2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2017 12:59 PM by spikeypup

New RX 480 - sudden shut down

worldlife

Hello everyone,

I recently bought my new RX 480 and everything works fine except when i start "graphics heavy" games.
      It first happened when I played LoL ranked game on the highest settings. Everything works fine until it suddenly stops and shortly after a black screen appears and i get kicked out to the desktop.

The mouse icon stays the same (LoL-icon) and I can't click anything until I open the task manager and shut it down.
      The same thing happened to Skyrim Special Edition.
      On the highest settings (self setted by the game) it happens at the beginning during the introduction (sitting in the cart).
      Suddenly I get a black screen and shortly after I'm landing on my desktop and I have to shut it down too.
      I truly don't know why it is happening so I hope you guys can help me

Specs:
      i5-6600
      PowerColor RX480 8GB Red Dragon

ASRock Extreme 3 Z170
      16 GB HyperX DDR4 RAM Kingston HyperX 2133

• Re: New RX 480 - sudden shut down
          goodplay

A number of games will preset Max/ultra (does not mean your card will get good performance).

The 480 is not a high end card, read some games graphics tweak/settings/performance guides, and lower/adjust settings to suit each individual game.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: New RX 480 - sudden shut down
            spikeypup

Hi Worldlife,

Can you please send more information, a snapshot of your drivers would be a great start in diagnosing this issue, can you snip/screenshot the System--> Overview/Software/Hardware pages of Radeon Settings and reply with them?  See below for an example of the Hardware page (but please send all 3):

Also please include a snapshot of your Wattman settings by going to Gaming-->Global Settings-->Global Wattman Settings, and ensure you get all the settings sliders in there by going Fullscreen in the app and scrolling down all the way beyond the telemetry portion, see below for an example.

Out of curiosity did you also Overclock this card or are you using something like MSI Afterburner or ASUS GPUTweak or anything like that?  3rd Party apps don't play nicely with AMD Wattman and can cause conflicts in setup and ultimately the displayed telemetry from the card can be inaccurate, it can also lead to erratic performance of the GPU clock, memory clock, and fan/thermal systems.

It's best if possible that you only use wattman and have any other tools uninstalled, if you use MSI Afterburner ensure you reset all settings to default before uninstalling.  Once that is done you can use Wattman to achieve everything you need; no you can't set a fancy fan curve like in MSI Afterburner, but you can get close using the sloped RPM and Hysteresis functions of the Temp target mixed with the Fans, but typically they're best left on auto which are tuned to give you max cooling while maintaining lowest possible noise thresholds. 

If power is not a concern you can place your power limit higher or to the maximum, this allows the card to utilize more power when it needs to in order to maintain the GPU clock speed, Memory Clock, etc.  Also, in terms of overclocking, if you do have an overclock set on either the GPU or Memory or both, it's best to have wattman Reset to Defaults (upper right hand corner in the Wattman settings page) first before making any changes, and in fact it wouldn't hurt to do it after you uninstall any 3rd party apps, or now since you are having problems, you won't need to restart or anything like that, it'll just put everything at factory settings in the wattman page, other settings in Crimson will not be affected, this only resets Wattman stuff.

Once that is done, I would first raise your power limit to the maximum % allowable, again this doesn't increase the constant line power to the card, it simply allows the card to use more power when it needs to.  Again leave the fan controls and temp controls set to Auto.

If you desire to Overclock beyond the boost clock (please note Overclocking is done at your own risk & liability):

You can start by adjusting your GPU clock (don't adjust memory until you know the GPU is stable, otherwise you won't know what is causing the crashes!), your card features a 1266Mhz factory boost clock.  Depending on your ASIC quality index, or "Binning" quality (Silicon Lottery), you may be able to get much more Mhz out of it, or maybe just a little more.  You can check the ASIC quality by using GPU-Z.

In my experience Powercolor doesn't always use the best quality silicon so overclocking to a high degree may not be possible.  If you decide to try to overclock, do it starting in 15-20Mhz increments until you start crashing in a benchmark like firestrike from 3Dmark or timespy, or you can test with your favorite game or a Unigine bench, whatever it is, just run it at least 5-7 times in a row and run a few of them, so yes that means sometimes 20-30 benches to test a frequency.  So I go in 15-20mhz bumps, and test some very hard benches like Firestrike Extreme and some hard GPU OpenCL benches, just a few, if they go, then I bump it up some more, once I surpass 100Mhz,  I then go in 5mhz increments same thing until there is a crash, then you go back to the last 5Mhz bump, and test again, like I mentioned above where you are using 3-5 benchmarks and testing them 5-7 times each (including trying to run your games); if they all pass, you test more and more widely (different apps/benches), if it crashes, you go back down 5mhz more...you get the picture.  Once you reach a situation where the games you play are working, the benches aren't crashing, then you should be good to go.

Then once you have a stable GPU clock, you can try to overclock the memory, but unless you are gaming in 1440P or 4K, the gains from that may not be worthwhile in terms of if you have a high GPU overclock it will need more voltage, especially if the ASIC is not high quality, and if you are OC the memory, then it will need more voltage itself, and it may stress the VRM to the point where you'll end up starving the GPU of power it needs and it's definitely not worth it in that situation because your clocks will fluctuate and that's where you will get huge dips and lags in performance.  A stable and even clock is essential to maintaining constant framerate.

I have an Asus Strix ROG 8GB OC RX480, and I kinda lucked out and hit the silicon jackpot, but here is a picture of my overclock below.  My factory boost is 1310Mhz on the GPU and 2000Mhz on the memory just like yours, it's pretty standard across the RX480 line.  Also note that I have manually adjusted my temps and fans for particular use cases, I still recommend the auto settings for you or anybody else.

I DO NOT SUGGEST you try to hit something like this off the bat, you have to perform the steps like I said above, the STRIX ROG line is probably one of the best you can get from the VRM to the binned ASIC's and they are designed to go far and be pushed to the limit, you must see what yours is capable of by slowing working it up, I just wanted to show you what it looks like when you are configuring it.

Good luck! Hopefully you can get this resolved.  Please forward on the pics I requested so we have a better, pardon the pun, picture of what is happening.  Thanks!

Spikeypup