AnsweredAssumed Answered

Firepro M5950 keeps crashing from various updates

Question asked by yaso on Feb 2, 2017

Hi I'm posting this here after trying many things to get my video card properly working.

My laptop:

AMD Firepro M5950

HP Elitebook 8560w

Windows 7 64-bit SP1

Driver version(s) tried: 16.Q1, 15.2, 14.3, 13.2

Intel Core i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHz

8GB RAM (2x 4GB)

The problem:

One day I fired up my laptop only to see it go to a BSoD with the message that the drivers stopped working and COULD NOT be restored. After severel restarts it still crashed every time. I then tried to run my dualbooted linux install and it always went to a black screen, every time after a restart I got a black screen. I then tried getting into linux via live cd's, nothing, always got a black screen. At first I thought it was a Linux problem so I wiped the Linux partition and guess what, I still got BSod's.

Solutions tried:

So I then started fixing the display drivers. I got into a continues cycle of going into safe mode, deleting the display driver then restart into normal mode and install the drivers again. I let windows automatically update it, it gave me version 14.3, still crashed, I tried the latest 16.Q1, 15.2, 14.3 and 13.2 and everytime I get the BSoD. I used DDU to do the clean installs but it made no difference at all. Days have past and I'm quite at my wit's end. And I still can't get into Linux live cd's so there's that. Is there a solution to this issue? I need my laptop or school...

Thanks in advance, YaSo

Outcomes