1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 13, 2017 8:06 AM by Hardwood

Sapphire R9 290 TRI X problem with radeon relive 16.12.1/2

etnamita

VGA - Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC edition       Core ~ 1000 / Mem ~ 1300

SYSTEM - Descktop

O.S. - Windows 7 64bit updated

DRIVER VERSION - Radeon Crimson 16.11.5 "some features are missing"

DISPLAY - Samsung UE37D 6500 led SMART tv 1920x1080 ~ 60hz connection DVI - HDMI

MOTHERBOARD - Asus Sabertooth 990FX r.2

CPU - AMD 3850 FX Vishera 4000Ghz stock with no turbo core enabled

POWER SUPPLY - Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W

RAM - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance ddr3 1600mhz

I apologize in advance for my bad English. Google gives me a hand.

I start by saying that after the distribution of 16.12.1 driver I found several faults with my video card, I want to clarify that I have never overclocked the card, the temperatures were always less than70° and the board has always performed well.

But when I tried to update with the drivers 16.12.1 PC crashed, I had to reboot, once rebooted the computer it looked ok, but I noticed that the fan control was gone from the control panel. I tried the MSI after burner and everything worked them ... but when I tried to run a game the screen went black, and I had to reset it again.

I also tried the software Sapphire tri-x I came with the VGA, but has only made matters worse causing Flikering (strange white horizontal lines flashing).

So I decided to follow the procedure you described in the forum:

Reset the parameters of tri-x Sapphire and MSI Afterburner on default settings after I uninstalled them both, I uninstalled AMD driver from the control panel, I rebooted the PC in Safe Mode to perform the 'utility DDU Driver uninstaller, after this I restarted Windows and I try to install the Driver 16.12.1 but the same problem as before I have no more control on the fan, and only way to regain control of the fans is to install msi or sapphire tri-x which magically make back the fan control on AMD's control panel.

I also tried all the latest 16.12.2 that made me more black screen, i also noticed that the Wattman settings did not cause any effect, whatever I did fan, core, memory left everything as default. Whereupon I decided to return to the good old 16.11.5 but unfortunately I do not understand how, but the drivers do not start more with Windows, and although manually open the control panel is not only gone the fan control but the control panel closes by itself. In addition to these problems now start any game even less demanding due to tearing (pictures by rotating the view are broken) very annoying, practically I can not try decently a title in my possession, things I could do before upgrading. (Doom, Besiege, Left For dead 1/2 and many more).

Now, I realize that you are excited about Vega and Ryzen ... I offer you my sincere good wishes, I also understand that my VGA is not much more recently, but I would like to understand what it is that happened with relive driver before it went everything always good.

A greeting by your buyer Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

• Re: Sapphire R9 290 TRI X problem with radeon relive 16.12.1/2
          Hardwood

etnamita wrote:

I decided to return to the good old 16.11.5 but unfortunately I do not understand how, but the drivers do not start more with Windows, and although manually open the control panel is not only gone the fan control but the control panel closes by itself.

I'm not sure I understand correctly, so..

Use DDU to uninstall again and go with the 16.11.5

And always.. always make a restore point before updating drivers.

I don't have a 480 but I'd think if really necessary you could use MSI Afterburner or  Sapphire's Trixx to control the fan.. maybe.