nelstar15

Most Influential Game of All Time

Discussion created by nelstar15 on Jan 12, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 by ajlueke

And we're back! Sorry it's been a few weeks since our last "Weekly Debate."

This week's topic came from a conversation I was having with some friends the other day. We were talking about DOOM, WarCraft 1, and Ultima Online, and that turned into a conversation about which game is the Most Influential of All Time.

I asked this question on Twitter/Facebook, just to try and get a feel if this would be a good topic, and it exploded. We got answers that include GoldenEye 64, GTA3, Quake, Gears, Ocarina of Time, Chrono Trigger, Duck Hunt, D&D, Halo, FFVII, Link to the Past, and many more.

So, I started thinking about what game was the most influential. I never really made my decision here the other night, so I thought about. I included a few factors: sustainability, impact on it's genre, and impact on future games. After toiling over it for a day, I came to the conclusion that it was either Ultima Online or The Legend of Zelda. This is a tough one y'all. But, I made my decision.

Ultima Online.

Let's look at a few reason as to why I came to this decision. First off, the game is still being played to this day. In September the UO servers will have been online for 20 years. That's 20 years of people playing the same MMO. But people still playing the game is only one factor. Let's talk about UO's impact on MMORPGs. Yes Merdian 59 was the first graphical MMO, but UO rocketed the genre to the masses. I mean it went from a few select people playing the genre to everyone with a decent connection giving it a shot. Companies took notice and started development on MMOs immediately. From there the genre went haywire from Anarchy Online to Everquest to World of Warcrat, arguably the most popular game ever. Impact on future games: Well for UO this could be a list that never ends, so I'll keep it short. 20 years after it's release, you're still seeing elements that Richard Garriott developed implemented into games. There are few games that UO didn't influence in some manner.

So with that, what do you think is the Most Influential Game of All Time?  I look forward to this debate.

**Remember to keep it friendly, and to respect that not everyone has the same opinion as you.**

Outcomes