4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 2:03 AM by jabarkis

RX 460 activity fluctuation and stuttering

jabarkis

Hi, I've recently installed a new XFX RX 460 2GB to replace an HD 6870, and although my max framerates seem (subjectively) a fair bit higher, I'm also experiencing considerable stutter in a variety of games, including Skyrim and Mirror's Edge, and also on the desktop (especially noticeable when dragging windows). Running Wattman on my second monitor, I see the "activity" line on the histogram fluctuating from update to update between 100% and 0%. The GPU and RAM lines stay steady. I've tried increasing the power limit to +10.

My specs are as follows:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

16GB RAM

I have two Dell U2410s connected, one by Display Port (primary), one by DVI (secondary)

Attached is an image of Wattman and CPUID HWMonitor showing a few minutes of Mirror's Edge gameplay. The CPU temp peaked at 70C and the GPU at 62C.

Any help or information would be much appreciated!

• Re: RX 460 activity fluctuation and stuttering
          qwixt

The first thing that I would try is disabling power efficiency if it is on, but your GPU clock is not fluctuating much, so I doubt it will change anything.

Looking at your pic, I wonder if your PC is CPU bottlenecked as the CPU is showing quite a bit of usage for just displaying the current desktop. Do you have something more substantial running on the other monitor?

Another thing to try is run with a single monitor (turn off the second monitor for the test) to take the windows manager out of the equation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jabarkis

Thank you for the suggestions, qwixt! Power efficiency is off, and I should have clarified that the screenshot was taken while running Mirror's Edge on my primary display (I cropped out the part of the image showing the game).

After leaving the computer on sleep overnight, it seems that the stutter may have resolved itself (at least for now). I've run Mirror's Edge, Skyrim, and a few other games maxed out for several minutes each, and all are running at or above a constant 60 fps.

I'd still be interested to know what might cause this kind of stuttering (and it may yet return). Can it be related to dust accumulating and then being moved around inside the case? I did give my case a bit of a clean when I installed the 460, but I wasn't particularly thorough. My other theory (and I really have no expertise on this) is that the card being installed while the computer was still warm from use may have reduced the quality of the connection (as a result of thermal expansion), which then resolved itself when the computer cooled down to room temperature overnight.

qwixt

The strange thing in the graph is the GPU clock stays at the same rate. If it was a heat issue, usually you see the card start to downclock to a lower frequency.

My one theory is that windows manager was making the GPU do weird things by switching focus from the game screen to relatively idle desktop, so the driver did not know whether to take it easy (desktop) or not. By shutting down or sleeping, windows manager finally got it right.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      jabarkis

Well, I spoke too soon. The problem seems to have returned. I think it's possible it's overheating-related (it's 30+ degrees C where I live), but my 6870 was fine and seemed to run a few degrees warmer than the 460 under the same conditions. I've noticed, too, that I have a weird glitch on start-up since installing the 460: instead of my motherboard splash screen, I see a 4:3 dark purplish square. Is it possible that I have a faulty card? I recently had to RMA another XFX card, a 4GB 460, for a computer I built for a friend, but the replacement has been fine; though that build is also based on a much more recent motherboard and processor.