7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2017 10:21 PM by black_zion

Cannot post because of "offensive langauge" although NO OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE IS EVEN REMOTELY IN THE POST!

nec_v20

What do you consider to be "Offensive Language"??

Yes I can understand things like swearwords, but with regard to what I want to post it seems to be the equivalent of the search engine "Scunthorpe" problem.

EDIT:

I found the "offending" word and it was "b*ng" (put a "u" in where the asterisk is)

Seriously??

Since when is that word offensive??

I would really like to know where the usage of that word has EVER been used offensively - I cannot think of even one.

What detrimental connotation does that word have that I have been totally unaware of for the past five and a half decades??

• Re: Cannot post because of "offensive langauge" although NO OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE IS EVEN REMOTELY IN THE POST!
          ray_m

The dictionary of offensive words is provided by the platform, not AMD.

On a related note the word B*NG with an appropriate follow up word can be considered offensive.

• Re: Cannot post because of "offensive langauge" although NO OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE IS EVEN REMOTELY IN THE POST!
              nec_v20

It is a big deal when I am going potty trying to find out which word or phrase could possibly be offensive.

First of all I spent about 20 minutes to half an hour swapping out phraseology which could be misinterpreted as offensive - result no joy.

I then re-read the whole post at least ten times (probably nearer to a baker's dozen of times) and I still could not see it; that wasted another three quarters of an hour of my life - result no joy

Then I got bloody angry and started deleting words which could be, for whatever reason, considered outré. It was in the middle of this process with the best part of another hour of my time wasted that I lost the rag and posted what I wrote above.

Eventually by the process of elimination I finally found the word that some "bright spark" decided to consider to be offensive which (and I am now in my mid fifties) I have NEVER come across in any kind of offensive connotation.

Well that is not true, I suppose that some so-called "Computer Journalists" could be offended by the word because of their propensity of giving favourable reviews to games or hardware when the producer of said items has invested in advertisements on the site or in the magazine (or just with some readies in a brown envelope). i.e. they are taking a b*ng.

And with regard to the "follow up word" it is not a follow up word it is one word which could at a stretch be used offensively but does have a legitimate meaning "an aperture through which a cask can be filled or emptied" and that brings us back to Scunthorpe.

ray_m

I once had the same issue trying to post a troubleshooting article. In the end I had to post, paragraph by paragraph until I identified the 'offending' word, so I feel your pain.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      nec_v20

It might interest you to know that as erstwhile Senior German Engineer for Enterprise Disaster Recovery Tech-Support, I am in the process of writing a post which will be the definitive guide to troubleshooting and will include a thirty second (yes that's all it takes) tutorial which will make the reader more knowledgeable about troubleshooting than over 90% of those working as "professionals" will ever know.

My qualification for doing so?

Out of over 17,000 individual Enterprise cases/escalations I failed to resolve exactly 223 (I don't count kludges or workarounds as resolutions).

What is unique about me with regard to anyone else you may ever have encountered in the business is that at one point for two days I had ZERO OPEN CASES in my docket.

My first call fix record was at well over 70% and in over 95% of cases I didn't even need to touch our stuff to get the problems resolved - so I was sorting other companies messes.

A German trade magazine rated my group within the company at a whopping 90% approval (whereas the likes of Microsoft Second Line Enterprise was at around 21%) with the only downside being the waiting time to get through to my group (got a 10% deduction for that).

My record number of fixes in one day was 49 (never did crack the 50) and was usually in the high thirties whereas the contemporaries in other lines in the company thought they were good when they managed 12 to 15 cases per day (and that did not involve cases sorted but rather calls taken).

My boys (and my girls were also my boys) who were trained by me in my own unique fashion and not the company in my department were not far behind this example and still way beyond probably anything you have ever known or experienced.

ambrose

Hello,

I had this happen to me once and the Forum spell-checker/editor is touchy, All one can do is re-read the post and try to think like it does no matter how absurd it may seem. As to your bewilderment it may have seen your word as that childhood game we all played while pointing a finger at a play friend and making the sound of a gun. As I said has happened to me as well no biggie, but can be a thorn in the side for posting.

Cheers, Ambrose

1 of 1 people found this helpful