6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 7:49 AM by progshatefreedom

Can I Test My GPU?

progshatefreedom

I am attempting a reinstallation of Windows 7, and I continue to have errors: ACPI.sys is indicated as the driver that refuses to load properly before BSOD.  I also get the identical error when attempting to boot to a Windows XP disk.  I can, however, boot into a Linux environment on USB.  During the boot process, the DOS line indicates an error with the Radeon graphics: "ERROR - UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU... Giving Up".

I ran all of the onboard hardware diagnostics (HP BIOS), and all tests passed.  I ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, on full burn in, which passed.  I am pretty sure that the graphics portion of that test only tests the integrated graphics on the CPU, though, and not my graphics card or its memory.  The test did, however, identify my GPU correctly.

My next step is to attempt to specifically diagnose my motherboard and GPU, but I have no idea where to find the proper tools to do this.  Also, these tools will apparently have to be able to run from a bootable USB, as I cannot boot into Windows right now.  I have been without my computer now for over three months     Any help will be greatly appreciated.

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook, Intel i7 (2nd gen), Radeon HD 6770M (with 2GB mem, I think)