29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 8:27 PM by hardcoregames™

AMD A6-9210 Radeon R4 - High CPU Usage Ongoing

zaz

Hi

I didn't have a great computer before, so didn't realize anything was wrong.

I have a HP Pavilion with the titled CPU. Using Windows 10 Home edition.

It's 2 core, 64 bit, touch screen, desktop computer. 3 months old.

My CPU seems to run high repeatedly. Near 100% with Chrome, video playing.

I've tried to disable some Windows 10 features but it doesn't seem to help.

Any tips on what it could be? Is it faulty or is it normal for these specs?

Generally very clean computer, used for work, I have programs, but manage the usage.

I close some programs so they don't interfere with each other.

Message was edited by: Jonah Ink

• Re: AMD A6-9210 Radeon R4 - High CPU Usage Ongoing
          dragwar

Hi, I think that is normal when you run a browser and video, moreover if you open multiple tabs and quality of video you play. and considering the model and number of cores your cpu has i think its pretty normal

black_zion

If it just happens with Chrome, then it's a problem with Chrome.

zaz

Black_Zion and DragWar: thanks for your replies, I sincerely appreciate the help!

I spent time testing 32 bit chrome, and trying a different driver for the CPU and reinstalled the Radeon driver. I tried various combinations and some other things. no obvious changes. In the end, after resetting my CPU driver, restoring the settings, turning windows defender back on and closing Kaspersky, there is undeniably some improvement.

I managed to watch a video and play a small game along side it, same game, online poker, running at high 80s approximately. Generally though, I think in regular use there is notable improvement. Not great still and disappointing. I thought I'd get more for the money, but at least a bit better.

I'll try look up if there's anyway to test a CPU to check that it is running as expected?

Hello zaz,

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A6-Series%20A6-9210.html , from this link you might find the information on your processor. It is a processor designed for ultra mobile platform, based on Bulldozer, a water testing processor provided for replacement of Puma core based processors. Its processor side power is very limited, one could never expect it for too much. Without evaluating additional accelerations such as AES and so forth, its performance would be poorer than A4-3300. But I would not think that is the reason simple applications would eat up all your processor's power. Would please take a look at the task manager, to find which application(s) consume your processor's time? I guess that might be caused by the process, System Interrupts. If so, just disable the Turbo Core feature under firmware. Or contact with HP for further solution.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

zaz

Thanks for writing!

I actually did some comparisons before I bought it of the CPU specifically and it rated quite well against similar range Intel. Actually, in the price range it even ranked better in testing than other more expensive Intel CPUs which cost more. At least on the CPU comparison sites.

Often the windows 10 functions are near the top, probably more than they should be. Normally Chrome if i'm using it, but otherwise, Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation, System and Compressed Memory, maybe 1 or 2 others. Removing Kaspersky really helped, gave me about 10% CPU back, when it was otherwise near 100%.

zaz

My pleasure. Thank you very much for your involvement.

I will be back hopefully at the end of this week to run the test. Sorry about the delay. I was busy this week. I'll be back. setting a reminder now.

zaz

hey, I read some of your posts that you pasted to me. It's a bit too technical for me I' sorry to say. I downloaded an h265 video and played it, the swiss alps it was, but I don't know about testing while it's playing. If there's some site I can click "test" I'm willing to do it. I just don't really know how to run the test you mention.

Sorry, I removed that reply yesterday, because I do not want to be that selfish. Initially, I was very interested in your processor, because it is based the latest AMD Bulldozer core. But right now I do not want to be drowned onto the performance of each processor core. Your processor is excellent for its integrated GPU core, for it is equipped with hardware H265 decoder, you do not need to download software H265 decoder anymore. Maybe the Media Player Home Cinema could utilise that hardware decoder directly. Anyway, thank you very much!

ifixit

If you use the performance utility built into windows, by opening control panel and opening administrative tools, (remember to click large icons to get everything showing) you can diagnose it down yourself pretty easy.

Task manager open startup

you can see how many programs start at boot and delete some if there's a lot of them, go to a site like blackvipers (search blackviper in google) and tweak your services to your needs it will shut down unessesary services starting.

Run a good malware util like adaware, to eliminate stuff that creeps in via the internet hogging system resources.

Check the bing toolbar etc is not loading inchrome. programs and feature in control panel, delete stuff you do not need.

USB stick?  get a fast one and plenty of space and readyboost it, it may help your pc's performance, if not try it.

all I can think of off the top of my head mate.

warsun

Dude.Just take the Laptop back.Ill help you.Here is what you need to be looking for.When getting a laptop always look for VRam.Find out what VRam the system uses an how much.When you get a laptop they normally do not tell you they have VRam you have to either ask or it is posted.When you find a laptop with 2GB of VRam.Its OK.Maybe average 30fps in all games.You find one with 4GB of VRam 45fps in all games.This is as cheap as i will go.You can find custom laptops on some sites.It takes a while of diffing.Like finding that weird area on YouTube.

