47 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2017 9:37 AM by baseten

RX 460 crash (black screen)

nihal

So, I put a new system together in December, yet I can't use it properly due a serious issue with my RX 460: It randomly crashes even on idle, freezing my system.

I did nearly everything possible and managed to extend the original window of time it took to crash after booting from 5min-45min to 5min-72h. I'm using two displays, one connected to the RX and the 2nd to the motherboard, using the i5 internal graphics to see what happens during the crash: The RX display turns black, the iGPU display remains active and I can see Windows frozen there.

I'm nearly certain it's a software issue. I believe I managed to survive a crash for the first time after stopping the AMD External Events Utility. For the first time the RX display turned black, but my system has not frozen and I saw the RX clock rise to 1212 MHz and the memory clock alternate between 300 MHz and 1750 MHz, and that's idling. It spent quite some time like this, then reduced the clocks back to normal levels, resurrecting the display connected to it. I can provide HWiNFO logs of the incident if needed.

Relevant information: When I normally crash I need to shut down the computer to force the RX to be detected again. If I only push the reset button when using the RX alone my system beeps for no video card. When I have the iGPU enabled upon reset I can get to BIOS and Windows, and the RX isn't detected.

Nothing wrong appears in my event logs when I crash. Before stopping the service the HWiNFO log wouldn't show anything abnormal either upon crashing, only without the service it managed to log the abnormal clock speeds. My temperatures are always good. The system never crashes when I disable the RX and use only the iGPU.

My system:

Gigabyte GA-H170N-Wifi

Intel i5 6600

Corsair 16GB DDR4 RAM

PowerColor RX 460 4GB

Corsair CX430

Windows 8.1 64bit

What I already tried and failed:

- Updated my chipset.

- Updated my Windows.

- Used the DDU Tool every driver I tried.

- Did a Windows 10 fresh install, updated it and installed the drivers manually.

- Tried the drivers 16.12.2, 16.12.1, 16.9.1, 16.7.2, always using the full package and uninstalling between each try.

- Cleared CMOS.

- Reflashed my BIOS. It's UEFI F4 (I can't update it to the F20, it can brick Skylakes).

- Took the RX off the slot and resat it a couple of times.

- Tried it without the iGPU enabled (obviously).

• Re: RX 460 crash (black screen)
          nihal

Update: It took longer, but it crashed with the service disabled. The GPU clock went boinks a couple of times again before that.

I also tried the 16.11.5 driver now, which of course crashed.

Ideas? As it is that AMD GPU has turned my computer in an expensive paperweight.

arcticwind

Test the GPU in another system to see if you get the same issues.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  nihal

The other system I have lacks some parts and is very outdated—still a 2 Quad, mind you.

I'm running the RX without any drivers at the moment since I last did it weeks ago, before a couple of Intel drivers new updates. I'll leave it alone until it crashes (it won't) or tonight; meanwhile I'll try to frankestein a second system to try the RX. I'm also waiting Gigabyte answer my ticket, with luck they'll have a safe BIOS update for me.

nihal

I left the GPU running without drivers until the night (12 hours, no crash), then installed it in the other system—which you can call "scrap heap":

2nd system specs:

Asus P5G41T-M LX2/BR

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400

Corsair 4GB DDR2 RAM

PowerColor RX 460 4GB (using 16.12.2)

PSU SevenTeam ST450P-GC

Windows 10 64bit

It runs hot and it's only getting PCIe gen1 speed because the chipset drivers aren't fully compatible with Wi10. I'm not sure if I'll get any useful information out of it, ideally the 2nd system should be closer to mine to change less variables in the tests. It ran for 12h without crashing, while 85% of the crashes happen between 1h-4h uptime.

Edit: So the scrap system didn't crash. Better, it gave me an idea. There's one thing I can easily reproduce in my own: The PCIe gen1 speed.

