17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2017 2:21 AM by pet1700

A10 7860K Hot

dogf

Im using AMD A10 7860k for about 2 days, im getting readings of high temp on HWinfo.  That temperature is on windows only. Dindt test it on games .

Sem título.jpg

• Re: A10 7860K Hot
          ifixit

untitled.png

ifixit

CPU supplier here credited me, i'm getting the 7870k it's 95w, no reason given for the credit, this is how they deny a problem and avoid the consumer garentee's act of NZ..

Good luck in your country sir, but get rid of that CPU IMHO.

That's just an opinion, it's weight, 1 person. remember that. 

ifixit

I think I know what your particular issue is, and it's simply you have the thermal setting in your bios at default and it actually should be set to 65w, your basically running a 65w processor at 95w or default thermal specifications and it's over heating. Due to more volts being given it than it actually needs. In simple form.

Have a look at that, see if it helps.

dogf

Ifirt, just check my bios.

if you´re talking abou the bclk, i just have option to (auto or 100mhz plus)

I just download amd Overdrive, its funny, in idle its about 69,9c in game 51c ....check the photo.

- just put my bios alarm to 70c and never ring.

Quite strange

AMD OverDrive.png

P_20170205_173242.jpg

ifixit

Wrong page go back, look down to cpu features and enter that menu, there is a setting for cTDP? when you change the value you get 3 options 45 65 or default, it must be on 65 for that particular cpu.

Get you manual out, page 20, look down to cTDP.. that option, change it to 65.. Must be 65 for that CPU.. as it's a 65 w cpu not a 100w.

What's basically happening is the motherboard is running the cpu as if it's a 95w or more designed CPu and giving it too much of everything..? perhaps?

I'm pretty much 90% sure this is the setting we are all missing for that particular CPU.

PS the manual say 45 60w it's a typing error in the bios that setting is actually 45 65 or default.

pet1700

You simply do not understand Thermal Margin.

"I just download amd Overdrive, its funny, in idle its about 69,9c in game 51c ....check the photo."

It actually is not funny, but rather accurate, because at idle your thermal margin should be higher, meaning your CPU is running cooler and has a larger gap of nearly 70c before hitting its maximum safe operating temperature.

Your CPU is running correctly, and running cool. 

Your system is working alright without problems per the information your provided.

ifixit

NO it's not, his cpu package is 59.1 degree's his core cpu temp is 10.1.. degree's CELCIUS

No where on planet earth are those CPU temps normal for a system with no stress/workload happening.

I don't know what your up to, but it's getting annoying.

warsun

No its clearly running hot.An for an APU it is near impossible to get temps of 45

c unless overclocked.I am not even joking.It again sounds like a program is running incorrectly or not compatible.Normally i do my own program cleaning.So here is my advice.Go to Bleepingcomputer.com download.An use in this order for Windows 10.Unchecky this prevents programs from installing extra stuff when installing any programs without your consent.

Then AdwCleaner then Junkware Removal Tool and it should tell you what was causing the problems an that it was removed.An if all else fails.You can start a Windows 7 or 8.1 version an install ComboFX.It wont work on Windows 10.Run that.Even if you are on the Window 7 account it will track down the persons hack an remove it from your system.So when you log back in you're back on your own account.Having 2 Partitions is actually pretty useful.

ifixit

Thank you for confirming that from another who knows APU's much appreciated.

IF he runs a discrete gpu and hasn't turned off the gpu on the motherboard bios that might also cause extra heating, and I never thought of your idea on stuff running in the background.. Good idea.

Still think he hasn't set it to be a 65w cpu in the bios, but as he hasn't replied we cannot tell. That would clearly do it, and if you look at his picture you can see it ramped up to 87w on the cpu.. cTDP controls the processors wattage specifications it's not applied automatically.. I almost positive as I had same issue with exact same motherboard.

dogf

Guys, i already set the thermal for 65w. In idle the cpu mantain 60/65c, in game, the temperature drops to 52/58c.

Bios alarms set to 70c and never sounds.

Using only the cpu gpu, for now.

I think thats ok for the system or not?

ifixit

Need to see a screen shot of what your looking at to quote those temps, as no it's backwards to me, cpu/gpu should be lower on idle and higher in gaming, somethings configured incorrectly  I think.

warsun

Sorry i`m back.I know this happened because i build a computer using that same processor in a MSI Gaming Motherboard.I had the same issue.Its easily fixed.Sorry i may have missed something.I just ran into a problem with my latest driver So i am recommending use a previous version of driver for your system.It could be driver related.Run the Uninstaller.Remove it an try again.Also if that didn't fix the issue it may be a program causing the issue Check what programs you have installed an see if any of them use OpenCandy.

warsun

Viruses are notable on AMD systems.The processors finds out right away an causes your system to heat up.So scan it for viruses or Trojan horses an just plain Malware.

dogf

Warsun,

Found this while googling, and really appears to be reasonable:

" The new AMD cpu's do not use the normal temperature signal they use the thermal margine and they did it because the bios in heavy loads is not reliable you need to download AMD overdrive from hear

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive

and what you need to know is that Thermal Margin indicates how far the current operating temperature is below the maximum operating temperature of the processor (72.40° C is for 7870k) your will see it drops while you stress test and rise while you stop. Lest say that your margin at 100% stress is 10 then your real temperature is 72.40 – 10 = 62,4 C you got it?"

Ive been using AMD Overdrive to check my apu tempture and for my surprise makes sense.

AMD OverDrive.jpg

Indicator shows the thermal margine.

Ifixit,

already set the tdp for 65W. Thanks a lot mate, same for the others that helped me.

hardcoregames™

i like malwarebytes which is free for manual scans

it's a good second opinion over the windows defender

Have you solved your problem? I am glad to hear your feedback. Anyway, I just wish you good luck!