the screen. I tried verifying the game. After that I was able to play the game and even record, however when I tried to exit the game, the computer would restart. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Totally Accurate Battle Simulator also caused the computer to restart some. Then I saw that there was an update for the AMD graphics driver that I was using, so I updated it making MSI Afterburner stop working properly. When I reinstalled/updated MSI Afterburner, every time the computer started up the screen would flicker with white/unaligned square shapes, freeze, often go black, and then correct itself. Then a notification would appear saying something about AMD Wattman settings failing. Then, with some trouble, (the uninstaller would appear to freeze until I disabled Webroot) I uninstalled Radeon Software (NOTE: until about this point, I never turned off my antivirus when installing/uninstalling software). Suddenly, ARK worked and I stopped having issues.

Next came Scrap Mechanic.

I really wanted Scrap Mechanic so I bought and installed it. However, when I ran it, the computer restarted on or before loading the game menu. I, irritated by the issue's recurrence, tried several driver updating programs to see if they would fix it. One of these was Driver Booster. I also tried a System Care Program: Advanced SystemCare. As Radeon Software had been uninstalled for a while, Driver Booster installed the newest AMD graphics drivers (and several other drivers). THEN the restarting issue started happening in ARK, rarely YouTube, and kept happening in Scrap Mecanic. After this turn of events I panicked, uninstalled Driver Booster, reversed the fixes made by Advanced System Care and uninstalled it, completely uninstalled the graphics drivers using Windows Device Manager, uninstalled MSI Afterburner and Riva TunerStatisticsServer, a program that works with Afterburner, and reinstalled Radeon Software/drivers, then reinstalled Afterburner and Riva TunerStatisticsServer. Then ARK started working for a while, though I think that FreeSync was not enabled at the time. At some point I enabled it. Sometime about now, the computer restarted while watching YouTube, and then started restarting when exiting ARK.

I have tried disabling FreeSync.

I have tried clean uninstalling the AMD drivers, uninstalling MSI Afterburner and Riva TunerStatisticsServer, and reinstalling all of these after noticing this in the data concerning the graphics card:

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67B1&SUBSYS_20151462&REV_80\4&63638ad&0&0008 requires further installation.

I have received no crash reports.

In Windows Event Viewer, under Critical, it mentions the restarts with this data:

Log Name:  System
      Source:    Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
      Date:      2/4/2017 15:56:30
      Event ID:  41

Task Category: (63)

Level:     Critical
      Keywords:  (70368744177664),(2)
      User:      SYSTEM
      Computer:  Lord-Chocolates-Machine

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
      <EventID>41</EventID>
      <Version>4</Version>
      <Level>1</Level>
      <Task>63</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-02-04T20:56:30.767127800Z" />
      <EventRecordID>17041</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>Lord-Chocolates-Machine</Computer>