It turns out that a bad motherboard PCI lane or a faulty CPU's PCI controller main symptom is erratic GPU drivers behaviour. I'd never guessed this. Once you lower the PCIe speed the system stabilizes, and that seems the case here, my system is up for 8 hours. I'll leave it up for 72 just to be sure, and RMA the mobo and CPU if that happens. So, thank you!

kingfish

Have you reported it to AMD?

AMD Issue Reporting Form

hardcoregames™

If you use a video card, do not use the integrated video with Intel processors. They do not work properly like AMD hybrid graphics.

If you want to operate multiple panels use a card with enough ports

nihal

I know, but the RX crashes without the iGPU. Disabling it doesn't prevent the crash, it just leaves me literally in the dark when it happens.There is no point in connecting both displays to the RX since they both turn black when the RX crashes. Connecting to one the iGPU leaves one display up when the RX crashes, allowing me to see what happened to the Windows during the crash. I'm not connecting it to the iGPU because "I don't have enough ports", I'm doing this to diagnose the issue.

That said it appears to be an issue with the motherboard PCIe lane or the CPU PCI controller. The symptoms are exactly the ones I have (erratic dedicated GPU drivers and no temperature or load correlation to the issue), and I'm confirming it right now by having set the PCIe slot to gen1. 11 hours without crash so far, and I'll leave it for full 72h to make sure.

nat2x

I have the same card and have similar problems with random crashing it makes me regret a bit lol.

after several attempts to fix the problem. the last step seems to have stopped the random crashing which is to disable ReLive with version 16.12.2.

I will try the 17.1.1 later to see if I can use ReLive without problems.

nihal

Oh, I've been skipping installing ReLive for ages. I tried with and without it, nothing helped.

So far the only thing that stabilized my system better was to lower the PCIe speed. I'll do my best to enable the gen3 speed on my 2nd system to see if the card crashes running at this speed there. Only then I'll have a surer indication whether the card or the mobo/cpu kit is faulty.

ptrlhd

I had the similar problem with my Gigabyte RX460 and i ended up sending it back and replacing it for a new one. This one had the same issue but it was more stable and i found a way to "fix" the crashes by selecting a "Custom Install" in Drivers setup and only installed "Display Drivers" without any additional software like relive and stuff like that. I`m using 16.12.1 version so try with that one(this one is the only that worked for me so far). Now i can game with almost no problems but sometimes screen goes black while in game and after waiting for a few seconds i receve a notificarion that radeon software stopped wotking but i can alt+tab back in game and continue playing. Good Luck and let me know if this helped you.

nihal

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately I tried this already. For a long time I thought it were drivers' fault alone and tried many drivers in many installation combinations to find something that worked. Even now I keep skipping installing ReLive to not bloat an already malfunctioning driver.

Then I tried that card in particular in a 2nd system and it didn't crash, making me inclined to believe that the drivers making my Windows hang is just a symptom of issue, not the cause. I'm still investigating if whether it's a faulty card or a faulty mobo/cpu kit.

nat2x

another thing I tried is to downclock the GPU via wattman along with disabling the ReLive. haven't got time to try the new drivers yet but so far I haven't experienced any crash. IDK if its because of the downclock or with ReLive disabled but doing both seems to do the trick for me.

saml84

In the Crimson Relive interface,"Global settings", turn on "Power efficiency". If your card draws its power from the pci-e port, it should not exceed 75w, but the AMD driver does some automatic overcloking  (stupid) and consequences of this is Windows blockning the driver.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      nihal

This is... one thing I didn't know. My card draws power exclusively from the PCIe, so that might be causing the issue, since the card never crashes without the driver and everything. I'll try this after finishing another stability test, thank you for the information!

hardcoregames™

Check top be sure the PCI Express power cable is properly connected to the video card. I have seen many times where these were never connected.

My Asus HD 7870 has red LED indicators that turn green when the PCI Express cables are connected.

saml84

The reference design of the rx460 and his specific version draws its power directly from the pci-e port.

nihal

Yeah, mine is powered by PCIe slot alone.

I tried the Power Efficiency setting but unfortunately crashed. I've been reviewing all the data I collected these days and noticed a couple of interesting things: Sometimes I get D3D spikes for no reason, as the card is idling at the time. When using Power Efficiency they happened right before crashing, in 3 out of 3 tests.

