4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2017 12:24 PM by andrew.m.bioquell

Multiple driver issues - flashing screen

andrew.m.bioquell

Hi Guys,

This is going to be a bit of a long post, so please bear with me. Also I'm not sure who to point the finger at so I'll probably post this in more than one location.

Hardware:

• HP Probook 470 G0
      • Intel HD 4000 Graphics and AMD Radeon HD 8750M (Switchable graphics)
      • Intel Core i5 3230M
      • 16GB Ram
      • Windows 7 Professional x64

Backstory:

This laptop has been out of use for a least a year and requires many Windows updates. I have installed the updates, including the latest Intel and AMD drivers that were available in Windows Update.

Result: Once this has been completed, and the computer rebooted after I login the screen starts flashing. To stop this you have to turn off Aero by changing to Windows Classic or Windows Basic. However, the flashing will continue in 3D accelerated parts of a web page i.e HTML 5/Flash sliders etc.

So I perform a system restore back to the point before the updates and drivers get installed. The flashing goes away again.

Re-run Windows update excluding the graphics drivers. Reboot the machine, and then computer starts up with what appears to be the basic Standard VGA driver supplied by Microsoft. I look in Device Manager and BOTH Intel and AMD graphics cards have got the yellow exclamation point, and are both throwing Error 43 and saying that the driver reported problems. I look in the event log and one of the AMD graphics driver processes has crashed at startup.

Next I go to HP's website, download their latest drivers, thinking there might be an issue with the Windows Update supplied ones, and maybe if I use the OEM updates instead we'll be OK. Apparently not. I install the AMD driver first, and reboot. Nothing changes, everything is still huge and showing errors in device manager. Next I install the Intel driver, reboot, and the resolution is fine. Login to Windows, and then the flashing starts all over again.

Summary:

• A Windows Update causes both Intel and AMD graphics drivers to error with "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
      • atieclxx.exe crashes on start up. Catalyst Control Center errors about adaptor/driver not being installed or has a problem.
      • Update AMD driver, problem above remains.
      • Update Intel driver after, screen starts to flash after login until Windows Aero themes are swtiched to Windows Basic or Windows Classic.
      • Flashing will continue in web items that require 3D acceleration.

I'm absolutely at a loss, and I really don't fancy manually installing one by one Windows Updates until I find the culprit.

Thanks

Andrew

Message was edited by: Andrew Murphy - Formatting correction

• Re: Multiple driver issues - flashing screen
          kingfish

I don't understand this >

"I'm absolutely at a loss, and I really don't fancy manually installing one by one Windows Updates until I find the culprit." If you haven't fully updated Win7...nothing will work correctly.

Windows will not update after a fresh install

Latest drivers for the laptop > Mobile

Install Intel/AMD graphics laptop > Laptop graphics update...How to

andrew.m.bioquell

What don't you understand from the above?

When I run Windows Update and install them all available non-optional updates (an ensure the latest drivers from MS are unticked), one of the updates of the over 100 available to the system causes both the AMD and Intel graphics drivers to fail on the next boot?

kingfish

Either update your OS or continue experiencing this issue. The 'optional' updates you mention have some of the most important upgrades.....SP1/C++/.netframeworks/etc. 

Like it or not...there's your answer.

andrew.m.bioquell

I think you'll find they are set to be optional updates for a reason, and installing .net frameworks etc takes up unessential resources when applications installed aren't written in them or using any parts that rely on them.

With that said, our systems do utilise these additional languages and thus are already installed.

Again you seem to be missing the point. The graphics drivers work perfectly fine until I then install all the missing updates that the system needs.

Today, I disabled the AMD card and I did a complete driver clean up using a third party utility. This appears to have fixed another Intel driver issue I was having with the AMD card disabled. I am yet to try installing the AMD card again however. This will be attempted when the computer is not needed by one of our staff (needed quite urgently). So from that I'm going to go out on a limb and say there was some corruption somewhere potentially but until I have had a chance to install the AMD driver again I cannot confirm that this is working.

Without wanting to be rude towards you, but from your answers I get the impression that either you are not very experienced in the field of IT and are just guessing, or you've been in the career too long and seem to be stuck in the past with misguided information. Your responses haven't been very helpful at all, and in someways a little condescending and rude.

I will update this post with further information when I have tested the AMD card again.

Thank you.