1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2017 7:13 AM by kahless_uk

RX 480 Low FPS

elchardo

Receiving unusually low fps in most games, for example in GTA V receiving consistent 30 fps with constant dips into 20 on max settings. Receiving low fps in Dishonored 2, Total War Attila and The Witcher 3 as well.

System Configuration:

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A99X EVO R2.0 (Socket 942)

CPU:  AMD FX-8350

Memory: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz

GPU: 8192MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 480

Driver: 16.12.2

Display: ASUS VS247 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Really out of my depth here and would appreciate any help!

• Re: RX 480 Low FPS
          kahless_uk

GTA V's vsync is double buffered and since it's hugely CPU bound on AMD CPUs any time the framerate dips below 60 it will cut it to 30 (which will be most of the time).

The only fix I found for this is to disable vsync, do a 360 turn in game and then re-enable vsync, this should let you play at framerates over 30 but wont stop it being CPU bound so much that 60fps suddenly becomes possible (the average I get with similar hardware to you is around 45fps).

I can't speak for the other games but I do know that Total War is CPU bound a lot of the time too and the others probably also suffer with this, if they're DX11 they can only really use 1 of your 8 CPU cores for rendering (possibly 2) and that's not where the FX CPUs shine, you could try forcing triple buffering with D3DOverrider or RadeonPro if they are DX11 which might help.