When set to gen1 the card never cranks the D3D up for no reason.

Also, in Radeon Settings when using it at gen3 speed @ x16 slot I get a current a Current Bus Settings of x8. I'll check my BIOS settings in an hour to make sure nothing is stealing my PCI lane and see if I find another x16 slot to try the card, but the interesting part is that when I set the PCIe to gen1 the Current Bus Settings reports "Not Available".

nihal

I tested the card in another motherboard, one with a PCIe 1.1 @ x16. The card also runs at x8 there, and show no settings for the bus at the Radeon panel. Meanwhile I found nothing in my BIOS that could be affecting my bus size, and I moved my SSD to a different SATA slot just to be sure, since the slot I was using is shared with the M.2, which in turn shared the x16 PCIe lane when in use (it isn't).

Do you think the odd PCI bus speed could be connected to the issue?

P.s.: The x16 slot is the main and single PCIe slot in both systems.

hardcoregames™

for cards that lack PCI Express power cable, those cards are possibly too demanding for some poorly designed motherboards.

it's also the reason some boards are now wanting dual EPS12V cables to feed them

nihal

That could be the issue, but besides being a fairly decent motherboard I'd see something wrong when in full load, wouldn't I? If the motherboard was so bad, I wouldn't be able to use the card in full load. That's the puzzling aspect.

I have yet to crash when in full load. I do crash in idle—when the card's chip power barely goes over 15W—instead. It used 38W at worst when gaming (GPU VRM Power out of 72W), and the PCIe offers 75W. That's the standard, I find it hard to believe they'd putting out boards operating outside the standards.

ptrlhd

Also underclocking it down to 1000Mhz worked too for me but it started crashing after some time. You need to do 1000 or less for card to be stable. Give it a try with that.

shaoaz

Did you try undervolting with and without underclocking?

I've noted that those issues are often linked with the fact the card has more VRAM to feed therefor tend to sip more power than it should because of vendors overclocking / Bad ASIIC, knowing how GCN really doesn't scale too well the more power given to it, but undervolt fairly well, most user with the 2GB version don't have issues.

Noticing how most ASUS cards of the RX 460 all have PCIe connectors, this is likely because they knew about that slight power issue while addressing the PCIe x8 speed controversy, this card is designed to run in x8 mode as it is listed in technical specifications.

struhanka

P1 P2 states need more mv, default is for my rx 460 gigabyte 2gb P1-821mv, p2-825mv .

I set it to P1-840mv, P2-870mv and now card is stable.

epa1vz

Has anyone found a way to resolve this issue yet? I recently built a system with 2x rx460 oc 4gig strix edition gpu and I installed the drivers from  the Disc (16.3) and downloaded from the site (16.5). A few minutes after start up I get the black screen issue. Is this issue resolved in later drivers? All forums I have read have no solid solutions!  Please AMD assistance would be appreciated.

baseten

I had the same problem after upgrading my motherboard and I managed to resolve it using the information here, so thanks. Here's what I did.

Video card: Powercolor RX460 2GB; monitor connected on HDMI

Old Motherboard: MSI MS-7345 Ver:1.2 P35 Neo2; Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz; 4GB Patriot DDR2 RAM

New Motherboard: Intel H110M-A M.2; Pentium G4560 3.5GHz; 8GB Crucial DD4R4 RAM

[ I installed the latest (17.7.2) Radeon drivers for the video card ]

The machine dual boots Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04.03LTS

There were no problems at all with the old motherboard, but with the new one I experienced the screen going black after a variable amount of time, just as the O.P. described. This happened on both operating systems, so felt more like an issue with the motherboard than drivers.

After reading this post, I found the PCI Express link speed setting in the BIOS, which was set to 'Auto' and set it to 'Gen1'. This has completely fixed the problem.

Here's how I got to this setting in the BIOS:

Advanced view -> System Agent -> PEG Port Configuration ->Link Speed