5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2017 3:11 PM by darkwolfca

True budget gaming rig with the RX460

red5

I'm writing this because I've seen AMD touting a bunch of budget builds out there, specifically by PC Perspective. What bugs me about this is twofold. They don't include the cost of an operating system, and their price point is still a good chunk of change. Several hundred dollars.

I believe we owe it to the community to propose a TRUE budget build centered around the RX460.  My example that I personally own multiple of is a Dell Optiplex 7010 workstation with a Core i5 2400, 8 gigs of RAM, XFX RX 460 4GB.

You can find these and similar workstations refurbished on Ebay for about $150 plus shipping, and they usually include a Windows 7 Pro license.  Add in the roughly $110 for an RX460 and you have a machine that is just as capable, includes a licensed OS, and for half the price.  The RX460 just isn't powerful enough to need anything more than an i5 2400 or possibly similar Ivy Bridge processor.  I wish I could advise you to buy an AMD workstation, but frankly they aren't out there. At least we can use the RX 460.

This setup will run Overwatch on high at 1080 at over 60 fps with no problem.

I know PC Perspective is out there pushing parts onto people, but we as the community need to take care of our own and give them better and cheaper options.

• Re: True budget gaming rig with the RX460
          darkwolfca

a build as you recommended is a great little starting build for someone I personally did one close to that for my nephews 1st computer it has a i5 2400, 16gb ddr3 1600, asus strix rx 460 4gb, and windows 10 from the free upgrade of 7 I used parts/ OS I had from before just sitting around but it's a great little build for most games, they do have a few hiccups trying to play gta 5 with it but that's expected. 

red5

And that system will honestly still game just fine for a while. In the meantime the person can save up for a better system and repurpose the RX460 in that build. Some people want to just try out PC gaming and see if it's for them.  $550 (+operating system) is just too expensive for most folks who just want to try out PC gaming.  $250 is more realistic in my opinion. 

darkwolfca

yeah it games fine for them I think the reason that the build don't put the os in them is cause beside putting it over the  dollar amount lol, you can always get a OEM copy  from like g2a or kinguin just a lot of people don't know about it. though it is OEM not reatail.

red5

Since I'm a Microsoft Partner I try to not mention alternative ways to obtain an operating system.i don't think those are sanctioned resellers by Microsoft. LOL

I'm fully aware of what people end up doing. I just don't want to mention it myself. I do however wish there were more people out there giving true budget options versus just slinging parts for companies. Way too many 'paid' reviewers out there, and if I know one thing about money is that it corrupts and people will do anything to obtain and keep it. I don't know how you can expect any honesty out of people whose day job it is to basically sell parts for the companies they are reviewing.

darkwolfca

of course I personally prefer a retail copy from the store myself because then is much better support on it and can upgrade stuff later   & get what your saying about the paid reviewers,  like I said they setup you stated will work great for a while still and you may even be able to find a 4th gen intel dell or hp etc used for around $250ish which would be even better and last longer. now as far as an all brand new not really sure you could do under $500 realistically unless your doing a APU build and even then it's still $350ish plus but that would be for the people that hate to  buy used parts.