4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2017 10:34 AM by kingfish

AMD A10-8700P APU Driver Screen Freeze

tristin

Hello, I was hoping you could help me with this. I bought a laptop with an AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6 Graphics APU back in august.

Laptop: ASUS

Operating System: Windows 10 (Latest Update)

Processor: AMD Quad Core A10-8700P 1.8GHz (Turbo to 3.2GHz)

Memory: 8GB DDR3 on board

Video Graphics: AMD Radeon R6 Graphics

Hard Drive: 1TB 5400 RPM

Optical Drive: DVDRW

Display: 15.6” LED Backlit (1366 * 768)

Webcam: VGA Camera

Wireless: 802.11b/g/n

Bluetooth 4.0

Card Reader: SD

Keyboard: Chiclet

Interface: 1x VGA; 1x HDMI; 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0

LAN: 10/100/1000Mb

So here's my problem; I downloaded the auto-detect utility from AMD installed the most recent driver and it worked fine. I then Updated the driver a few months later, but then, the screen seemed to turn off and  Froze during installation, Luckily  I created a system restore point, put in Windows 10 64 Disk booted to advance troubleshooting restored to restore point. After that not even the Radeon Graphic Settings would work. So, I kept it at the working driver until today. Today I installed the Latest driver as it said in the release notes under fixed "Some system configurations may experience a black screen after installing Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Editions 16.12.1 and later." Nice, installed the driver with the non web installer nothing happened. Checked device manager driver was still at v15 or something instead of v17.1.1. Alright, so I clicked update driver automatically, didn't find any on my laptop found one online downloaded and installed then, right in the middle of the installation the screen freeze came back.

How do I fix this? Do I need a later BIOS Update? Is it a problem with my Registry Settings? Any Help is much appreciated.

• Re: AMD A10-8700P APU Driver Screen Freeze
          w01f94n9

I have the same laptop (x555da  - same specs and everything). When I purchased it, it came with an old version of control catalyst and some older amd radeon r6 drivers. So I updated to crimson relive and during installation, my screen went completely black. No response or anything. I then shut down the system, and when i turned it back on, it was stuck on a black booting screen and i waited for an hour before giving up. I then entered into system recovery and managed to boot into safemode restore from restore point from there. I then deleted everything that was left, and installed the Crimson Software Edition divers (16.2). The reason i chose this is because on relive, it clearly states that mobile APUs with the name "carrizo" are only compatible with crimson and not relive. After doing this, for me the drivers are fine. But i too want to know if i can update to relive as i want to get the most out of my gpu and wanna overcome this black screen effect.

Radeon Software Version - 16.2

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R6 Graphics

Memory Size - 512 MB

Memory Type - DDR3

Core Clock - 626 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10

System Memory - 8 GB

CPU Type - AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G