12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 2:06 PM by warsun

fx 9590 not running at 4.7GHZ

devildann

Currently installed the fx 9590 and it not running at the stock speed of 4.7GHZ, windows is showing it at 4.0 GHZ.

Currently have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3 AM3+ Motherboard and it is showing it is compatible with the chip and it is liquid cooled Corsair H100.

The CMOS sttings showed the following:

CPU Clock Ration 4700mhz

CPU Northbridge Frequency 2200mhz

Core Performance Boost

CPB 5000mhz

CPU Frequency 200 MHZ

• Re: fx 9590 not running at 4.7GHZ
          black_zion

Power plan at High Performance, and what does CPU-Z say?

devildann

cpuz1.png

With Power Management at high performance

Processor (CPU)

CPU Name AMD FX™-9590 Eight-Core Processor

Threading 1 CPU - 8 Core - 8 Threads

Frequency 4026.27 MHz (20 * 201.31 MHz) - Uncore: 2214.4 MHz

Multiplier Current: 20 / Min: 7 / Max: 25

Architecture Vishera / OR-C0-Step (32 nm)

Cpuid / Ext. F.2.0 / 15.2

IA Extensions MMX(+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSE4A, x86-64, AMD-V, AES, AVX, XOP, FMA3, FMA4

Caches L1D : 16 KB / L2 : 2048 KB / L3 : 8192 KB

Caches Assoc. L1D : 4-way / L2 : 16-way / L3 : 64-way

TDP / Vcore 219.76 Watts / 1.456 Volts

Temperature 49.8 °C / 122 °F

Type Retail (Stock Frequency : 4000 MHz)

Motherboard

Model Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Socket Socket AM3+ (942)

North Bridge AMD RD9x0 rev 02

South Bridge AMD SB910/950 rev 40

BIOS Award Software International Inc. F9 (10/22/2012)

Hello devildann,

Please take a look at http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-9590.html , this processor, AMD FX-9590, you mentioned, has a 220W TDP. When actually working, it might consume power around 300W. After checking the information you provided, the firmware is reaching F9, so things could be confirmed that your motherboards might be Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.0 or 1.1, those motherboards do not support your processor, so there is no way to solve your problem without contacting with Gigabyte directly.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

devildann

ok, thinking on upgrading to a Gigabyte motherboard GA-990X- Gaming SLI - looked on the webpage and it say yes, but i want to make sure it ok to use with the fx9590

warsun

An as long as you don't get it from ASUS.I have experienced their you send us a new motherboard we send you a refurbished motherboard. experience.It could also be a BIOS issue.Try using the Current driver.Install that.It should update your BIOS.If not Run the Cleanremover program found on the page.So it removes the BIOS. Then reinstall the driver again.It should install.If it does not install.Screw it.Just format.Wipe the driver an start over.If you have a Backup driver just move all your stuff to the Backup an format your main.Then try again.The computer should be running normal after that.But then it could as ussual be a virus.Try AdwCleaner to see if anything is there.An check it again.

Now that i think about it.It could also be your system is set to energy efficiency from the BIOS menu.You can turn that off.You know what do that first then try the other stuff i suggest.

warsun

I just ran some test.It is the graphics driver.You need to uninstall it an install the version before it.I just got that problem.I don't know why it took a while for mine to do it.But uninstall that driver.Once its gone change your settings from Power to High to balanced or something.But do not leave it where it is.Just change it an restart.

devildann

What the hell are you talking about ?

warsun

Yeah sorry i did some testing to see what he was talking about.( in fallout 4) an i found that Core-Temp was showing full performance.So i turned on The Windows 10 Task manager an set it to Performance.An it would not,could not,go over 4.4GHz on my FX 9370.But Core Temp showed other wise.It seems the driver was the issue.Hardly noticeable because I did not enable turbo mode as a default setting.So i turned it on.All cores should be at 4.7GHz on the FX 9370.It was hovering 4.4 max.So its a driver issue.