0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 6:47 AM by gordonts

Erratic fan behavior on the RX 480

gordonts

I recently received an RX 480 as a Christmas gift. It was my first ever upgrade to this system in about 3 years -- needless to say I'm extremely thrilled about the performance and applaud AMD for what they've accomplished in the GPU front, but there are things that I'm experiencing that are less-than-stellar.

When playing games, my fan's RPM (per HWMonitor) remains at 370 -- and doesn't go any higher than that. At seemingly random intervals, the RPM will sometimes outright drop to 0, with the cause being Radeon's WattMan (I have no OC in place on this card, I use WattMan for monitoring purposes only) because it only seems to drop to 0 RPM upon entering WattMan or fiddling with the fan settings there.

I've set up a fan curve in MSI Afterburner, but I've found that to be a bit flaky as well. Just this morning my fan speed was at it's maximum when I left my PC locked, with a GPU temp of just 34c. Going into Wattman dropped it to 0 RPM, and I had to restart my PC to get it started again.

There is also the fact that my GPU's VIN0 voltage is appearing as a ludicrously high number in HWMonitor, such as 600,000v -- this happens sometimes out of nowhere: http://puu.sh/toQjk.png

I'm not sure what's causing all of this, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be delighted. Performance on the card is extremely stable, with no issues, artifacts, lock-ups, or shutdowns -- there's nothing else acting up besides the fan, and it appears to be a software issue.

Thanks!

Specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 980

GPU: Powercolor Red Dragon Radeon RX 480

RAM: Corsair 8 GB 1333 MHZ

PSU: Rosewill RP600-V2-S-SL 600W