20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2017 5:37 PM by kingfish

Does anyone experience screen flickering/TDR failures when using an RX 470 on Windows 10?

theenchantedwonder

I bought an XFX RX 470 back in September, and since then, this thing is still giving me problems. I get constant screen freezing, and screen flickering which can sometimes lead to a blue screen TDR failure, and forced to restart my PC. I'm always up to date on the latest drivers, and games well. This only happens when I'm in the file explorer, desktop, browsing the internet, and so on. When I'm gaming however, it doesn't seem to happen. The only problem I have is in GTA V, when textures take a while to load, buts that's the least of my worries. The freezes also happen when editing in Sony Vegas, and Photoshop. Seriously, trying to edit in Photoshop is hell.

Using Windows is virtually impossible without the video card having to reset every 10 seconds, and having the screen go black. The only way around this is going to the system advanced settings, and setting Windows for best performance under "Visual Appearance" instead of best appearance. This only reduces the problem by a bit. The only way to get around it completely is to go to the device manager, and disabling the card completely. 

Before the blue screen, I'll get a corrupted/snowy static looking screen, and the only thing that is visible is my mouse. However, it cannot be moved.

Before a screen freeze, I'm still able to move my mouse, but when hovering over buttons and windows, they cannot be activated. A few seconds later, it freezes, and the screen goes black. After the card resets, everything is normal until it happens once again.

I really hope AMD releases a fix for this. Patch notes say that they fixed it in the past for other cards, but not this one. I am also not the first one to experience this.