4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2017 7:29 AM by geminiengine

Windows 10 update might break RX 460

geminiengine

System:

Mobo: GA-770t-USB3

CPU: FX-8350

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

GPU: PowerColor RED DRAGON Radeon RX 460 2GB (crimson v16.8.2)

Main Monitor/TV: Sharp Aquos LC-37HV6U (DVI only)

Test Monitor/TV: Vizio VOJ320F1A (HDMI only)

Notes: Mobo/CPU/Ram/GPU all less than 6 months old. Main/Test Monitors are ... old. At anypoint where the monitor displays an error message I can still shutdown properly using the case power button.

#Issues and attempted fixes in chronological order#

System worked and played all my games with out issues. Crimson Driver "v16.8.2". Let MS update my Windows 10 x64 to build 1607.

Home from work, graphics shot. Highest resolution available was 1024x768. Radeon setting panel present in systray but unresponsive.

Used amdcleanuputility.exe, gave me back access to 1366x768 resolution.

Re/installed AMD drivers, v16.12.2, v17.1.1, & v16.8.2 (last known working driver), while using amdcleanuputility.exe in between each. All ended up causing issues with my monitor, boots normally to the Win10 "spinning dots" loading screen and then when the login screen should show, the monitor displays "out of range".

Re/installed AMD drivers, v16.12.2, v17.1.1, & v16.8.2, while using DDU in between each. All ended up causing issues with my monitor, boots normally to the Win10 "spinning dots" loading screen and then when the login screen should show, the monitor displays "out of range".

The error message "out of range", typically means too high of a refresh rate but can include too high of a resolution. But as I can not actually use/access the system, I am unable to confirm either or make changes.

Connected test monitor, using HDMI cable. The tower posts, I can access boot options, but anything resembling Windows does not show up.

Reconnect main monitor, 1920x1080 resolution available, monitor cannot do it, I know it. I clicked it anyway. The effect still looks cool. But, 1366x768 is now no longer available. Rebooted and 1920x1080 is gone, and 1366x768 is back.

I am starting to lean towards my GPU is shot? GPU is not overheating, I have it set to 100% fan speed at 50c, my logging says it never gets over 56c.

Suggestion, directions, ideas?