But once you find the laptops you will get proper performance.Never buy laptops with no Vram.They have been very poor performance.

For those saying how do i know this.I was trying to get AMD to address this issue in a driver update.But allowing the user through the laptop BIOS to access FORCE memory and GPU Profiles from 214,400,500,700,900 to 1000MHz on the GPU an from 512 all the way up to 6GB of DDR3 of their motherboard ram like the APUs you find on desktops.But Once again.My ideas where not supported.This would have meant that even laptops in Pawnshops would instantly turn into Gaming Laptops.Even the E1 laptops would become gaming laptops. By the way Only get 4 cores.Hang on let me look real quick.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Touchscreen-Flagship-Quad-Core-A10-9600P/dp/B01MRX6JCE/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1486438683&…

Notice it says Dedicated graphics.You are gonna be looking for that.Try this search.

xeleron

Your ideas are not supported  because you are not informed properly.Vram does not affect performance the way you say it does.The highest APUs available at the moment have the GPU grunt somewhere around the r7 250 range, specifically the ddr3 model.The GPU comes in two variations, with ddr3 and Gddr5,the later one being much more powerful, due to the fact that the memory bandwidth is theoretically double (but in many cases it is more). As for the memory quantity, considering the same memory type, it becomes a problem only when the GPU is under memory pressure,that is when it is running titles at high resolutions and with high graphics settings,why do you think there is such a performance difference between lets say an r7 380 4 gb and an rx 480 also with 4 gb if both have 4 gb of Vram?What about a Fury card with HBM?They are all 4 gb limited by design,yet they outperform many GPUs that have much more Vram.Also,there is no such thing as a laptop without Vram,every GPU has either a very small amount of dedicated vram (Intel HD graphics reserve 8 mb regardless of settings) or they map system ram as exclusive.Also, with current APU and video driver architectures, GPUs, dedicated or not,will use system ram when pushed (look at the gtx 970 fiasco).

warsun

Dude.I made the APU.The heck are you talking about? The way i explained it is exactly how it works.Do you think Jim Keller just invents this stuff.That's me.I tell him what i want an he makes it.i`ve been doing this since the 90s.Well anyway my point stands.

ifixit

A gpu with dedicated Vram is far better than any GPU with shared memory.. I am not going to waffle on that's just how it is. IF you play world of Warcraft, well your not really going to see that much difference, if you want to play BF1, Cod or and newish FPS game shared gpu/cpu memory will run, but pretty low fps.

Warsun is correct, but a little to adamant on his either or it'll be crap, taking the laptop back, bit drastic.. he likely will not be able to exchange it, and if he did he'd need to comply with his countries consumer laws, we all know how that's going these days. baaaaaaadly.

xeleron

The fastest APU on the market is faster than any r7 240,regardless of memory size.

warsun

The point is.You probably wont get your money buy.You can start a sellers account on Amazon an sell the Laptop.I got almost full price back.I sold it as new-Used an got almost all my money back.it was still under warranty.That memory issue is a big issue.Depending on what BIOS is in that Laptop-Notebook.You cant change the ram around.You cant make any adjustments.As a gift its a gift.But anyone with a laptop is going to play games.An you don't want to say.Well i couldnt find a better one.They are out there.Its just they are not worth near what they are asking.

You get a laptop for $399 thinking you got a great laptop an find out you cant get more than 25fps on any game.Then you read dedicated ram.Some laptops you cant open an replace ram.So you are stuck with that laptop.I am being blunt.Either return it or just flat out sell it.I have been through this with the 6410 It was not worth it.

ifixit

Could he not look at external gpu? usb3? or thunderbolt ports?.. if so I think a few external gpu's are available these days too. His budget just may not cope with a gaming laptop was all I was thinking the price difference between what he has now and a good gaming gpu would be vast.

zaz

Really fascinating stuff. I didn't realize the computer wasn't good. I naively compared the CPU to some Intel CPU which cost more and it seemed a good price, but I didn't know the above specifics.

Recently, using a 6+ year old laptop, scrolling through Facebook is better on the old laptop which seems to flow smoothly and my current computer does now.

I don't play games, but need to be able to run multiple "lightweight" applications for work simultaneously. VoIP. Skype, LiveChat, Multiple Chrome browsers, Outlook, Evernote, ... I can't even run antivirus: that's what save me if turning that off, for the most part.

Is the PC bad as what you described? JB Hi-Fi | HP Pavilion 24-B014A 24" All-in-One Touchscreen PC

I think that's actually the computer that I bought. With additional warranty. It is still new, very well treated, 3 months old... Maybe I didn't spend enough, but seemed an alternative to tower with a monitor.

hardcoregames™

The 64-bit beta of Chrome works a lot better than the old 32-bit one which has been choking with memory for a while. I suggest everyone have at least 4GB of memory now for a browser so that it has room to work with modern web content.

The AMD A6-9210 is low end but with enough RAM it can handle the 64-bit version of Chrome easily.