12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 6:52 AM by Hardwood

radeon 7990 black screen issue , suspecting a faulty PSU( voltage drop)

nikopsu
      Spec :

MB : Asus maximus VI hero
      CPU : I7 4770K (no overclock)
      GPU : Radeon 7990 (no overclock)
      Memory : 16GB G.Skilll
      PSU : Corsair AX760 80+ platinum 760watt
      Driver :16.12.2

I have been having this problem for about 15 months now in which my PC would crash (black screen) on load. it used to reboot immediately but now it doesn't , before that I've had the ASUS "Anti-surge " (Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply) a bit of google showed me that this feature was software based and it was safe to disable it ,fast forward 9 months and I am having this problem .

Sometimes ,for some reason replacing the PCI-E cable ,plugging it in a different PSU socket , reinstalling drivers or rolling back to an older driver would somehow fix the problem temporally but for the last 6 months none of what I've mentioned would fix it.

5 months ago I went into the UEFI and found this :

voltage:
      3.3V : 3.104/3.116
      5V : 4.760
      12V : 11.904

at that time ,my pc would crash even when crossfire was disabled.
      OOCT readings with crossfire disabled qhxZU (I know OCCT is not trustworthy )

I disassembled my pc because I had to move , reassembled it after 3 months ,to my surprise it was working fine with crossfire enabled !!! I was mostly playing non demanding games (insurgency, civ v, skyrim). fast forward a month I installed gta v , played it for 10 hours ,pc crashed and my nightmare "rebooted" again, but this time this happened t6H3uCA.jpg , replaced the cable and within an hour same thing happened to the new cable.

now I have replaced the one PCI-E cable with 2 cables(my GPU requires 2 8pin), it's working fine with crossfire disabled but I can't play any game with crossfire enabled (even source games).

what I have tried :

my system is and was never OCed ,GPU and CPU temps are fine.
      -fresh windows install.
      -Reinstalling drivers(new and old).
      -Flashing mobo bios.
      -Downclocking as far as 250 on the core clock and 250 on the memory clock.
      -Using secondary Vbios set on the card.
      -Reinstalling .net Framework/visual C++.
      -The card has been in and out of the PC several times, so re-seating the card in the PCI-E slot has been confirmed not to fix it.
      -Attempted installing into another PCI-E slot, same issue.
      -Using CCleaner to get rid of leftover registry entries between cleaning with DDU and installing new drivers.
      -Ran prime95 ,found no errors.
      -Disabled ULPS ,same issue.

what I have not tried :

-flashing the Vbios.
      -adjusting GPU core voltage.

I can afford losing my PSU but not my GPU.

thanks
      edit : took some pics of my psu (in which I pulled my psu out of my case but didn't unplug any pci-e cable ) and now any 3D app causes black screen. It's definitely my psu

Message was edited by: Niko PSU